Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will one article of clothing/watch rule them all for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TMann View Post

As far as other items, I'm still on the search for a watch that is "The One." I want something that is: distinctive, yet not too showy; the proper size for my diminutive wrist; expensive enough to be exclusive, but not so expensive that I'd be afraid to wear it; casual enough for work, but formal enough to wear with a blazer and tie. I suspect that I'm looking for a chronograph watch, but I'm not quite sure.

Depending on your budget, the Nomos Club or Tangomat could fit the bill. Not a chrono but still distinctive and versatile. You could get a Club for a steal on WatchUSeek if you don't mind pre-owned.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbumman View Post
      My filson brief did that to me for bags
      Same here. I have all I need in my Filson roll-aboard with 500,000 air miles on it and Filson briefcase.

Watches? Surprisingly, my Steinhart Ovean Vintage Military lives on my wrist almost always.

Shoes? I will never find one shoe that will rule them all.
      Mark

Comment

Barbour Beaufort for me.

Comment

...As for watches, well shit man, i still want all the watches.
          Yep.

Comment

As for watches, well shit man, i still want all the watches.
            This is turning out to be a hard sell to the wife-to-be mind you...

Comment

I think it partly has to do with my mindset. I used to buy tons of jeans in every shade from light to dark. Now, I just have one pair of light, one pair of dark. Why waste the time/money/resources otherwise? This idea has reached to most of my wardrobe.

That coupled with the fact that my tastes have largely outgrown many of the poorly made, cheap clothes featured on this site (not all of it of course, but JCF, Land's End, J Crew, etc). Once I buy a quality item to fill a purpose, I dont need any more, nor do I have the resources to buy multiples.

Same with watches in fact. I have entirely too many cheaper ones. I have been trying to figure out how I can find just one watch to rule them all.

I dont know about everyone, but I have seen most posters in this thread for here a while. I think we are just growing up. When I started reading this site in what 2007-2008? (my word it's been 10 years?! what am I doing?). I was young, didnt have much beside typical college clothes, still needed to find my style. I have settled in.

Comment

Kent Wang polos - these really are perfect. I have zero reason to ever look for better ones
                Bonobos chinos and travel jean - these fit me perfectly

Pretty damn happy with my suits/blazers from SuitSupply. But someday I want to get a Sid Mashburn suit and a Boglioli or Caruso blazer.
                An Omega Speedy would stop me from ever looking at other watches.

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post
                  I think it partly has to do with my mindset. I used to buy tons of jeans in every shade from light to dark. Now, I just have one pair of light, one pair of dark. Why waste the time/money/resources otherwise? This idea has reached to most of my wardrobe.

That coupled with the fact that my tastes have largely outgrown many of the poorly made, cheap clothes featured on this site (not all of it of course, but JCF, Land's End, J Crew, etc). Once I buy a quality item to fill a purpose, I dont need any more, nor do I have the resources to buy multiples.

Same with watches in fact. I have entirely too many cheaper ones. I have been trying to figure out how I can find just one watch to rule them all.

I dont know about everyone, but I have seen most posters in this thread for here a while. I think we are just growing up. When I started reading this site in what 2007-2008? (my word it's been 10 years?! what am I doing?). I was young, didnt have much beside typical college clothes, still needed to find my style. I have settled in.
                  Here is where you run into the issue, "if you can't afford to lose it, you can't afford to buy it." I know people don't look to ruin clothing, shoes, or watches but accidents happen. My watch is insured but everything else, if I someone ruined it, I can afford to buy it again.

Comment

As far as jeans go, I have several pair from Uniqlo, Levis, J Crew, etc., but got a pair of DSTLD Denim (straight fit) raw denim jeans because they're only $65 and I didn't want to spend hundreds to dip my toe into the raw denim world. I haven't worn anything else since, and I really haven't looked for anything else either.
                    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

[MENTION=4392]mark4[/MENTION]

How does DSTLD jeans fit compared to Uniqlo? If they're similar, I may have to give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by ImagePree View Post
                        [MENTION=4392]mark4[/MENTION]

How does DSTLD jeans fit compared to Uniqlo? If they're similar, I may have to give it a shot.
                        My pair of Uniqlo jeans were purchased a few years back so your mileage may vary in that regard, but DSTLD jeans fit pretty true to size compared to Levis in their straight fit configuration. I've never owned a pair of slim fit Levis so can't say how the DSTLD slim fit compares to those, but I'm a 32 in the DSTLD but sized down to a 31 in the straight fit. They offer 30 day free returns so you can try them on at home risk free so long as you send them back in like new condition (don't wear them out on the town and think you can return them).

They're made of raw 12 oz denim which is by no means an extreme weight but is somewhat heavier than typical washed jeans (regular Levis, etc.) so be aware of that - they offered a lighter weight denim last summer so maybe they'll bring that back. They're sanfordized to prevent shrinkage and have 2% spandex for a little extra give. They say to wear them for 3 months before washing but I didn't make it anywhere near that long (I go a month tops and am not wearing them every day - only 3 full days a week on average) and I'm still getting some very nice custom fades in high wear areas. The washing instructions say to machine wash cold and line dry but my wife put my slim fit pair through a dry cycle on low and they're still wearable so shrinkage is pretty minimal. I would still avoid machine drying if you can. The advantage of raw denim is you get more fading, faster in wear areas than you do with washed denim. Someday maybe I'll try another more expensive brand but so far I see no reason to.
                        Last edited by mark4; May 11, 2017, 02:09 PM.
                        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                          My pair of Uniqlo jeans were purchased a few years back so your mileage may vary in that regard, but DSTLD jeans fit pretty true to size compared to Levis in their straight fit configuration. I've never owned a pair of slim fit Levis so can't say how the DSTLD slim fit compares to those, but I'm a 32 in the DSTLD but sized down to a 31 in the straight fit. They offer 30 day free returns so you can try them on at home risk free so long as you send them back in like new condition (don't wear them out on the town and think you can return them).

They're made of raw 12 oz denim which is by no means an extreme weight but is somewhat heavier than typical washed jeans (regular Levis, etc.) so be aware of that - they offered a lighter weight denim last summer so maybe they'll bring that back. They're sanfordized to prevent shrinkage and have 2% spandex for a little extra give. They say to wear them for 3 months before washing but I didn't make it anywhere near that long (I go a month tops and am not wearing them every day - only 3 full days a week on average) and I'm still getting some very nice custom fades in high wear areas. The washing instructions say to machine wash cold and line dry but my wife put my slim fit pair through a dry cycle on low and they're still wearable so shrinkage is pretty minimal. I would still avoid machine drying if you can. The advantage of raw denim is you get more fading, faster in wear areas than you do with washed denim. Someday maybe I'll try another more expensive brand but so far I see no reason to.
                          My Uniqlo jeans were also from a few years ago, in 31/regular fit selvedge.
                          Levis comparison is actually pretty useless to me though but your detailed explanation is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                          X