Style Forum - Holy Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Style Forum - Holy Crap

In search of an answer to a basic dress question I stumble over to the Style Forum for the first time.

Jesus. Kite Surfing. Christ.

Don't think I've ever seen so many displays of arrogance, contempt, condescencion, self-importance, snobbery or attitude in one place. It's like a virtual Hamptons.

You'd think a "gentleman" who embraced the concept of style etiquette could muster some fundamental sense of decency in how they conduct themselves, even online.

Not painting everyone over there with a convenient brush, but I was shocked. Hope this community never attracts the kind of Philistine who sneers at someone who dares to entertain buying suit seperates or a tie at Marshall's.

There are definitely two totally seperate mind-sets between here and there. I go there to find real-world pictures of products and stuff but I wouldn't dare post there and interfact with those folks.

Comment

Ya i totally agree with Jordan. People here try to be helpful and work with each other. Over there it seems like most of the posters think they are fashion mogul bespoke tailors who are offended you would waste their time with your ignorance. To be fair though, I have talked to and purchased from some really awesome people there also. I find most of the sellers are very reasonable and willing to work with you, so I highly recommend the site for shopping.

Comment

Ha, every time I read a SF thread, I feel like all the members act like they are Harvard graduates that have never worn less than a bespoke 3 piece suit in their lives. I remember reading a thread on wearing shorts, and several members stated that they wouldn't be caught dead in shorts, and how the rest of us had to realize that they grew up in a household where they wore a dinner jacket to dinner every night. What a bunch of jerks.

Comment

Eh, I don't think they're that bad, it's just that SF represents an extreme of the menswear enthusiasm spectrum. If you posted a message on a hardcore gamers' message board asking how to beat a level in Angry Birds you probably would get some of the same sarcasm. If you want to take it even farther, check out the StyleZeitgeist forums, some wacky stuff there.

Comment

Typical response from a member of the lower classes. Why, I bet you don't even have a man to polish your sapphire-domed monocle. My, how droll.

Comment

@Thekillabeejc, I recall a similar thread happened here. Just replace "shorts" with "flip-flops".

Comment

I like SF and it's my main source of fashion information. Yes, there's a bit of snobbery on there, but show me an online forum which doesn't. Not to mention, I like that they have threads dedicated to specific brands so that I can keep up to date on new releases and sales. (I'm a big Brooks Brothers fan)

Comment

I'm inclined to agree, but I think the site itself has its uses. I've gotten a lot of good information there, just perusing old threads containing questions other people asked that I'd wondered about as well. Also, they seem to be obsessively concerned with quality and fit, which means that their opinions of clothing tend to be fairly discerning. I also think it's pretty easy to find some really nice stuff on their classified forum for much, much less than it retails for. Which is good, because it's usually the difference between splurging and never even considering the purchase. I play guitar, and in the guitar community, there are sites devoted to more affordable gear, and sites like TGP that cater to the higher end stuff (e.g. $5k Les Pauls, 8k amps). You do get some cork-sniffing and snobbiness, but it's worth it for the information and deals there, too, especially on those occasions when you're ready to plop down the cash for something properly nice and want to research your investment.

I agree about the irate responses, though. Lot of swearing (not that I care), lots of sarcasm, and a general vibe of hostility towards anyone who asks what's deemed as an inappropriate question. I know first-hand how annoying it can be to have a bunch of new posters ask the same question five times a day in new threads on a busy forum, but yelling "ahjrhejr use the FUCKING search feature" isn't really going to help. The irony is that when you picture angry Internet people, you usually imagine them as greasy nerds, not sultry male fashionistas.

Comment

Reminds me of the attitude I get going in to the upper end stores at the mall here. We have a "rich" mall (Neiman Marcus/Thomas Pink/Cartier/etc) and a "poor" mall (Macy's/Old Navy/GAP/etc) down the street from each other. I don't even get acknowledged walking in the stores or asked for assistance because I don't dress to the nines to go shopping.

Truth be told I only head in the stores to get ideas of what new style trends are, as well as shirt/tie/suit combos, BUT!, I should still be asked =D

Comment

Ragu sounds like you're talking about Tysons!

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

You got it! Good ole Northern Virginia

Comment

Go Dappered!

That's all I have to say...

This really is quite a site... You don't see culture like this many places else.

Comment

I've been on Style Forum for a long time. There are some jerks on there but there some really knowledgable guys too. When I first started on there I got crucified for some of the things I posted. That was really in my earlier days of not knowing much about men's fashion, but I've learned a lot from the website too. The guys on this site and Ask Andy About Clothes are as a whole more respectful to others who ask questions.

Comment

You guys have probably seen this, but since there is styleforum mocking going on:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...styleforum.net

Comment

Working...
                              X