Half canvassed...a gimmick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half canvassed...a gimmick?

What do you guys think? Is half canvassing just another marketing ploy or does it really have a positive impact over a fully fused suit?

What brands do you think are doing half canvassing correctly and at the right price point?

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

Spier and Mackay, SuitSupply.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
      Spier and Mackay, SuitSupply.
      Ya those two seem to spring to mind. I personally find Spier and Mackay fabrics to look very bland compared to Suit Supply.

Comment

Depends on the use. S&M trends toward more conservative, timeless colors/patterns. SS tends toward more fashion-forward options.

Both are excellent at their price points, especially if you can get in on the SuitSupply outlet.

Comment

Wouldn't the Suit Supply outlet contain lesser quality stuff made specifically for the outlet?

Comment

Apparently not.

Comment

Is there really much of a difference in drape between half canvassed and fully glued?

Comment

Originally posted by wooltie View Post
                Wouldn't the Suit Supply outlet contain lesser quality stuff made specifically for the outlet?

I realize there was just a lengthy discussion on this but the SuitSupply outlet is one of the few exceptions to the rule. Their outlet isn't a typical outlet. It an online only shop they open for a week or two several times a year and the merchandise is mostly low stock of past season items. Nothing is made specifically for the outlet like you find at the JCrew or Banana Republic outlets. The prices are excellent but its all final sale so if you don't know how their stuff fits it can be a gamble.

Edit: Another brand that doesn't get much play here is Club Monaco. Their suits are pretty well made. They're not worth it at full price but are a good value when they hit the sale section and they run a promo code on top of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                  I realize there was just a lengthy discussion on this but the SuitSupply outlet is one of the few exceptions to the rule. Their outlet isn't a typical outlet. It an online only shop they open for a week or two several times a year and the merchandise is mostly low stock of past season items. Nothing is made specifically for the outlet like you find at the JCrew or Banana Republic outlets. The prices are excellent but its all final sale so if you don't know how their stuff fits it can be a gamble.
                  Nice. Well I'm in Toronto so we get screwed on pricing and selection no matter what.

Comment

Nice. Well I'm in Toronto so we get screwed on pricing and selection no matter what.

Depends. Spier and Mackay are a Toronto based company, and I've been to their Mississauga location, prices are quite good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by araziza View Post
                      Depends. Spier and Mackay are a Toronto based company, and I've been to their Mississauga location, prices are quite good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I don't consider 450 plus 13 percent tax for something partially glued and made in a sweatshop to be good value but that's the market we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                        Depends on the use. S&M trends toward more conservative, timeless colors/patterns. SS tends toward more fashion-forward options.

Both are excellent at their price points, especially if you can get in on the SuitSupply outlet.
                        Any idea when the outlet is likely to open back up? I'm hoping to jump on the brown suede chukkas, if they are included in the outlet sale.

These are the current ones: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/shoes...tml?cgid=Shoes. I imagine they won't put them in the sale but keep selling them, but I think they had similar designs in previous seasons that might be included.

Comment

Nary a clue, sorry.

Comment

I don't consider 450 plus 13 percent tax for something partially glued and made in a sweatshop to be good value but that's the market we live in.

Well someone's a ray of sunshine today.

Evidence they're made in a sweatshop? Or are you just generalizing that made in asia automatically = sweatshop?

Comment

They are all certainly very expensive. Most of us here become inoculated to higher prices because we're used to them. I have friends who are much wealthier than I am who wouldn't dream of spending what I spend on "affordable" clothes. (Mind you, they think far less than I do about dropping $50,00 or $150,000 on home improvements).

Anyway, on your question: I know that [MENTION=14764]dpark[/MENTION] thinks half canvassing is probably a gimmick, and I think he is more knowledgable about construction than I am, so I take his views seriously. Certainly, half-canvassed suits also contain considerable amounts of adhesive. I think of it by parallel with shoe construction: in the same way that online fora always tell people to buy half-canvassed suits rather than fused ones, so they always tell people to buy Goodyear welted shoes, or at least blake-stitched ones, rather than cemented ones. In both cases, the logic is that the use of glue in the cheaper construction signifies inferior quality and durability. Now, Goodyear welted shoes are certainly far older than half-canvassed suits as a selling point, and I wouldn't say that they are a gimmick. However, they absolutely are part of the same process of mechanization as are cemented construction. Even today, bespoke shoemakers will never used a goodyear welt, because it relies upon considerable amounts of adhesive ("gemming") and so is inferior to a handmade shoe. Goodyear came up with the welt as a cheaper and quicker alternative to hand stitching. Cementing a shoe is just a further development of the cheapening and quickening of the shoe-making process.

Comment

Working...
                              X