Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suits in a carry-on: what's your solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fly once a month and do the inside out, fold once method for my suit coat in a carryon. Works fine

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
      The last thing you want to do is take an appliance with you when you travel - so forget the steamer. If your suits are quality wool, packing wrinkles will drop out overnight without steam. Any that are left will drop out as you wear your clothes.

Relax, and so will your clothes...
      The hand-held steamers these days are not very big and made specifically for traveling, but of course, it's best to avoid packing even small things to save space. I don't agree that "quality wool ... will drop out overnight without steam." That just isn't true. Some of the highest quality wool wrinkles more easily than poor quality wool. I have a super 130 Loro Piana wool jacket that wrinkles more than VBC super 110 wool for example. If you already own a traveler wool suit made with high twist worsted wool, then you probably don't have to worry about wrinkles. But high twist wool is not an indication of quality by itself. In fact, oftentimes high twist wool will not last as long.

Comment

Originally posted by Sose View Post
        How do you fold a jacket into one of these garment folders?
        There area number of methods online. I use a pretty simple one. Grasp the top of the back, pull the shoulders back and pin them together. This first step puts a vertical crease down the back. Next, lay flat and fold top to bottom. The second step puts a horizontal crease across the middle of the chest. This does require a large Pack It. Mine barely fits my rolling carry on.

I have a couple of very nice suits -- Burberry London made by Belvest and Hickey Freeman. I also have a Hickey Freeman Navy blazer in hopsack wool, and several J Crew sport coats in various wool blends. I also have a cheap Banana Republic suit in a light grey basket weave wool. All do just fine if I unpack and hang them the night before I wear them. They aren't "traveler" clothes per se, but they're not super delicate smooth worsted items, either.

Linen, ... well, everything has limits.
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
          I don't agree that "quality wool ... will drop out overnight without steam." That just isn't true. Some of the highest quality wool wrinkles more easily than poor quality wool.
          First, it is true for my clothing. See my other post for a list of tailored clothing brands I regularly take on the road. Your mileage may vary.

Also, high quality has a "fit for purpose" aspect to it. Smooth Super 130s from Loro Piana is nice, but, as you point out, kinda delicate...
          Mark

Comment

Chiming back in to report the Eagle Creek garment folders were a resounding success. Thanks, gents.

Comment

If i have to go straight to work when i land, then i just wear the suit. If i am going to my hotel first, then I roll the suit up, rather than fold it, and when i get to my hotel I hang it from the shower rod and turn the water on as hot as it will go for 30 minutes or so and steam the wrinkles out.

Comment

Originally posted by iviustang50h View Post
                I use the folding method described in this video; works great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_dwqicn5No
                Thanks for the tip. I like my garment bag but it's not a wheelie so I'm always looking for other options. Got a quick junket up to Boston. Gonna test drive this today!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbumman View Post
                  Thanks for the tip. I like my garment bag but it's not a wheelie so I'm always looking for other options. Got a quick junket up to Boston. Gonna test drive this today!
                  Cool - hope it works out for you. Do let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by iviustang50h View Post
                    Cool - hope it works out for you. Do let us know how it goes.
                    Went perfectly, had to do a quick steam to get some wrinkles out, but nothing more than I would with the garment bag.

Comment

I've used a simple garment bag that comes with the suit and hung it from the handle of my regular carry-on (along with a backpack, so I had 3 items) as I wheeled it through the terminal. When I've boarded, I've simply asked a flight attendant to hang it from the closet. I've only once been rejected, and that was on a very small, full CRJ that made everyone gate check anything that was not a personal item. This might be less effective in the colder months as that closet is generally more full of first class passengers' and flight attendants heavy coats. Luckily for me, my size 34 coats can also fit in a regular 21" tall carry on with a single fold, so when it's packed up in the overhead compartment, it's lying flat. If I don't overpack, they don't get creased. I wanna check out those packing cubes though as I've been considering betting a proper garment back, but that represents a much cheaper possible option.

Comment

Working...
                      X