No announcement yet.

Allen Edmonds 2 for $200 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the walnut Player's and they appear to legitimately be seconds. There are a couple of issues with sloppy sewing on the soles and some blemishes on the leather that aren't very noticeable. They came in a new box and bagged in plastic with black paper.

But I don't know how they could claim the brown chromexcel Bayfield's are "factory seconds". They were clearly worn with creasing, rub and lace marks on the tongue, a small puncture and small tear in the leather. They did not have the original laces. This is not consistent with factory mistakes. It is consistent with being worn. A lot. They arrived in a beat-up box without the plastic bags or paper.

I'm keeping them since the marks aren't too noticeable when worn and $200 for both is still a sweet deal.

But AE needs to clarify that when they say "seconds" they could, in fact, mean "used".

Comment

GUYS IM SO EXCITED I JUST GOT MY FIRST TWO PAIRS OF REAL MAN SHOES!!!!!

So my walnut Players and brown MacNeils came in today, and both look fantastic. They were listed as seconds, but aside from a nick on the sole and maybe a small droplet stain on one of the MacNeils, I couldn't find anything wrong with them.

The Players are a little tight, like everyone has been saying, but I'm hoping (like Zerostyle I think) that they will stretch out with shoe trees. The MacNeils were maaaayybe a touch large with a bit of heal slippage, but otherwise fit wonderfully. Both 11D. I'm hoping the MacNeils mold to my foot over time and the little extra heel space goes away.

So dumb question time, but these are my first pair of welted leather soled shoes, and I'm noticing that they're "stiffer," for lack of a better term, than other shoes. When I step they don't bend as much (or at all really) as other shoes, kind of like really tiny skis or planks on my feet. Does this go away as they are broken in? I'm assuming this changes along with the "slipperiness" of a smooth leather sole?

Comment

@Steve, could you show some pics of the Malvern? I'm thinking of ordering the same!

Comment

Here's the Malverns 2nds

Players 2nds

Comment

You guys done good! So proud of all of you! *tear

Comment

BrownCow, yes, they'll begin to flex as the cork footbed conforms to your foot, and the uppers are worn in.

Acoustic, I remember watching you go through the same process. So proud of you. *tear*

Comment

Wow, the Malvern look pretty good in real life. And I'm surprised I don't like the snuff suede color as much. Thanks for posting! I asked edward for an updated inventory this afternoon and 2 more Malvern showed up that were not showing before, so I believe that more shoes are being added to the list even as some are being taken off. This means some of you who didn't find what you liked should try asking again!

I'm trying to fill holes in my shoe collection and brown suede chukkas + walnut wingtips means all I have left are tan/grey oxfords (and I'm looking at the Florsheim No String Wings for that). Hoping that shoes in my sizes are still available.

Comment

Oh silly LosRockets... like every hole in ones shoe wardrobe can ever be filled...

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Well, got my two pairs in (Player's Shoe in both Walnut and Snuff Suede). Both were in pretty great condition - just some loose stitching and a scuff here or there.

Unfortunately, the size was as a feared - the 10.5D is just a tad narrow for me. Feels great on the left foot, crushes the pinky toe on my right foot. I'm hoping there are some 10.5E's left out there (e-mailed about it tonight). Frustrating... anyone have any sound advice?

Comment

@aglass - funny, my left shoe was fine also, while my right pinky was crushed. I think it's fairly common to have your dominant-side foot be slightly larger, though.

Comment

It's funny zerostyle, I went to my AE store to talk with one of the reps there... He told me I could size up to 11D or 10.5E (tried to 11D on - good fit width wise, but my heel slid) - however, he also said that the leather (esp. for the soft suede) would conform naturally to my foot over time.

Low and behold, after wearing both pairs around a bit in my apartment last night, they already fit much better this morning. Still a bit tight, but much more wearable now and I think it will only improve over time. Unless the Shoebank has 10.5E's available, I'll probably hold on to these.

So for you guys who are fretting over the Player's Shoe (or any on that Executive 2 last), maybe give it some time, wear it around for a bit.

Comment

@aglass: I actually have a brand new pair of McAllisters here (last 5) and brand new pair of Player's shoes (last 2). The player's are definitely more snug, so it's not just a wear-them-in type thing. (My strands did get more comfortable over time of course, but they weren't as bad to start)

Comment

Well my Player's fit about a half size too large, at least in length. They have a smaller size in stock so I'm wondering if I should pay for return shipping to exchange, or buy the smaller size and an additional pair for another $200 and return the pair I have now to a local AE store. I'm a bit worried that the smaller size might be too narrow. Great looking shoes though.

Comment

My Strawfuts and Lombards just delivered to our company mail room. Can't wait to check them out tonight. It like a Wingtip Christmas. Will post pictures later.

Comment

My players are a half size too large too. No 11.5Ds in stock either and the AE store that sold them too me isn't returning emails. So it sounds like my options are 1) wear thicker socks and enjoy 2) sell them or 3) finally get in touch with AE, pay for return shipping and pay retail prices for the Hale's that I also got (and love).

Comment

Working...
                                X