Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarks Desert Boots - Foot Pain Issues

Hey Guys,

So I've got a pair of Clark's Desert Boots that I love the look of, the only problem is that every time I wear them it's hurting my feet and ankles. Either the balls of my feet go numb or the achilles tendons start to give out.

I've tried insoles (super feet and orthopedic) and I'm wondering if there's something I could consider to try to mitigate the problem more or if I'm SOL.

Any advice is appreciated.

I've had two pair of the cheaper desert boots (the Bushacre), and found them to be quite comfortable (if not the most supportive shoes out there). I think I did tend to get blisters as I was breaking in my first pair though.

Apart from insoles, I wouldn't be sure what to recommend. Seems there are a lot of affordable chukkas out there in the DB family that might be a better option if Clarks don't work for your feet. But sounds like you might be trying to avoid making another purchase.

Comment

This particular shoe has no support. It sounds as though that is the cause of your problem, and there isn't really anything you will be able to do about it. If you like the style, you need to find another brand with some support in the base and on the sides. The problem here is that, what makes the style distinctive is the lack of support on the sides. If you go with a full-grain leather, rather than suede, you will get some side support, but not much since it will still likely be unlined and have only 2-3 lace holes. My guess is your feet just aren't going to be happy in this type of shoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxonus View Post
        This particular shoe has no support. It sounds as though that is the cause of your problem, and there isn't really anything you will be able to do about it. If you like the style, you need to find another brand with some support in the base and on the sides. The problem here is that, what makes the style distinctive is the lack of support on the sides. If you go with a full-grain leather, rather than suede, you will get some side support, but not much since it will still likely be unlined and have only 2-3 lace holes. My guess is your feet just aren't going to be happy in this type of shoe.
        Agree with this. If you want the chukka look, but more support, you'll have to look elsewhere from desert boots (i.e., those having limited upper structure with a crepe sole). There are a lot of options at varying pricing levels (main site posts on these regularly) that you can look at. If a pair of those don't work, then the chukka just may not work for you.

Comment

Insoles should help, but they might cause cramping in the toe box. Some of my friends use insoles with their Clarks boots, but they purchased a half-size larger in order to accommodate. It sounds like you've already tried this and aren't happy with the results, though.

There are certainly other brands that make a "chukka" style boot and that advertise better support, but I don't have experience with any of them. One I've been wanting to try is the Scout from Thursday Boot Company. See the image below.

Comment

Yeah, I have tried on the clarks multiple times and they never feel good on my feet. I need to find an alternative.

Comment

I'd look for something with some rigidity through the mid foot. Shoes obviously have to bend at the ball of the foot to enable walking, but Clarks and most other desert boots will bend right in the middle, where your arch is, or even in the heel if you just flex them between your hands. There are other chukka styles that will be less prone to flexing and twisting through the arch of your foot that might work better for you. Just grab the heel in one hand and the toe in the other and see if you can flex them right in the arch really easily, and also try twisting them (heel in one direction, toe in the other) - if they twist really easily through the mid foot they probably won't offer any support. The more supportive versions will have a board (they call them board lasted) through the mid foot so they still allow the shoe to flex at the ball but add some rigidity from the heel through the arch. Really supportive ones would have a contoured nylon or steel shank there but those require a bulkier sole and hence aren't found on chukkas very often.
              “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for all of this guys, looks like i have a new shoe to buy!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbumman View Post
                  Thanks for all of this guys, looks like i have a new shoe to buy!
                  I'm going to give a bit of an alternative view. Now keep in mind, this is just going off of the information in your post. If this happens with most minimalist shoes, you may want to think about something else being wrong rather than the shoe. I understand the shoes do not provide any support but adding support sometimes makes your feet relax too much and get weaker/worse. If you need a highly supportive shoe to be able to walk, that may be indicative of another issue. I am thinking this because I have wide feet and my clarks give some of the best room for my feet to be comfortable. Keep in mind that this is based off one post so I could be way off base.

Comment

Hey Guys,

So I've got a pair of Clark's Desert Boots that I love the look of, the only problem is that every time I wear them it's hurting my feet and ankles. Either the balls of my feet go numb or the achilles tendons start to give out.

I've tried insoles (super feet and orthopedic) and I'm wondering if there's something I could consider to try to mitigate the problem more or if I'm SOL.

Any advice is appreciated.
                    balls of feet going numb sounds like a problem! My legs can go numb from some back muscles swell up from some older injuries, no matter what shoe I'm wearing.

I do 1/2size+ to fit superfeet inserts into all but my slip on shoes, but I have moved up to the orange superfeet gradually from the less arch support colors. If the orthopedics don't help then I don't know what to suggest there. Has this happened with any other shoes?

Comment

Nope just the D-boots. My go tos are flip-flops and sperrys (AKA florida formal wear).

I run frequently and play rugby competitively - I use superfeet in my cleats. I've always had the numbing issue when I ran but doc says it's just how my feet pinch a nerve - nothing serious. Sometimes if I've been wearing my deacons for more than 7-8 miles worth of walking (they're great traveling shoes) around the tendons start to give out but with the D-boots it happens almost immediately.

Comment

Try some Astorflex ones. They're awesome; I found them to be much more comfortable to CDB's or Bushacres.

Comment

Nope just the D-boots. My go tos are flip-flops and sperrys (AKA florida formal wear).

I run frequently and play rugby competitively - I use superfeet in my cleats. I've always had the numbing issue when I ran but doc says it's just how my feet pinch a nerve - nothing serious. Sometimes if I've been wearing my deacons for more than 7-8 miles worth of walking (they're great traveling shoes) around the tendons start to give out but with the D-boots it happens almost immediately.
                          Is this your GP or a podiatrist? I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but this smacks of a giant pile of smelly bovine feces. I don't think "pinched nerve" and "tendons giving out" should be the normal for anyone. Nerves are not meant to be pinched and if it happens repeatedly, the myelin sheath around your nerve will start to wear and that is NOT something you want. I would strongly suggest getting a second opinion on your foot issues.

Comment

theres not much padding or support in a desert boot

Comment

Working...
                            X