No announcement yet.

New Dress Shoe Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not suggest paying full price for those Carlyles, or for any pair of AE shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
      I would not suggest paying full price for those Carlyles, or for any pair of AE shoes.
      This is what AE has done to themselves by prostituting themselves with their online shoe bank and their never ending sales.

Most of my AE shoes where bought full price at the store. Some on sale. Zero from the shoe bank , because I am quirky and would not be able to live with a stitch out of place, an extra hole punched, or muddled colors. These days I am really into English shoes, but have by no means discarded AE. As a matter of fact I think that AE's are well worth their full price any day. Specially Independence Collection shoes. Those are on par or maybe superior than Alden and , IMO, better than some Carmina I have.

Problem is, like [MENTION=13026]Evenflow[/MENTION], now every time I look online or walk into the store, I feel like I HAVE to go to the Sale table... and I am not usually a "deal hunter", I get something if I want it enough; but time and time again I got tired of buying AE at full price only to see the same model on sale three weeks later.

This business model, sooner or later, is going to bite them in the a$$. No other respectable shoe brand does this. It's more of a special event when sales go on, not the norm
      You can never have enough shoes

Comment

It's the QC issues, primarily, and also having the customers basically be quality control inspectors, that guarantee I will never pay more than 250 for a pair of AE shoes.

I ordered a pair of Strands last year, from a third party vendor, and they sent me some that appeared to be pretty old (but never worn) stock. I complained because they were old, got the store to deduct even more $ from the original price, and just kept them.

After wearing them some and comparing them to my more recently produced Strands, there is a palpable difference in quality, wear, comfort and fit between the
        older stock and my newer ones.
        Last edited by bjmcgeever; May 15, 2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

After wearing them some and comparing them to my more recently produced Strands, there is a palpable difference in quality, wear, comfort and fit between the older stock and my newer ones.
          I'll presume you mean one set is significantly better in those areas than the other, but which one is better?

Comment

Older ones. I have a pair of older PA's and they're great as well.

Comment

Older ones. I have a pair of older PA's and they're great as well.
              My older PAs feel better made than my recent McAllisters. My really old CXL Waylands feel like twice the shoe recent models are.

Comment

I think will venture out of JM into more know shoe manufacturers. AE is always the safest bet specially when found on sale . I ventured into other shoe brands that are were mentioned here

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
                  Interestingly PTO just wrote an article about how a walnut or tan shoe is one of the last shoes you should own, as it's not very versatile. I tend to agree.

Personally I'd go for a carmina austerity brogue. Beautiful and professional. Meermin (sister company), J Fitzpatrick, and others have similar options depending on your price point.

I do not like allen edmonds. They're good shoes, don't get me wrong, but I think they're totally overvalued and I don't find their lasts very attractive.
                  I'm not a fan of AE either. I like Alden, Carmina, Enzo Bonafe, Vass and a few other English and Euro makers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X