Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ac6 View Post
    I feel like this kind of topic brings out all the guys who truly feel that self-defense is a thing they have to worry about on an everyday basis.
    Lulz, true story.

I am (justifiably) more concerned about being killed by eating too much pizza and hamburgers than being killed by a knife or gun. #murica
    Ben

Comment

I feel like this kind of topic brings out all the guys who truly feel that self-defense is a thing they have to worry about on an everyday basis.
      Lol... I agree even though I have been a major contributor. My primary self defense method is avoidance. The only time I really take it into account is on the more remote hikes. Even then, I have never had to use anything but common sense. I don't carry anything for self defense on a daily basis.

Comment

Yup.

Comment

I don't carry for self defense. I carry a pocket knife for many uses throughout the day, but I'm not paranoid enough to think I need it to keep safe, nor deluded enough to think I would actually be able to use it effectively if I did.

I open things, cut ropes, packages, etc, cut fruit, loose threads, sharpen pencils, etc.

I carry the Kershaw Ken Onion Leek. It's made in america, affordable, sharp, strong, and looks real sleek. If I'm going to be working (building or fixing things) I carry my CRKT Zilla. It's a bit heavy for normal EDC but it only does three things (knife, pliers, socket for screwdriver) and does those three things better than any other multi tool I've ever used. When I have an expectation of needing a knife more often (camping, fishing, deployed) I carry a Benchmade Griptilian. It's also made in the USA. Not my favorite knife I've ever had, but it does most jobs well.

Comment

So I must have been yakking about knives too much around my father-in-law because I came home from a weekend away to find out that he had bought this for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-G0593-...r+mini+swagger

It's a nice looking knife and seems to fit my needs perfectly. Now of course I'm just waiting to find a use for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
              It's a nice looking knife and seems to fit my needs perfectly. Now of course I'm just waiting to find a use for it.
              Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Something will pop up!

Comment

I keep this one in the car:

https://www.crkt.com/eros-flat-handle-compact.html

I can't take one into work (airport) so it stays in the car. It's a very very sharp little knife with a stout blade.

Comment

With my wallet, keys, cellphone and often a AAA flashlight in my pockets already, a pocketknife would add too much weight. I keep a multitool in my car, which I am rarely far from.

Comment

Originally posted by dappertert View Post
                    With my wallet, keys, cellphone and often a AAA flashlight in my pockets already, a pocketknife would add too much weight. I keep a multitool in my car, which I am rarely far from.
                    I use my knife way more than my flashlight so I use the opposite approach, but I get it. I also only carry a credit card holder, not a wallet, and a single key.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbumman View Post
                      I'm kinda scratching my head at where this is all going but ok.

A knife isn't in my EDC because I'm on a plane so often but, when I'm home, I've grown partial to my CRKT M16 https://www.crkt.com/collection/m-16...automatic.html

That said, like a few others on here, if I'm in an actual situation where I'm going to want to use a knife (Camping, Hunting, etc) I prefer a sheath knife. Partially because it has more heft to it but also partially because it makes me feel like Bear Gryills.
                      This isn't an EDC knife, but you brought up plane travel and it reminded me of my Leather Style PS. I carry this everyday on my keychain and it's TSA approved. I've taken it with me on several trips, and have no problem at screening. The only blade is the scissors, so you just open it up and show all the tools on it and they pass it right through

Great to have a set of pliers and fairly sharp scissors on the road. Plus the nail file / screwdriver really comes in handy.

https://www.leatherman.com/style-ps-25.html
                      We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by APinNC View Post
                        This isn't an EDC knife, but you brought up plane travel and it reminded me of my Leather Style PS. I carry this everyday on my keychain and it's TSA approved. I've taken it with me on several trips, and have no problem at screening. The only blade is the scissors, so you just open it up and show all the tools on it and they pass it right through

Great to have a set of pliers and fairly sharp scissors on the road. Plus the nail file / screwdriver really comes in handy.

Not for nothing, but the linked item has a saw blade and a knife blade.
                        Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                        Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                        --Jason Isbell

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
                          Not for nothing, but the linked item has a saw blade and a knife blade.
                          Good catch. Not sure how I copied and pasted the wrong link

We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

ha. still wrong. but here are their tsa compliant devices.

https://www.leatherman.com/tsa

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                              ha. still wrong. but here are their tsa compliant devices.

https://www.leatherman.com/tsa

The URL is correct, redirects to the wrong item. Style PS is the item, not sure why the link goes to the Signal

Comment

Originally posted by APinNC View Post
                                The URL is correct, redirects to the wrong item. Style PS is the item, not sure why the link goes to the Signal
                                well, it successfully made me want a Signal, so there is that.

Comment

Working...
                                X