Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How frequently can you wear a blazer?

Hi:

So, there was a post in March that talked about using a blazer twice during a work trip - and the response said with different shirts, that would be fine.

My question goes past a work trip. I am interested in buying a good navy Ludlow blazer and up my work style slowly. I was thinking that I could wear it about a couple of days/week. My wife disagreed. I wanted to get the Dappered gentlemen's opinions.

Thanks in advance.

now that I work at home...maybe once every 3 months. before I would wear one daily int he cooler months. I always take them off int he office because I run hotter than most people so I do not see the point of wearing one in the warm months to take it off as soon as I walk in. It is probably 2 notches above my office dress code int he first place. I am not going to force it. I basically treat them like other outer wear unless I am going on a date night with the wifey or some other social event requiring a jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
      now that I work at home...maybe once every 3 months. before I would wear one daily int he cooler months. I always take them off int he office because I run hotter than most people so I do not see the point of wearing one in the warm months to take it off as soon as I walk in. It is probably 2 notches above my office dress code int he first place. I am not going to force it. I basically treat them like other outer wear unless I am going on a date night with the wifey or some other social event requiring a jacket.
      think you misunderstood his question...i believe he's talking about frequency of wearing any individual blazer

i just wouldn't wear it 2 days in a row (unless it's a work trip). but I have enough blazers i never repeat one in the same week.

pattern also matters. bold plaid, you may want to skimp back, classic navy no one would notice.

Comment

Oh, I totally did. And now for an actually relevant answer...

Depends on the blazer and the rest of your wardrobe. I have a basic navy blazer that I wore twice a week. But I would do very different pants and alternate solid or patterned shirts of different colors. Basically make sure the only similar thing was the jacket.

For example Monday with grey pants and solid white shirt, burgundy wingtip boots. Thursday with tan pants and a gingham shirt, medium brown Oxfords.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you both.

Additional context. I work in a business casual environment - but mostly casual. I currently do dark jeans 2-3 days/week and khakis/chinos the rest of the time. I will keep that in mind as I work on picking up a blazer.

What colors would you generally recommend in addition to a blue? I realize this question is straying from the original discussion.

Comment

I am similar to [MENTION=10540]Scofield[/MENTION] in that I only wear a sport coat multiple days in a row if on a work trip. It just gives the jacket time to breathe in between. I would be hard pressed to find someone who would notice even a plaid sport coat worn multiple days in a row unless it was a bold pattern or the person were into fashion or #menswear.

Also depending on the sport coat you are looking at, it may be worth checking out SuitSupply or Spier and Mackay. The proportions are better from those two companies and are similar in price to both full-priced or even discounted J. Crew prices (S&M being this price range).

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
              Thank you both.

Additional context. I work in a business casual environment - but mostly casual. I currently do dark jeans 2-3 days/week and khakis/chinos the rest of the time. I will keep that in mind as I work on picking up a blazer.

What colors would you generally recommend in addition to a blue? I realize this question is straying from the original discussion.
              Brown would be very versatile with jeans and any tailored pants. See this post from PutThisOn but you can also search for pictures of different ways to wear a brown sport coat.

http://putthison.com/post/2848865124...-casually-with

Comment

I'll second what others have said. I wouldn't wear it two days in a row and I would pay special attention to making sure the rest of your outfit isn't similar to what you wore previously.

For other colors grey can go with a lot, I'm a big fan of a green and brown in the cooler months.

Comment

I will often wear the same blazer/sportcoat twice in one week. I am pretty sure many of my coworkers only own one or maybe two jackets and wear the same one or two everyday (I know some guys that have a navy blazer hanging in their office/cube and just throw it on for big meetings or visits to an executive floor). I have 5 jackets that I rotate through and i'd say that's more than 90% of my coworkers.

Anyway, I don't see a problem with wearing the same jacket 2 or 3 times a week (besides that fact that it is common practice in most of the offices I have worked in) I think the key is to get a solid colored one that works well with the color pants you most often wear, then as you rotate shirts, shoes, pants, pocket squares/accessories throughout the week it wont look like you are wearing the same exact thing everyday. Ideally I don't like to wear the same one twice in a row simply because I like variety, but if you only own one and want to wear it often I don't see a problem with that.

If you wear dark Jeans a lot Navy might not be the best color because it will be so similar to the color of your jeans it will end up looking like you are wearing an oddly mismatched suit. I would go with either a mid blue or brown although tan, grey or olive could work well too.

Comment

When you think about light grey with dark denim - do you mean:

1. https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...ame=light-grey

2. https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...d-cotton/C4840

Comment

They say that it's best to let the jacket rest between wearings; at least leaving it to hang gets any wrinkles out. But other than that, I think you can wear it pretty much as often as you like. Get a clothes brush and brush it down frequently, to stop dirt building up and degrading the fabric. Dry clean as little as possible.

Comment

I wear navy blazers on most days. Hang it at night, brush it, and you should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
                          Thank you both.

Navy blue and that Caspian blue are great options. Then grey. Then maybe a Glen plaid. Maybe a camel hair for winter/fall.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X