Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is burgundy suede not a more popular color in men's shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why is burgundy suede not a more popular color in men's shoes?

my first thought was that it could appear a little feminine, but i kinda like the dark burgundy look. it's popular enough as a calf color to make me wonder.

That's a really interesting question. It's the third main color for calf (after brown and black, not counting the shades of brown separately), but nowhere in suede (in which a host of colors are common: brown, grey, blue, black, green, and multiple shades of some of those colors).

I think the answer must be to do with femininity. Remember that the traditional shades of burgundy are very dark/on the purple side (e.g. AE merlot or shell color #8) and that lighter/more reddish shades (AE oxblood) do get criticized along the lines of lighter browns such as AE walnut - for being too flashy, which is in a way feminizing them. I think that few would seriously deny that walnut and oxblood are prettier than their darker alternatives (brown and merlot, or chili for that matter). But their very prettiness gets held against them.

I imagine that suede's texture means that it is easier to make burgundy visible when it is on the red/light/oxblood side than when on the purple/dark/merlot side, and so burgundy suede would tend towards looking flashy and so feminine.

Just a thought, anyway.

Comment

I never really noticed that before, interesting question. While burgundy smooth leather can have a very rich and complex depth to it, the few examples of "burgundy" suede that I have seen were very one dimensional and reminded me of red velvet cake in the way they looked, not a very appealing look to me for a shoe. I wonder if there is something about the dying process that makes this a difficult color to capture well with suede leather, or if a quality shoe company could do it well if they put effort into it.

The only other thing I can think of is that I normally associate suede with more casual summer shoes. I like burgundy a lot, but I don't really associate it with summer casual, so maybe shoe manufacturers stick to more season specific colors and more casual looks when dealing with suede?

those are my guesses anyway, I am curious to hear more opinions.

Comment

I like burgundy suede for casual shoes but it can be very limiting given my personal wardrobe. plus they are noticeable so if you wear them often they can be overbearing. "Oh, there is the red shoe guy". I am a big fan of burgundy but wear it sparingly.

Comment

I have some casual shoes in burgundy suede. I love them and wear them all the time. J. Fitzpatrick had a recent GMTO with burgundy suede for a more formal shoe which I did not like.

Comment

Great question, I think it might be because suede has more texture than calf, so it tends to be flashier and more casual. You're right that it seems like there aren't many burgundy suede dress shoes out there. The ones I see tend to be a lighter shade of burgundy or red.
            Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I can't speak for shoes, but I love the colour of burgundy suits. I keep kicking myself for not purchasing one of the burgundy suits from JC when they were on sale.

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] those are some nice looking shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                my first thought was that it could appear a little feminine, but i kinda like the dark burgundy look. it's popular enough as a calf color to make me wonder.
                AE calf skin merlot is too flashy for me; AE shell dark burgundy, I can wear this everyday

During my pre-forum days, I got a pair burgundy sneakers. I got tons of compliments, but yeah, it's a bold color not everyone has the guts to wear.

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                  AE calf skin merlot is too flashy for me; AE shell dark burgundy, I can wear this everyday

During my pre-forum days, I got a pair burgundy sneakers. I got tons of compliments, but yeah, it's a bold color not everyone has the guts to wear.
                  Really? Are you sure you're not thinking of AE's oxblood? That's certainly pretty flashy. It might even be flashier than bourbon, and almost as flashy as walnut. I love both walnut and oxblood, but they're clearly not to everyone's taste. Anyway, I would never think of merlot as being flashy. To my eyes, it's a pretty dark and conservative color, albeit with a lot of depth to it.

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                    Really? Are you sure you're not thinking of AE's oxblood?
                    Positive, what I have is merlot, not oxblood. I can only wear them with a suit; with a sport coat, it's just one color too many.

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                      Positive, what I have is merlot, not oxblood. I can only wear them with a suit; with a sport coat, it's just one color too many.
                      Interesting. I often wear a blue (not navy) sport coat, light-blue shirt, mid-grey or light-grey wool pants, merlot McAllister [or oxblood McGregor], and a burgundy tie. But neither my tastes nor my workplace are very conservative. In fact, that's at the more conservative end of my spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                        Really? Are you sure you're not thinking of AE's oxblood? That's certainly pretty flashy. It might even be flashier than bourbon, and almost as flashy as walnut. I love both walnut and oxblood, but they're clearly not to everyone's taste. Anyway, I would never think of merlot as being flashy. To my eyes, it's a pretty dark and conservative color, albeit with a lot of depth to it.
                        I am surprised to hear this too, I have a pair of Merlot McAllisters and to me they are one of the most versitle dress shoes out there. They go great with navy, charcoal, olive, just about any shade of blue or grey, and even some shades of brown/tan. The color is different enough to add some depth and interest to your outfit, but still subtle enough to not jump out at you from across the room (for me they have worked fine in fairly conservative business environments). The oxford construction makes them great with a suit, but thanks to the broguing and color they are easy to dress down with a jacket and odd trousers or even just some more dressy cotton trousers and a dress shirt.......I also have a pair of AE dark burgundy shell shoes and think those actually come off as more bold and flashy.....but to each their own, that's what makes these forums interesting to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X