Any way to salvage these pants??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way to salvage these pants??

Hey guys, I come to you in desperation as I don't know what to do anymore.

Pants that I'm talking about: driggs from j crew factory

Situation: a brown streak or stain on the front upper portion that I just can't get out.

How it happened: Yes my pants were probably pretty dirty.... (backpacking through Europe and only have the one pair of chinos and a pair of jeans).
    So the first time I tried washing them, not knowing how dirty they were, just gave them a rinse, and when wet, everything looks dark blue.... Put it out to dry, and this may have been my biggest mistake, laid it out in the sun.... Searching online, this may have "baked the color in".

From then on, I've tried washing them again, at times really scrubbing that area, have tried letting it soak in a tub of cold water and detergent, nothing seems to work.

Has anyone ever had this situation before?? The only thing else I've found is to try soaking it in white vinegar to help get the stain out. Or do you guys think I should bite the bullet and start looking for a new pair of pants?

Thanks for any help guys.

(I can try to post a pic later if that helps)

i don't mean this in an insulting way, especially since i'm far from rich atm, but they're just j crew factory pants. they run a million deals a week. just keep your eyes peeled for a deal and buy a new pair. if you were them through europe, i'm sure you got plenty of mileage from them.

Comment

Do you know what the brown stain is? Oxiclean has a chemical makeup that busts a lot of oily greasy lipid or alcohol soluble based stains pretty well. I'm actually especially skeptic of snake oil sales tatitics in products, and always thought it was a stupid one until i tried it.

The spray and wash also works on a lot of other stains, but not usually the same ones. great on ring around the collar stuff on shirts.

whatever you do just don't put them in the dryer until you've got it out. in cotton twill, that sets it FOREVER.

Comment

Mix together a solution of equal parts hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and laundry detergent. 1 Tbsp of each should be fine but add more depending on the size of the stain. Spread it on the stained area and scrub it in with a clean brush. An old tooth brush will work. Let is sit for an hour or so and then wash in the washing machine on a normal cycle with detergent. If the stain is oil based, swap out the laundry detergent for some Dawn or any other type of dish soap. Dish soap is a degreaser so it helps lift oil stains. I can't tell you how many stains I've removed with this formula. It works on almost everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
          i don't mean this in an insulting way, especially since i'm far from rich atm, but they're just j crew factory pants. they run a million deals a week. just keep your eyes peeled for a deal and buy a new pair. if you were them through europe, i'm sure you got plenty of mileage from them.
          lol, that's what my mom said too when I asked for advice on how to clean them. So, understandable.

My only problem is I'm backpacking through Europe, so going to find a deal on pants just feels like a waste of time for me. Yea they have H&M here and even C&A, but from the shops I stop to take a look at, I can't really find anything under 50. Maybe I should bite the bullet, I'm not sure how much longer wearing the same jeans everyday is going to last lol

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
            Do you know what the brown stain is?

Oxiclean has a chemical makeup that busts a lot of oily greasy lipid or alcohol soluble based stains pretty well.

whatever you do just don't put them in the dryer until you've got it out. in cotton twill, that sets it FOREVER.
            I think it is straight up dirt.... I didn't throw it in the dryer... but I left them in the sun so I'm afraid that it has already set in forever o_o

I'm actually a huge fan of oxiclean too, have a huge tub at home. But I'm not sure if they even have it here in Europe, and even if they did I might be better off just putting that to some new pants lol

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
              Mix together a solution of equal parts hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and laundry detergent. 1 Tbsp of each should be fine but add more depending on the size of the stain. Spread it on the stained area and scrub it in with a clean brush. An old tooth brush will work. Let is sit for an hour or so and then wash in the washing machine on a normal cycle with detergent. If the stain is oil based, swap out the laundry detergent for some Dawn or any other type of dish soap. Dish soap is a degreaser so it helps lift oil stains. I can't tell you how many stains I've removed with this formula. It works on almost everything.
              Thanks! I'll give it a try at the next stop that I can wash clothes!

Comment

I mean... You are backpacking. Wear them. It's like a grass stain on baseball pants. If they aren't dirty you are doing it wrong. But yeah, try what get said. Or go into the grocery store and see what they have. Might not be oxyclran but euros get stains too. I am sure they have something.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tailoredbydang View Post
                  but I left them in the sun so I'm afraid that it has already set in forever
                  Probably. I personally wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for these if they've been dried in the sun. You're probably better off getting another pair of pants than continuing to stress about these. If you don't mind the weight, you can carry them home and try oxyclean/whatever at your leisure. You can also just wear them with the stain if you're backpacking and not worried about it.

As for peroxide, I personally would recommend against using peroxide on your clothes. Peroxide is an oxidizer and bleaches things. It might work or it might leave you with an extremely obvious faded spot (possibly with an unfaded brown streak on top if you're extra-lucky), depending on the fabric/dye. If you're going to try peroxide, definitely try it in an inconspicuous spot first, like the inside of the waistband, where hopefully your belt will cover it if it bleaches.

Comment

Where are you in Europe? They definitely have oxyclean here, just under different names. If you are in Germany I suggest you look in DM or Rossmann, they are more likely to have it.

Comment

Originally posted by tailoredbydang View Post
                      Thanks! I'll give it a try at the next stop that I can wash clothes!
                      No problem but I just realized that I gave you the wrong measurement for the baking soda portion. Use equal parts hydrogen peroxide and detergent (or dish soap) and about half part baking soda. You want the solution to be a watery paste and too much baking soda will make it too thick. You want to really saturate the stain.

Also, if the stain is set in deep, which it sounds like it is, let it sit overnight once you've brushed in the solution. There's nothing in there that will damage the cloth. Then launder as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                        As for peroxide, I personally would recommend against using peroxide on your clothes. Peroxide is an oxidizer and bleaches things. It might work or it might leave you with an extremely obvious faded spot (possibly with an unfaded brown streak on top if you're extra-lucky), depending on the fabric/dye. If you're going to try peroxide, definitely try it in an inconspicuous spot first, like the inside of the waistband, where hopefully your belt will cover it if it bleaches.
                        I was extremely skeptical of hydrogen peroxide at first for the same reason but I have never had an issue with this solution fading colors. And I've used it on everything from whites to darks. The 3% solution you get at most grocery and drug stores isn't a strong enough oxidizer to bleach out colors. But if you're not certain of the colorfastness of a fabric it would never hurt to test a small spot first.

Comment

haven't had time to clean them yet, but if they don't work out, at least i have my own version of these right lol

https://dappered.com/2017/05/fashion...-visualized-2/

Comment

Take them to the cleaners; show them the stain; and ask if they can get it out. They probably can, and it will cost around 5 dollars.

Comment

bad bump.

but I am declaring my pants un-salvageable lol.

so tl/dr. DON'T APPLY HEAT before you know what you need cleaned is cleaned.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, appreciated it.

Comment

Working...
                              X