Is the Canadian Tux ever acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryn View Post
    I think it is worse to wear it ironically. In my mind it really should be limited to people who are really blue color people and aren't trying to make a fashion statement.
    I don't know. You guys are making fairly broad generalizations about those who like the workwear aesthetic. It's a lifestyle and it's about identity and provenance. Even though the raw denim/work boot look is pretty common, i find it no different than those who choose to wear Bonobos, khaki pants and Allen Edmonds. The world would be pretty damned boring if we all dressed the same or tried to measure ourselves by another's standards

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
      either way all of us are winners.
      Preach it.
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
        I don't know. You guys are making fairly broad generalizations about those who like the workwear aesthetic. It's a lifestyle and it's about identity and provenance. Even though the raw denim/work boot look is pretty common, i find it no different than those who choose to wear Bonobos, khaki pants and Allen Edmonds. The world would be pretty damned boring if we all dressed the same or tried to measure ourselves by another's standards

I think you misunderstood me.

I think even thinking about Provence is taking denim too serious.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
          I think you misunderstood me.

I think even thinking about Provence is taking denim too serious.
          I understood you perfectly. You made a snide comment about who should wear what based on their social standing in life, ie. Blue collar workers should only wear denim, otherwise you're just a hipster wannabe.

Provenance is important to many, even with regard to denim. Raw denim enthusiasts like transparency when it comes to who they spend their money with. Everything from the type of cotton and dye to threading, hardware and weave matters.

Comment

I just came here to share the origina of the name "canadia Tuxedo" because I find it humorous.

Today it refers to any outfit consisting of a denim jacket, with denim jeans. Originating in the 1950s, crooner Bing Crosby was nearly rejected from an upscale hotel in Vancouver, BC (Canada) because he had been wearing an all-denim outfit. Levis heard of this and sent him a special-made all denim tuxedo.
            a little more detail here...

http://boingboing.net/2015/10/27/sur...of-the-ca.html

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
              I understood you perfectly. You made a snide comment about who should wear what based on their social standing in life, ie. Blue collar workers should only wear denim, otherwise you're just a hipster wannabe.

Provenance is important to many, even with regard to denim. Raw denim enthusiasts like transparency when it comes to who they spend their money with. Everything from the type of cotton and dye to threading, hardware and weave matters.

Yup. Raw enthusiasts probably care more about those details than the average poster here. Not that that's a negative, but building a nice denim wardrobe is similar to building one of modern business casual. A few high quality pieces that are greatly researched and often accompanied by high quality leather footwear and accessories.

Comment

Working...
              X