Kansas City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas City?

Going to be in Kansas City for a conference in a few weeks. Will probably only have some free time in the evenings a couple of the nights I'm there. No car but willing to Uber or use public transit. Any mensware shops worth checking out while I'm there?

I don't know of any KC specific menswear stores that I could recommend. I will give a restaurant rec though, Q39 has very good KC style barbeque.

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
      I don't know of any KC specific menswear stores that I could recommend. I will give a restaurant rec though, Q39 has very good KC style barbeque.
      Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to eat as much BBQ as possible during my stay.

Comment

Never stayed in KC, but if I did, I would want to check out Baldwin. Best denim I own, and everything I've seen from him has been top notch in design and quality. I have no idea what the store is like, but I would be interested in checking out a homegrown KC designer that really promotes the Made in USA/small town/heritage aesthetic.

Comment

If you're a baseball fan, the stadium there is supposed to be very nice

Comment

Pack heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
              Pack heat.
              Got it, will bring a hair dryer

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
                Never stayed in KC, but if I did, I would want to check out Baldwin. Best denim I own, and everything I've seen from him has been top notch in design and quality. I have no idea what the store is like, but I would be interested in checking out a homegrown KC designer that really promotes the Made in USA/small town/heritage aesthetic.
                Great suggestion, thanks! Looks like their KC store in Country Club Plaza is an easy bus ride from my conference hotel. Anything you particularly like about their denim?

Comment

My wife lived there many, many, many years ago (moved away when she was 8) and goes back sporadically to visit various relatives and acquaintances. I think the Plaza - AKA the Country Club Plaza - is the neighborhood she mentions most frequently as having good shopping. The central commercial area of that neighborhood has a lot of Spanish Mission style architecture and there's a canal running adjacent to it that does gondola rides, or at least did. I'm not sure it has any true independent boutique type menswear stores or just the same chain stores seen elsewhere but it may be worth a little pre-trip research.
                  “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

KC resident here. If you're coming for a conference there's a good chance you're staying in downtown KC. If so, it might be worth checking out Houndstooth (www.houndstoothkc.com), which is a nice menswear store (think suits and sport coats). The streetcar (free to ride) will take you from downtown and drop you off almost right at the door.

For more casual stuff, the Country Club Plaza as already mentioned has Baldwin, Charlie Hustle (hipsterish t-shirts, you see Paul Rudd wearing their Heart KC shirts), plus more mass market shops like J Crew, Banana Republic, and Gap.

There's also an Allen Edmonds store, but it's down south in the suburbs and would be a 30ish minute Uber ride from downtown.

And, definitely check out the BBQ. Q39 is far and away my favorite, and it takes reservations if you're planning ahead. Joe's Kansas City (formerly Oklahoma Joe's) is also awesome and has the famous Z-Man sandwich. The original gas station location, which is probably closest to you, typically has a line out the door at lunch and dinner time. Best hole in the wall place is LC's BBQ, which is east of the Plaza. It's not in the nicest part of town, but the burnt ends are worth it.

Comment

Jack Stack BBQ is good. Joes is famous; love the gumbo. If you do go to the Allen Edmonds store in Leawood, nearby there's a place called Brobecks BBQ. Imagine TN/Memphis style bbq and some Carolina tang (owner's from Knoxville).

Comment

Working...
                      X