Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    I really want a nice wood scale knife too. I have a little buck non-locking folder without a clip now. It is a nice, subtle knife that sits at the bottom of your pocket and doesnt scare anyone when you take it out. But i really want the new mini Crooked River (which they totally missed the mark by not calling the Crooked Creek)

or maybe a NorthFork
    Its a good knife for sure. But the orange accents around the pivot screw look good while the plastic orange spacer really does not.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Martigan View Post
      Its a good knife for sure. But the orange accents around the pivot screw look good while the plastic orange spacer really does not.
      Yeah, all a preference for sure. One cool thing is you can always cerakote it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

My most expensive knife is my Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556-1. It is my go-to edc knife.

Not my pic, but this is it...
        I saw this one in-person the other day. It is way better than the original Mini Grip IMO because the grip texture is smoother and wouldn't chew up your pants so much when clipped in your pocket... The blue accents are also nice.

I really want a nice wood scale knife too. I have a little buck non-locking folder without a clip now. It is a nice, subtle knife that sits at the bottom of your pocket and doesnt scare anyone when you take it out. But i really want the new mini Crooked River (which they totally missed the mark by not calling the Crooked Creek)

or maybe a NorthFork
        Saw both of these in-person as well... to my surprise I did not care much for the Mini Crooked River. The size is too big and the shape too aggressive for what I would want. I liked the orange bolster but the orange aluminum accents around the screw were already scratched-up on the model I looked at, which was otherwise in pristine shape. And the blade was not perfectly centered in the frame when closed, which is a big no-no to me on a knife in this price range.

But I really liked the North Fork. The overall shape is a little blockier and less elegant than I would prefer but it is a good size and just a lovely little object to hold.

I ended up buying the North Fork as well as an itty bitty Buck Knight that was on sale for $35 (and a much nicer, more solid-feeling knife than that pricetag would suggest).

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          I saw this one in-person the other day. It is way better than the original Mini Grip IMO because the grip texture is smoother and wouldn't chew up your pants so much when clipped in your pocket... The blue accents are also nice.

Saw both of these in-person as well... to my surprise I did not care much for the Mini Crooked River. The size is too big and the shape too aggressive for what I would want. I liked the orange bolster but the orange aluminum accents around the screw were already scratched-up on the model I looked at, which was otherwise in pristine shape. And the blade was not perfectly centered in the frame when closed, which is a big no-no to me on a knife in this price range.

But I really liked the North Fork. The overall shape is a little blockier and less elegant than I would prefer but it is a good size and just a lovely little object to hold.

I ended up buying the North Fork as well as an itty bitty Buck Knight that was on sale for $35 (and a much nicer, more solid-feeling knife than that pricetag would suggest).

The upgraded mini grip is definitely way better than the standard.

The full size crooked river is big. I don't like that size either. I am waiting on the mini that is still on pre-order. No ship date yet.

At first I thought you said you got a North fork for $35. I was going to shove my money through the phone. I really like the NF and might end up with it if the mini crooked river doesn't live up to my expectations.

Buck makes a good knife for the money. I like this little toothpick. It's my "old man" knife.

Comment

Usually I carry an Old Timer 3 blade folder. Since receiving a Leatherman Skeletool for Christmas, I’ve been carrying that everyday. It’s certainly not as pleasing to the eyes as a folder with different scales or accents, but the pliers and other tools certainly have come in handy quite often.

Comment

Originally posted by sethtvaughn View Post
              Usually I carry an Old Timer 3 blade folder. Since receiving a Leatherman Skeletool for Christmas, I’ve been carrying that everyday. It’s certainly not as pleasing to the eyes as a folder with different scales or accents, but the pliers and other tools certainly have come in handy quite often.
              I found a beat up old Skeletool in a parking lot around here a few years back. I leave it in a desk drawer at my office. It has definitely come in handy (including me using the handle as an improvised hammer ).
              Ben

Comment

I rarely leave home without a trusty pocket knife.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone carry a pocket knife?

Have a Knife and flashlight on me 99% of the time.

Comment

Well after carrying the knife daily for over a month now I am glad I do. The knife has just become an EDC item. Makes me wonder why I waited so long before joining you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

Any follow up opinion on the North Fork?

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      Well after carrying the knife daily for over a month now I am glad I do. The knife has just become an EDC item. Makes me wonder why I waited so long before joining you guys.
                      That is pretty much what everyone says once they carry it for a while. Not an "OMG I will die without it" item but darn handy once its always there.

Comment

Any follow up opinion on the North Fork?
                        No complaints except that the knife is still a bit bigger/thicker than I would like for EDC. I generally opt for a Kershaw Leek in blackwash when I'm in a jacket + tie. I really like the slimness, heft, and simplicity of the blackwash Leek, and also (perhaps a bit oddly) the way the steel scales hold the warmth from my hand. I do opt for the North Fork when I'm dressed more casually.

I also just feel more comfortable actually using the Leek because it is so much less expensive than a Benchmade. The Shinola x Benchmade Valet is available again, which would probably be my ideal knife, but TBH I am happy enough with the Leek for day-to-day usage and probably should have just bought that to begin with.
                        Ben

Comment

or maybe a NorthFork
                          Delayed response, but I'd also like to get a wood scale "gentleman's folder" knife at some point. I REALLY like the looks of the of the Shinola Benchmade collaboration 485 Valet. Although I'm not wild about the firm price ($200).

Another brand I like the looks of is Mcusta. I don't know much about their model line-up, but they make some handsome folders.

Last edited by Deke; March 9, 2018, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I decided to pick up a Mini Crooked River. Everything else was a substitute for what I really wanted so I decided to use the good old dappered rule of spending once. Glad I did. I only have 1 "complaint, and that is the blade doesn't drop when you disengage the lock. You have to fold it down. Super minor quibble because I can still close it with one hand. Just can't flick it closed like my mini griptillian

Comment

[MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION] that is fine looking knife. Nice purchase sir.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                                [MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION] that is fine looking knife. Nice purchase sir.
                                Thanks. It looks even nicer in person. If Benchmade makes it available in their customizer I would consider ponying up that coin. This looks super nice but the orange backspace isn't my favorite thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X