X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris Reeve Sebenza Mon-Friday
    Zero Tolerance 0456 Sat-Sun

Comment

Currently Kershaw Skyline as my EDC, was carrying a Kbar Dozier before that, but lost it in an Uber ride. I have a good amount, around 20 folders. I use them for all the things posted earlier, and anytime I need to cut anything. I just like knives, always have. I keep a cheap folder in my car as I used to have to open medical boxes sometimes an it is just handy to have. I also carry a Leatherman Supertool anytime i go out on my boat or kayak, very useful while fishing (cutting line, removing hooks, tightening a random loose reel screw, etc.) I also like the idea of having something on me as a last resort in a physical altercation. Going full ham with a knife is almost unstoppable. A lot of studies say they are more dangerous than a firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
        Currently Kershaw Skyline as my EDC, was carrying a Kbar Dozier before that, but lost it in an Uber ride. I have a good amount, around 20 folders. I use them for all the things posted earlier, and anytime I need to cut anything. I just like knives, always have. I keep a cheap folder in my car as I used to have to open medical boxes sometimes an it is just handy to have. I also carry a Leatherman Supertool anytime i go out on my boat or kayak, very useful while fishing (cutting line, removing hooks, tightening a random loose reel screw, etc.) I also like the idea of having something on me as a last resort in a physical altercation. Going full ham with a knife is almost unstoppable. A lot of studies say they are more dangerous than a firearm.
        A lot of studies find ways to prove what they want to prove. A knife as a defense weapon is a hard sale for me. Most carry knives are small and require multiple strikes to cause immediate harm. Someone can receive multiple knife would and power through them with adrenaline. Yes, they sustain injury but a sharp knife goes in a land about quickly. I have cut the snot out of my hand and noticed the stream of blood before the pain. Someone intending you harm will have plenty of time to do it before bleeding out from cuts. If you are going hand to hand an instructor usually tells you to go for the soft spots. Eyes, throat, crotch. A good foot stomp or knee strike can be effective. For all of those, I would take a baton or good flashlight over my pocket knife. Or my own foot.

Comment

A lot of studies say they are more dangerous than a firearm.
          A lot of studies are indulging in wishful thinking, then.

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
          A knife as a defense weapon is a hard sale for me.
          Agree. A larger attacker will be able to strike you without you even being able to make contact with a small knife. An attacker of the same size will also likely have the advantage of first strike and potentially a more effective impromptu weapon. A club or rock can each kill or incapacitate with a single head blow, while a small knife is unlikely to cause immediate incapacitation. Especially in the hands of someone not trained for knife combat.

I also cannot imagine a scenario in which I'm under attack but have the time to pull a knife from my pocket and unfold it before an assailant can knock it from my hands or injury me critically.

Comment

I can't think of a reason to carry one on a daily basis, and there are enough places that you can't bring one that it is a potential hassle. On camping trips or other outdoorsy events, I like to carry a knockoff laguiole knife/corkscrew that I've had for years, and I do have some lust for the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tact View Post
              I like to carry a knockoff laguiole knife/corkscrew that I've had for years, and I do have some lust for the real thing.
              You and me, both. First started looking into laguiole knives after I saw one in the movie SWAT. I've had a few cheap laguiole-type knives over the years, but never a real deal. It's on the (ever growing) list of things that just cost more than I want to pay, regardless of how neat they look.

Comment

Originally posted by frankjcampbell View Post
                Chris Reeve Sebenza Mon-Friday
                Zero Tolerance 0456 Sat-Sun
                Very nice!

Comment

I can't think of a reason to carry one on a daily basis, and there are enough places that you can't bring one that it is a potential hassle. On camping trips or other outdoorsy events, I like to carry a knockoff laguiole knife/corkscrew that I've had for years, and I do have some lust for the real thing.
                  I carry one daily and have never had an issue with taking it places. I don't carry to the airport or sporting ng events because... Well, duh.

Comment

I carry one daily and have never had an issue with taking it places. I don't carry to the airport or sporting ng events because... Well, duh.
                    My workplace does not allow weapons, so that's out. I don't see the point if I'm running to the grocery store or other boring suburban errands. It makes more sense on vacation or other leisure occasions where I might conceivably be involved in a picnic, but those are more likely to involve sporting events, airports, or museums.

Comment

My workplace does not allow weapons, so that's out. I don't see the point if I'm running to the grocery store or other boring suburban errands. It makes more sense on vacation or other leisure occasions where I might conceivably be involved in a picnic, but those are more likely to involve sporting events, airports, or museums.
                      All a personal decision, of course. Several posts back I agreed ot wasn't a requirement or anything. I use it often but also would survive without it.

Comment

I don't carry it daily because work has a "no weapons" policy, but I have an Opinel No. 8 on top of my dresser that makes short work of envelopes and boxes and does all kinds of useful jobs on the weekend. Few $15 purchases provide so much utility.

Comment

A lot of studies find ways to prove what they want to prove. A knife as a defense weapon is a hard sale for me. Most carry knives are small and require multiple strikes to cause immediate harm. Someone can receive multiple knife would and power through them with adrenaline. Yes, they sustain injury but a sharp knife goes in a land about quickly. I have cut the snot out of my hand and noticed the stream of blood before the pain. Someone intending you harm will have plenty of time to do it before bleeding out from cuts. If you are going hand to hand an instructor usually tells you to go for the soft spots. Eyes, throat, crotch. A good foot stomp or knee strike can be effective. For all of those, I would take a baton or good flashlight over my pocket knife. Or my own foot.
                          I'm an MD, have been for the last 15 years. I would much rather be shot than sliced and diced. A blade does far more internal damage than a gun shot wound. Knives do the worst damage as a matter of you know, real life fact.

Comment

I'm an MD, have been for the last 15 years. I would much rather be shot than sliced and diced. A blade does far more internal damage than a gun shot wound. Knives do the worst damage as a matter of you know, real life fact.
                            It's not that as much as the likely hood of landing them in hand to hand against an aggressive attacker

Comment

Probably the reason [MENTION=4677]Shade[/MENTION] sees so many more serious knife injuries is because serious gunshot wounds result in trips to the morgue, not trips to the hospital. I'm not finding the statistics to support it off the top of my googling but I think it's pretty well established that the mortality rate of gunshot wounds is higher than the mortality rate of stab wounds.

Also, the level of trauma caused by a gunshot wound will vary widely based on the type of ammunition used. Hollow points and other fragmenting/expanding rounds are specifically designed to transmit as much kinetic impact as possible to the target, break apart on impact and tear up your insides, and cause near-instantaneous death/incapacitation through catastrophic organ failure and massive internal bleeding. These types of rounds are specifically marketed for home defense and other uses where the user wishes to maximize "stopping power" against the intended target and minimize the risk of collateral damage. (If the bullet hits the intended target and stops, it's not going to pass through and hit some other, unintended person/thing.) Whereas a typical kind of solid, target-shooting round might go straight through the victim, causing little kinetic impact and relatively minimal damage if no vital organs or arteries are directly hit.
                              Ben

Comment

There's a reason no one says "don't bring a gun to a knife fight".

Comment

Working...
                                X