Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Denimheads

Good Morning Gents!

Yesterday I purchased a pair of J.Crew 770 Japanese raw selvedge denim jeans at the J.Crew sample sale here in NYC. Great deal! The jeans were only $40! BUT, they are long. Normally I buy a 33 x 30, and either cuff them once, or hem them. These are 33 x 32. They are long! Considering the quality and style of the denim, would it be sacrilegious to hem these? I'm certainly not a denim purist. I like the look of a hemmed jean, and also a cuffed jean. Though, there is something goofy looking about a hemmed jean that is then cuffed.

Just looking for some insight. Some opinions.

Thank you.

Sam
    instagram.com/cutandbasted
    cutandbasted.tumblr.com

if you hem them, the only thing you lose is the chain stitch.

though there are a very few denim specialty places which have the particular machine to hem with that chain stitch.

Comment

Originally posted by sdjackofclubs View Post
      Good Morning Gents!

Yesterday I purchased a pair of J.Crew 770 Japanese raw selvedge denim jeans at the J.Crew sample sale here in NYC. Great deal! The jeans were only $40! BUT, they are long. Normally I buy a 33 x 30, and either cuff them once, or hem them. These are 33 x 32. They are long! Considering the quality and style of the denim, would it be sacrilegious to hem these? I'm certainly not a denim purist. I like the look of a hemmed jean, and also a cuffed jean. Though, there is something goofy looking about a hemmed jean that is then cuffed.

Just looking for some insight. Some opinions.

Thank you.

Sam
      I always hem my selvedge. I hate cuffing jeans.

Comment

I always hem my selvedge so I can still cuff them, so like a inch long.

Comment

No worries hemming the denim. Just find a shop that knows how to match thread color and stitching so they don't look obviously "hemmed". You're in Brooklyn? Should be no problem to find a suitable shop. Might cost you $20 or $30, however...
          Mark

Comment

haha when i googl'd for that pic i found this HAHA it's so bad... wait for it... wait for it...

Comment

i found a ton of places online that you can mail them your jeans and they will do them up.

https://www.railcarfinegoods.com/Cha...ce_p/rshem.htm
              http://denimtherapy.com/service-hems/

etc

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                haha when i googl'd for that pic i found this HAHA it's so bad... wait for it... wait for it...

Point taken!
                cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
                  No worries hemming the denim. Just find a shop that knows how to match thread color and stitching so they don't look obviously "hemmed". You're in Brooklyn? Should be no problem to find a suitable shop. Might cost you $20 or $30, however...
                  I am in Brooklyn. I have a pretty good tailor by my office. I'm inclined to go the Sid Mashburn route and hem them to be worn without a cuff. My guy can certainly do that. Thank you!
                  cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

I always hem my selvedge so I can still cuff them, so like a inch long.
                    Will consider this too. Thank you!
                    cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

I like the look of a hemmed jean, and also a cuffed jean. Though, there is something goofy looking about a hemmed jean that is then cuffed
                      What do you mean? Essentially every pair of jeans is hemmed. Do you mean you don't like the look of jeans that are hemmed short and then cuffed? That could be a bit much, so decide if you want to cuff and hem at the appropriate length.

If you normally cuff a 30 and these are 32, you should definitely get them hemmed, though. Hem them to 30 if that's the look you want. Don't cuff 3-4 inches of material. That's generally not a good look.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                        What do you mean? Essentially every pair of jeans is hemmed. Do you mean you don't like the look of jeans that are hemmed short and then cuffed? That could be a bit much, so decide if you want to cuff and hem at the appropriate length.

If you normally cuff a 30 and these are 32, you should definitely get them hemmed, though. Hem them to 30 if that's the look you want. Don't cuff 3-4 inches of material. That's generally not a good look.
                        Meaning, I have previously hemmed 32" jeans to 30" with the intention of cuffing them, but find that the finished bottom looks too...polished, for lack of a better word. I'll probably end up hemming them to 28" so I can just wear them without a cuff. Thanks for the insight!
                        cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

Hahahahaha. Nice. thanks for the morning smile/laugh.

Comment

I think it really depends on how you usually wear your jeans. I typically double-cuff mine, but I think that only looks good with sneakers and workwear boots. I'd prefer to have a jean hemmed to no break if I were going to wear them with wingtips or dress boots.

Comment

Meaning, I have previously hemmed 32" jeans to 30" with the intention of cuffing them, but find that the finished bottom looks too...polished, for lack of a better word. I'll probably end up hemming them to 28" so I can just wear them without a cuff. Thanks for the insight!
                              Is the person hemming your jeans creating the right kind of hem? Raw, non-distressed denim that has been hemmed should basically be indistinguishable from denim that was hemmed to the same length during manufacturing. The only noticeable difference should generally be the stitch.

Now if you're talking about distressed denim, yeah, taking the factory hem off distressed denim will make it look strange.

Comment

Working...
                              X