Solid Navy Tie with Black Suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid Navy Tie with Black Suit?

Is this a no-no? I've read a few votes against this on other sites so I wanted to see what the consensus was here. I'm going to Symphony next Friday evening and I'm trying to figure out which tie to pair with my black suit + white shirt combo. Thought about just picking up a solid black tie to go super formal as well. I already have a good black tie with pink diagonal (thin regimental pattern) stripes that works well for these occasions but I wore that to the last event and want to change it up.

What about a silver (though not overly shiny) tie?

Comment

What about a black bow tie?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Silver touches me as a bit too wedding or prom like for some reason...and bow ties aren't really my style. I think a solid black tie with this combo is a bit too funeral director/priest like. Maybe something charcoal or black with a nice pattern would do.

Comment

Purple is my favorite color, and it pairs well with black (if it's subtle).

As for navy, it probably depends on the shade. I'm just speculating here, but a darker navy will probably just look like it's supposed to match the suit, but the tone is off. (Like wearing mismatched jacket and pants). But if it's a lighter navy, I suppose it would work. But if you can find something else, that'd probably be the safest route.

Clooney pulls it off...

... but Radcliffe doesn't (the shirt certainly isn't helping)

Comment

Yeah. Put me in the no solid navy ties with black suits bucket. I like pink, purple, silver, etc. Feel free to wear a dark pink/purple/many other colors shirt with a striped tie. Lots of options, but a white shirt will work with a million tie combinations.

Comment

This is why I don't own a black suit. I'm with thmage, my favorite color is purple. And I wear it quite often. I have a black velvet blazer that I will pair with purple regularly. When it comes to black, I stick to either my black blazer or sometimes I'll wear my black trousers that have a pinstripe, but never together. My only black suit would be a tux when the time comes to purchase one.

Comment

Clooney could wear a clown suit and pull it off. Anyway, I probably wouldn't do a navy with black. A little too close in color.

Comment

Working...
                X