Bowtie, thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowtie, thoughts?

What are your thoughts on bowties, esp. what works and what doesn't and how to wear one with out looking like a clown.

Self-tied and of a color/pattern you would willingly wear in a long tie and works with the rest of the outfit. You can get away with a little more boldness due to the reduced size but crass is crass at any size.
    None of that wood or feathers crap.
    No super jumbo sized unless your head is super jumbo sized.
    No teeny tiny unless your head is teeny tiny.
    OWN THAT SHIT, if you're self-conscious about it, it won't work, just like dressing nice at all in today's society.
    Buy a cheap one to practice tying but wear nice ones for real. Quality bows cost less than long ties from the same makers generally.
    Don't be a complete cliche', you're not Bill Nye, don't try to look like Bill Nye
    Don't do it all the time or you will become "that bow-tie guy"

Comment

Bowtie, thoughts?

I went a 6 month stretch of wearing bowties as my tie of choice. Now it's about once a week. I would echo what Winghus said. Own it! Be ready for compliments and people asking about how you learned to tie them. But don't worry about being "that bowtie guy," it's never that serious.

Sometimes your appearance along with wearing a bowtie may raise some odd questions. We did a no-shave November and I kept my beard for a few months longer. Along with being a black guy someone at work looked at me confused because I was eating pork ribs with my bowtie on. They thought I was a member of the Nation of Islam! I don't think you'll have that problem though.
      Last edited by udub86; May 14, 2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I'm a serial bow tie wearer myself, and it's a pet peeve of mine to see someone wear a pre-tied bow tie. Pre-tied bow ties look too perfect and almost unnatural. If you're going to rock the bow tie wear a self-tied one. People will be even more impressed to learn that you can tie a bow tie. Fabric is also important too: I like to wear all silk ties in the fall/winter and silk/linen blends or 100% linen in the spring/summer.

Comment

Only wear one if you need to wear a tux. Burn the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
            Seconded
            Best,
            Paul

Comment

I wear em on occasion. Just a bit of fun, especially with a summer suit. But I also wear them in the winter in wool or other heavier knits. I probably average 1-2 times per month. As has been said, own it and it'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                is it permissible to wear a dark navy or black bowtie with a matching business suit to substitute for black tie formal? or do only actual tuxedos pass muster?

Comment

Originally posted by flatbear View Post
                  is it permissible to wear a dark navy or black bowtie with a matching business suit to substitute for black tie formal? or do only actual tuxedos pass muster?
                  Oh, you can wear them with whatever you'd like, I just wouldnt. I only wear them with a tuxedo, I dont prefer the look. I think a tie looks much better with any suit. Just my opinion.

Comment

I have to say that the wear-ability of a bowtie IMO is very dependent on your location/environment. When I lived in the south, I would wear one every once in a while, but it was relatively common, and I got compliments. Now that I live in NY, if I wore a bowtie, I would stick out in a very uncomfortable manner, since you see a bowtie once every six months.

In a black tie setting, it's a different game, to the point where the only appropriate neck-wear is a hand-tied bow-tie IMO.

Comment

I have a friend getting his commission in the USCG next week (it's kind of like the military, but not really ) and have a linen suit i'll be wearing. perusing the tie bar now for something appropriately spring-like in nature to pair with a denim shirt from S&M. suit is the Milano fit brown linen from BB:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Milano...entpos=2&cgid=

if anyone has any suggestions off the top of their head, I'm certainly open.

Side note: always work with an SA if it's something you've never worn/tried on before. This was my first Milano fit suit and I'm a 38R in S&M slim/contemporary fits (the latter does get a bit of alteration to the sides), JC Ludlow and Crosby (both actually work on my frame which is weird), and SuSu Havana and Lazio. I'm a 40R in Milano fit.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled less-caffeinated-ferret discussion.
                      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Be aware that being a bowtie guy gives off a certain vibe or aesthetic. Some TV and movie characters that come to mind are Cooper from Mad Men and Lucius Fox from the Dark Knight trilogy. They can be described as smart, quirky, witty, and funny, but not quite macho leading men material. If you're fine with that then go right ahead. For me the only time a bowtie looks dapper and masculine is when it's worn with a tux.

Comment

My personal thought is that they make you look like a clown.

Comment

Working...
                          X