Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    Most recently it came in handy at a party. The limes weren't cut and the host was Mia. Nobody wanted to dig through the drawers for knives. So I popped out my Kershaw Amplitude and sliced it real quick.
    Eh, I never used my knives for food. I always thought it was kind of gross to use the same knife for cutting food that I used for opening dirty boxes. Plus it leaves the knife sticky. Blech.

And yeah, you could wash the knife before/after, but in that time I could find a clean, appropriate kitchen knife, too.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
      Eh, I never used my knives for food. I always thought it was kind of gross to use the same knife for cutting food that I used for opening dirty boxes. Plus it leaves the knife sticky. Blech.

And yeah, you could wash the knife before/after, but in that time I could find a clean, appropriate kitchen knife, too.
      I agree with this... But as you can see I have multiples. Some of them I would never use on food. Some of them haven't seen anything more than a string and an envelope. All of them get cleaned frequently as well. Like actually cleaned not wiped with a napkin. If there is a more appropriate knife available, I use it for sure. Although when the hot finally came by and got out a knife it was so dull I still used mine.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
        I consider knives like watches. Do I need it? No. Does it come in handy? Yep. Are they cool? Yep.
        Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm at with them. I didn't carry a knife for a long time (and did just fine), but now that I've recently gotten into the habit, I find myself using it frequently. And much like watches, I manage to find interest in researching models and specs and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Deke View Post
          Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm at with them. I didn't carry a knife for a long time (and did just fine), but now that I've recently gotten into the habit, I find myself using it frequently. And much like watches, I manage to find interest in researching models and specs and such.
          Yup, nailed it.

Comment

Ok. So it sounds like a good group of people around here carry a knife. For those of you who do carry a knife, do you find that it creates additional bulk in your pocket? Especially when combined with car keys, change, cell phone, etc.

I slimmed my pocket clutter several years ago going with a money clip and a separate slim wallet for credit cards. I worry that throwing a knife in the front pocket of my jeans (or shorts in the summer) will take my back to my bulky pocket days.

Comment

I myself have carried an Opinel in the past. I rotate between a Kershaw Leek and Kershaw Clash. They add minimal bulk in my pockets in NYC.

Comment

I've got a small pocketknife I carry in the tiny pocket in my jeans along with my Kiribi lighter.
                https://huckberry.com/store/santa-fe...ne-knife-amber

Comment

This one. Every day.

Unless I'm traveling by air, or attending a concert, or a ball game.
                  instagram.com/cutandbasted
                  cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                    Ok. So it sounds like a good group of people around here carry a knife. For those of you who do carry a knife, do you find that it creates additional bulk in your pocket? Especially when combined with car keys, change, cell phone, etc.

I slimmed my pocket clutter several years ago going with a money clip and a separate slim wallet for credit cards. I worry that throwing a knife in the front pocket of my jeans (or shorts in the summer) will take my back to my bulky pocket days.
                    It does a little, yes, but it depends on the size of the knife. I utilize the clip on my knife and clip it to my pocket, so I am careful not to put anything else in that pocket. So not only does it add bulk for me, it also renders that pocket useless for anything else (I don't want to snag my hand on the knife or clip while reaching in and cut myself). I only carry my knife while wearing chinos or jeans, though.

Comment

I usually carry a CRKT P.E.C.K. which is sub 3" and is very thin. I clip it into my back pocket so that it does not interfere with grabbing my phone or wallet.
                      https://www.crkt.com/delilah-s-p-e-c-k.html

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post

I hate pocket bulk. I have 1 key on my Keychain and only carry a card carrier with 2 credit cards and a license. My pocket knives go in my back pocket and it isn't bad

Comment

I don't generally carry a knife because I don't like having excess "stuff" in my pockets. I have a knife in my car, another one in my briefcase, and a whole bunch of them a home. As someone else mentioned earlier, I don't use the blade as much as I do the scissors, the finger nail file and the tweezers, but it's still an easy thing to have around. If I carry one I carry either a small Victorinox swiss army knife (this one) or a small Leatherman multi-tool (this one). Both of the two I linked to are small and decidedly UN-tactical, so they won't scare the locals if I pull on out of my pocket.

Comment

I'm just about to order a couple more of these, I just managed to lose my last one. Been carrying them daily ever since they came out (five or six years ago, if I recall correctly?). They're tiny, the mechanism is robust, and you don't have to worry about beating up the blade, just swap out for a new one. I've used them in industrial settings and beaten the hell out of them, and never had one fail. I've found it to be a lot more useful than a more conventional pocket knife, since I only ever used them like utility knives anyway. Also dirt cheap, so if you have to ditch it going through security you don't have to cry yourself to sleep. Currently going for just shy of $8 on Amazon.
                            https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-EAB-Po.../dp/B0016KHW2W

Comment

Originally posted by JaimeGarcia View Post
                              I'm just about to order a couple more of these, I just managed to lose my last one. Been carrying them daily ever since they came out (five or six years ago, if I recall correctly?). They're tiny, the mechanism is robust, and you don't have to worry about beating up the blade, just swap out for a new one. I've used them in industrial settings and beaten the hell out of them, and never had one fail. I've found it to be a lot more useful than a more conventional pocket knife, since I only ever used them like utility knives anyway. Also dirt cheap, so if you have to ditch it going through security you don't have to cry yourself to sleep. Currently going for just shy of $8 on Amazon.
                              https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-EAB-Po.../dp/B0016KHW2W
                              Along these lines... I worked for Wal-Mart for a summer in college. We all got "issued" our own retractable utility knives (green if you were right-handed, red for lefties) and holsters. And they were the most useful thing I've ever had... my parents stole mine from me, pretty sure they still use it.
                              Ben

Comment

victorinox sd classic

Comment

Working...
                                X