Is the Canadian Tux ever acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Canadian Tux ever acceptable?

On the bus coming in to work this morning a fellow walked on wearing the Canadian Tuxedo. Granted we are in Canada, but still. All I could think of is "man, that looks bad". But then again that is just my opinion and I'm just one man/person. So I thought I'd ask here.

What is the general thinking on the Canadian Tux? Should it ever be worn as as serious (ie, non joking) style? Would any of you wear it? Or am I over reacting on a Monday morning?

For reference, for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about.

Definition: the Canadian Tuxedo is denim jeans and a denim jacket in the same color and the same/nearly the same shade.

I would never wear it, and I can't think of any time I've ever seen it that it didn't look Actively Wrong. I grew up in southern Ohio and saw it some, especially south of the border with Kentucky. I guess maybe if you're posing for the cover of a good ol' boy country album? (But I wouldn't do that either.)

You can absolutely pull off variations -- e.g. "one very dark wash piece, one lighter wash/grey piece," "a chambray suit" -- but mostly denim all over looks too matchy-matchy or too jump suit-ey.

Comment

distinctly different denims/washes/colors you can make it happen.

Comment

All the same shade/wash? I'd wear it as a costume and nothing else.

Noticeably different shades/washes? Yeah sure.

Comment

This brave Welshman wore it, so we wouldn't have to.

https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
            distinctly different denims/washes/colors you can make it happen.
            This pretty much does it. I still haven't reached the point where I personally want to wear a jean jacket (I still call it that vs. 'denim jacket', especially if it's the medium wash color like Kanye's above, but also stems from my aversion).

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
            This brave Welshman wore it, so we wouldn't have to.

The trifecta!

Comment

Sure, you see it at r/Rawdenim fairly often.

Different shades of denim make it work. Even if the shades are similar, darker will work best. I've seen triple denim pulled of well too.

Comment

I'd never wear it. Ever.

Comment

I wouldn't. I'm even pretty careful with my chambray shirts to make sure that they aren't the same shade of blue as my jeans.

Comment

Only at these events.

Comment

I think it is worse to wear it ironically. In my mind it really should be limited to people who are really blue color people and aren't trying to make a fashion statement.

Comment

Ironically, I was reading an article on AOS and came across this.

https://shop.articlesofstyle.com/pro...raw-denim-suit

Presented without comment.

Actually I take that back. I will offer one comment: "Hipster business formal".

Don't forget to cuff the pants above the ankles and wear red wings.
                        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by mooseontheloose View Post
                          Sure, you see it at r/Rawdenim fairly often.

Different shades of denim make it work. Even if the shades are similar, darker will work best. I've seen triple denim pulled of well too.
                          Yep, different shades work. Same shade looks horrible

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                            Ironically, I was reading an article on AOS and came across this.

https://shop.articlesofstyle.com/pro...raw-denim-suit

Presented without comment.

Actually I take that back. I will offer one comment: "Hipster business formal".

Don't forget to cuff the pants above the ankles and wear red wings.
                            REAL bummed that there isn't a model pic there. It'd look terrible or incredible with zero middle ground and either way all of us are winners.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                              I'd never wear it. Ever.
                              ^ This.

Comment

Working...
                              X