New Dress Shoe Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Dress Shoe Suggestions

Hi all. Longtime lurker here. I wanted to reach out and ask for advice on a new pair of dress shoes.

A little background: I work in a pretty conservative environment and wear a suit everyday. I currently own a pair of Johnston & Murphy cap toe oxfords in dark brown, similar to these: http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/nolen-...sz=33&start=18. Unfortunately, they have long outlived their life so I will need to get a new pair. I try and take pretty good care of my shoes (e.g. conditioning, shining, using shoe trees, etc.).

I have done a bit of reading here and wanted to ask some advice on my next pair of shoes:

1) AE Carlyle (Dark Chili): These are really striking and comfortable. I definitely think it would be worth it in the long run to spend the money and really get a pair of shoes that will last, and AE seems to the the brand of choice for many members here.

2) J&M Melton Cap Toe (Brown Calfskin): I have seen these offered as an affordable AE 5th Ave on several sites. However, I have not seen any favorable reviews here (and my own experience with J&M has been less than satisfactory in terms of longevity/durability of the shoe).

Are their any others I am missing? Cole Haan has just so many options, its hard to narrow those down.

Sorry if this post is to vague. I can clarify any questions if need be.

Thanks in advance!

I think that AE shoes will outlive any from Cole Haan. I like the choice of color you've picked (chili). If the Carlyle fits comfortably, go for it.
    Obviously there are several other AE styles that would work as well.

Comment

I feel obligated since this is Dappered that the shoe you want is the Walnut Strand lol

Comment

If you can figure out sizing Carmina Adelaide are awesome and a good deal IMHO. Otherwise, I would wait for the shoebank to have a sale and get a pair of black Park Ave's and then something like Dark Chili Carlyle or McAllister.

Comment

Since you work in a conservative environment and wear a suit everyday, I'd suggest a brown captoe oxford. AE, Meermin, Cobbler Union, J Fitzpatrick, Carmina, and many more all have great options. Walnut is a nice color but it's a bit flashy and isn't as versatile.
          Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Interestingly PTO just wrote an article about how a walnut or tan shoe is one of the last shoes you should own, as it's not very versatile. I tend to agree.

Personally I'd go for a carmina austerity brogue. Beautiful and professional. Meermin (sister company), J Fitzpatrick, and others have similar options depending on your price point.

I do not like allen edmonds. They're good shoes, don't get me wrong, but I think they're totally overvalued and I don't find their lasts very attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
              Interestingly PTO just wrote an article about how a walnut or tan shoe is one of the last shoes you should own, as it's not very versatile. I tend to agree.

Personally I'd go for a carmina austerity brogue. Beautiful and professional. Meermin (sister company), J Fitzpatrick, and others have similar options depending on your price point.

I do not like allen edmonds. They're good shoes, don't get me wrong, but I think they're totally overvalued and I don't find their lasts very attractive.
              Wow, had not seen Meermin yet. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Comment

I also searched Loake's site and found several styles I like. However, I have heard concerns over sizing issues because they are European.

Thoughts are welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by DC1873 View Post
                  I also searched Loake's site and found several styles I like. However, I have heard concerns over sizing issues because they are European.

Thoughts are welcome!
                  In general, UK size = US size - 1. So if you're a size 10US then a 9UK would be a good starting point. For any European makers, try to buy them from US retailers that have good return policies. For ex. East Dane sells Loake.
                  Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I will comment on the J&M Melton from the OP. From what I have seen of the Melton's in person, the letter leaves something to be desired. The black looked plastic-y while the brown did not look much better.

You should be able to find a pair of Allen Edmonds for Under $200. Just remember, giving your shoes a breather of at least 1 day in between wears will help the longevity. I've had some non-goodyear welted shoes last quite a while with shoe trees and rest in between wears.

Comment

Originally posted by DC1873 View Post
                      Wow, had not seen Meermin yet. Thanks for the suggestion!!
                      Great suggestion, but nailing down the proper sizing may prove to be difficult and could result in a return or two. Check out the Meermin thread at Style Forum and search other's experiences here at Dappered to see what I mean.
                      https://www.styleforum.net/threads/m...-shoes.277707/

I second Token's advice and highly recommend a Cap-Toe Oxford. My brand of choice is Allen Edmonds, as they are a proven and reputable company that offers a high quality product. My recommendation would be the Fifth Avenue in Brown or the Strand in Brown (black if your suits are mostly charcoals and grays).

Comment

Originally posted by mtsingh View Post
                        I feel obligated since this is Dappered that the shoe you want is the Walnut Strand lol
                        I guess you haven't been reading Dappered since 2013. There's been a huge backlash against AE in general, the Strand in particular, and walnut the most. I think the backlash is not warranted on any of those accounts, least of all walnut.

Comment

[MENTION=15989]DC1873[/MENTION]:

I just picked up a pair of bourbon Carlyle last week. If you can find one in your size, they are on clearance and so an excellent price. Otherwise, the chili is a good option, too, as would be oxblood. I think walnut is the most beautiful but perhaps you should get a more conservative color first, depending on your place of work and lifestyle. Dark brown is great, but I wouldn't get it on the Carlyle, because AE sometimes burnishes the toe of brown shoes a bit too heavily. I think that they have less chance to do that on shoes with brogue detail on the toe, so I think you'd be better off getting a brown Cornwallis or something like that. On the Carlyle, there's a good chance that the toe will end up being far darker than the rest of the shoe. It can still look nice, of course, but I at least think the burnishing is excessive. I have a dark brown Kenilworth, which is a plain-toe blucher (the Carlyle is a plain-toe balmoral), and while I like the Kenilworth a lot, I do wish the toe were the same color as the rest of the shoe.

Comment

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdro...-brogue-oxford

The Massdrop deal on Carminas would be a great second shoe IMO but I agree with plain brown cap-toe as the first. If you go with a Euro brand, absolutely get measured in a Brannock by a competent salesman, then go to an Allen Edmonds outlet and find out your exact sizing in a 65 lasted shoe, preferably a cap-toe oxford to keep variables low. Then read specific brand threads at Styleforum and ask sizing questions. You need to know if your foot has a low or high instep and if your arch length is different than your total foot length. If one foot is bigger, you need to size based on that one and even knowing all this you could be totally wrong on your sizing without trying it on first. If like me a 65 last isn't ideal, you have to find some other common ground with which to base your trial. If you live near any place that sells Alden, Carmina, Crocket & Jones, or other well-made high-end shoe, finding your5 size in one of their lasts will give you a base for judging a brand you can't try first like Meermin. I have 2 pair of Meermins, they are equally well made with slightly lower quality leather than AEs. I find their styling more to my taste with a few exceptions than AE but I own 8 pairs of AEs so I must like them, lol.

I'm also one of the people that thinks burgundy/merlot is better with grey and navy pants than dark brown and if I had suits that were in those shades I would make my first pair a merlot. But, that's just my opinion, I also would never wear walnut Strands with a navy suit, even the newer slightly darker walnut AE sells now. I would wear the shit out of oxblood with navy though and to some that color is too light for navy as well.

I've had great luck with AE seconds, 5 of mine are seconds, 3 are firsts. This probably because an outlet is nearby and I get to see them in person and can reject anything with obvious flaws. 3 of the seconds I own, I can't figure out why they are seconds and one of the others, the flaw is on the sole where I give not one crap.
                            Last edited by winghus; May 12, 2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                              I will comment on the J&M Melton from the OP. From what I have seen of the Melton's in person, the letter leaves something to be desired. The black looked plastic-y while the brown did not look much better.

You should be able to find a pair of Allen Edmonds for Under $200. Just remember, giving your shoes a breather of at least 1 day in between wears will help the longevity. I've had some non-goodyear welted shoes last quite a while with shoe trees and rest in between wears.
                              I own a pair of brown Meltons. They aren't at all plasticky. Depending on the budget, they're an option. If you can afford AE, then go for it. Jack erwin is also a good option imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X