Question for the Denimheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dpark View Post
    Is the person hemming your jeans creating the right kind of hem? Raw, non-distressed denim that has been hemmed should basically be indistinguishable from denim that was hemmed to the same length during manufacturing. The only noticeable difference should generally be the stitch.

Now if you're talking about distressed denim, yeah, taking the factory hem off distressed denim will make it look strange.
    I've hemmed numerous pairs of jeans. Most look fine, but I don't cuff them. I hemmed one pair of J.Crew 770 jeans in a light wash. Same situation - bought a 33x32. Wanted to wear them casually with sneakers and boat shoes. Had them hemmed 2". Should have just left them as is, and dealt with the extra fabric. I only asked about these particular jeans because I had never previously purchased raw denim. Never felt the need to spend the extra $. But since I got them at a steal, I wanted to avoid fucking them up.

I think I've made my decision. Will likely hem them on the shorter side to wear to work with loafers or oxfords or chukkas. Again, thanks for the insight!
    instagram.com/cutandbasted
    cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

Like this...
      cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by sdjackofclubs View Post
        I've hemmed numerous pairs of jeans. Most look fine, but I don't cuff them. I hemmed one pair of J.Crew 770 jeans in a light wash. Same situation - bought a 33x32. Wanted to wear them casually with sneakers and boat shoes. Had them hemmed 2". Should have just left them as is, and dealt with the extra fabric. I only asked about these particular jeans because I had never previously purchased raw denim. Never felt the need to spend the extra $. But since I got them at a steal, I wanted to avoid fucking them up.

I think I've made my decision. Will likely hem them on the shorter side to wear to work with loafers or oxfords or chukkas. Again, thanks for the insight!
        Your light wash jeans looked strange because they were distressed. Hemming them lost the distressing on the factory hem, so the hem didn't match any more. (Though I'd expect them to look strange cuffed or not in this case.) This isn't an issue for raw denim, because there is no distressing on the factory hem.

Nothing wrong with hemming them short for loafers/etc., though.

Comment

Your light wash jeans looked strange because they were distressed. Hemming them lost the distressing on the factory hem, so the hem didn't match any more. (Though I'd expect them to look strange cuffed or not in this case.) This isn't an issue for raw denim, because there is no distressing on the factory hem.

Nothing wrong with hemming them short for loafers/etc., though.
          Now I know. Don't hem light denim. Though, I'm sure that will be my last pair of light denim...at least for the foreseeable future. Thanks again!
          cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by sdjackofclubs View Post
            Now I know. Don't hem light denim. Though, I'm sure that will be my last pair of light denim...at least for the foreseeable future. Thanks again!
            Not light denim. Distressed denim. If you hem pre-distressed dark denim, the hem will also look kind of strange.

Comment

Not light denim. Distressed denim. If you hem pre-distressed dark denim, the hem will also look kind of strange.
              Got it. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
              cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

What ac6 said. Double cuffed with sneakers and hemmed uncuffed with more dressy shoes.

Comment

I'd wash the raw denim prior to hemming it in case you lose some length.

Comment

For distressed denim you can shorten the inseam while preserving the look of the factory hem by doing a "euro hem" or "magic hem". There appear to be some variations of it and some produce nicer outcomes than others. This video is the best version of the hem that I have found: https://youtu.be/eQ8CMCLS5rY
                    Last edited by Amesbury; June 20, 2017, 09:05 PM. Reason:

Comment

Working...
                    X