Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suits in a carry-on: what's your solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suits in a carry-on: what's your solution?

I just changed jobs, and the new gig will require frequent, but brief, trips for meetings and conferences. The office is business casual, but these trips will all be strictly business dress. I used to have an old wheeled garment bag (of the fold-in-half variety), but it was pretty bulky. Do y'all pack suits in a regular carry-on? Anyone tried those roll-up garment bags? Do those two-fold garment bags leave everything hopelessly wrinkled? Any and all input is welcome, especially if there are particular models you can recommend. Thanks fellas.

I use the bags that I got for free when I bought through SuitSupply. Haven't had any issues with creasing at all and if I did, a quick steam should work as a quick fix

Comment

I travel 50,000 to 100,000 miles per year and usually wear at least sport coats and often suits at my destinations. I use a rolling carry-on and fold my shirts, trousers, and coats in Eagle Creek Pack It garment folders. This works great with wool and wool-linen suits and sport coats. When I get to the hotel, I just hang them and any wrinkles drop out over night.

Works great.
      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
        I travel 50,000 to 100,000 miles per year and usually wear at least sport coats and often suits at my destinations. I use a rolling carry-on and fold my shirts, trousers, and coats in Eagle Creek Pack It garment folders. This works great with wool and wool-linen suits and sport coats. When I get to the hotel, I just hang them and any wrinkles drop out over night.

Works great.
        I don't travel that much anymore but I did travel weekly and highly recommend the eagle creek packing system. I also would wear the sport coat or jacket on the plane. If I could I would lay it a top of the overhead. If not there are a few youtube videos for proper folding of a jacket for travel. You can also buy a portable steamer but I bet that would take too much room.

On another travel note, the best travel purchases I made:
        - Bose headphones. Great for drowning out excess noise while on the plane.
        - I made a charger only little eagle creek packing cube. It was protected and in it I had every type of phone and device charger, a multi-plug outlet for the hotel room, and a long like 20 ft phone charging cord. This way when i traveled I always had my adaptors and cables in one place. I'd only take it for traveling. It was always ready to go. The long cable is great for hotel rooms because they never seemed to have an outlet by the bed.

Comment

I just but a new suit whenever I land.

/s

Comment

[MENTION=16314]motosacto[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13934]hockeysc23[/MENTION], I'm definitely going to try those garment folders. Would love a solution that can be used with any size bag for any length trip.

[MENTION=14616]CJMichaelRay[/MENTION], I'm hoping to avoid a no-wheels solution, but good to know that kind of bag works well.

[MENTION=4677]Shade[/MENTION], I assume you buy them only when Eva Green hasn't arranged for a tailored jacket to be delivered to your destination.

Comment

Depends on how long you're traveling for but I find I can get away with a tri-fold carry on. Wrinkles release overnight or you can poor-man steam them away with the hotel Iron.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                I just but a new suit whenever I land.

/s
                Ric Flair style, nice!

Comment

Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
                  Ric Flair style, nice!

lmao

Comment

I've done a few trips this year and found that folding the jacket into itself (tri-fold as per Bobbumman) works well. This has worked well with my Spier & Mackay and Suit Supply (Blue Line) suits. The wrinkles have fallen out over night. If you want to lessen the chance of wrinkles, you could put your other clothes into the folds so that the fold is lessened.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post

lmao
                      "My shoes cost more than your house!"

Comment

I use the folding method described in this video; works great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_dwqicn5No

Comment

Back when I was traveling and wearing suits, I tried a number of approaches. I tried wearing the suit, but the back would get wrinkled unless I took the jacket off and set it in my lap during the flight. No matter how carefully I packed, I would always have some wrinkles. I used steam from the shower with some success. I tried using a hotel iron once, but that was a disaster. I used hotel dry cleaning services a number of times. That was not cheap, but my company reimbursed me. Unfortunately, one hotel lost my sport coat one time. Dry cleaning a suit too many times can shorten its life, and it's hard to find a good dry cleaner. Ideally, the hotel can press your suit, but that's not a service available at most of the hotels where I stayed.

If was traveling today, I would use a garment bag for my suit and ask a flight attendant if he or she could hang it up during the flight. I saw a colleague do this when I was traveling once; so, I know it works even if you aren't flying first class. I would also pack my hand held steamer. I'd probably invest in a better steamer than the one I have though.

Comment

The last thing you want to do is take an appliance with you when you travel - so forget the steamer. If your suits are quality wool, packing wrinkles will drop out overnight without steam. Any that are left will drop out as you wear your clothes.

Relax, and so will your clothes...
                            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post

Works great.
                              How do you fold a jacket into one of these garment folders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X