No announcement yet.

Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Kershaw Leek in the "blackwash" finish and I really like it. Sharp blade, nice size, nice and slim for EDC. I really like the weight and feel of the all-steel blackwash in the hand, and the way it holds body warmth when it's been sitting in your pocket, versus the ones with aluminum scales. My only complaints are that the pocket clip comes installed upside down (leaving the blade "tip up" in the pocket, versus the safer tip down orientation) and IMO the open assist could potentially make the knife unsafe to carry if the (rather delicate-looking) blade lock were to break. The pocket clip can be moved to the correct position, at least.
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      The pocket clip can be moved to the correct position, at least.
      I believe you mean preferred. Otherwise you can start an internet war in some circles lol. I carry tip up on all my knives. I dont care which direction you are orienting your knife, if it pops open in your pocket its going to be a bad day for you. The blade lock doesnt hold the blade closed, it holds it open. There is an internal mechanism called detent that does that. In some knives there is a ball on the frame and a divot in the blade that provides resistance. In the leek the same torsion (spring) bar that forces it open also forces it closed. You have to push it past the fulcrum point to make the torsion bar push it open instead of closed. With that said, the bar can break. Its one reason I dont personally like assisted knives.
      Last edited by idvsego; November 7, 2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
        The Kershaw Skyline is my favorite Kershaw so far.
        I second the kershaw skyline. It's a great inexpensive knife in it's basic configuration, but if you want to go crazy you can opt for a damascus blade or whatever scales you prefer.

Comment

DocDave,
          Thanks sir! Yeah, for me a small pocketknife is more of trusty tool than a weapon. You can find so many uses for them. When I was younger, I always carried a Swiss Army PK. Nowadays, I keep one clipped to my pants pocket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
            I second the kershaw skyline. It's a great inexpensive knife in it's basic configuration, but if you want to go crazy you can opt for a damascus blade or whatever scales you prefer.
            I’ll agree with the Skyline. I’ve carried it lot. If you need a heavy duty knife, check out the Kershaw Barge. Stays sharp and is a great shape for boxes and utility work. The other end is made to be used for prying,etc. If you need a work knife, it’s great. It’s heavy though, so it isn’t EDC for me.

Comment

Well, I've been a Dad for more than a quarter century, so of course I carry a pocket knife !

When I'm working in the woods, I have both a Ka-Bar and a Leatherman hanging off my belt, but for everyday pocket carry (from shorts to tux) it's the classic Swiss micro...

Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                [MENTION=17539]Sheepdog149[/MENTION] Your photo looks like something out of a LL Bean catalog! Nicely done.

[MENTION=7205]Galcobar[/MENTION] Yeah, I was having a hard time figuring out how to spell that word. I figured I would just sound it out and hope the heck the rest of you reading the post would know what the heck I was talking about.

[MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION] Thanks for the tip. Sounds like it might a good weekend project for me.
                Careful with the torx scews. They are frequently loctited and not always the best quality, they love to strip.
                I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Martigan View Post
                  Careful with the torx scews. They are frequently loctited and not always the best quality, they love to strip.
                  I have rounded multiple torx bits while working on my knives, not a screw yet though. If you have a stubborn one, a little time in the freezer will make the loctite a bit brittle and easier to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by minty007 View Post
                    Well, I've been a Dad for more than a quarter century, so of course I carry a pocket knife !

When I'm working in the woods, I have both a Ka-Bar and a Leatherman hanging off my belt, but for everyday pocket carry (from shorts to tux) it's the classic Swiss micro...

classic and classy.

Comment

I have rounded multiple torx bits while working on my knives, not a screw yet though. If you have a stubborn one, a little time in the freezer will make the loctite a bit brittle and easier to work with.
                      I'll have to try this. I have a Para 2 that I was going to try tip up, but gave up after realizing I was actually twisting the torx bit that I was using.

Comment

Originally posted by Deke View Post
                        I'll have to try this. I have a Para 2 that I was going to try tip up, but gave up after realizing I was actually twisting the torx bit that I was using.
                        some people go the opposite way and blow a hair dryer on it for a while too. Also, good knife.

Comment

some people go the opposite way and blow a hair dryer on it for a while too. Also, good knife.
                          Ditto. I carry the para 2 when I'm more casual or outdoors (at least when the Ka-Bar isn't appropriate). Very happy with it.

Comment

Freezer sounds like a good idea. That little snap when a screw breaks loose can be exciting. lol

Comment

I have a Swiss Army knife in my bag. In my pocket, I have either an Opinel #8 or Buck Canoe knife that I use the smaller blade for doing things like opening boxes. I have a single blade Swiss Army knife somewhere. I think my wife swiped it for her purse

Comment

Buck is great, but Case makes a really nice variety of classic Canoes if that's a design you like.

Comment

Working...
                                X