Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will one article of clothing/watch rule them all for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will one article of clothing/watch rule them all for you?

I recently purchased a new watch and for me, that watch has pretty much ended my quest for watches at the moment. Sure I'm casually looking others, but that burning desire to pick up X has diminished. Of course that could change if my circumstances change, but for now I think I'm ok on the watch front.

So that started me thinking. Do any of you feel you'll be able to purchase that one item - be it a pair of shoes, a watch, a suit, etc - and be done with it? Will you be able to purchase that pair of shoes you've always wanted and then be "ok, I'm out" and no longer look to purchase another pair of shoes? Minus wear and tear, wearing out, etc. of course. A quick look at my ever growing collection of AE shoes would indicate I'm not done yet on that front. But I digress...

Anyway. Just some random thoughts as I was coming back from lunch.

Cheers.

This. And only this. I guess this is more than one "article", technically.

Comment

After purchasing my last two pairs of 'dressier' shoes (pair of AE-made-for-Club Monaco brown suede double monks and some AE Daltons in burgundy cordovan), I haven't really looked at any other shoes. Guaranteed it's only been about 7 months, but that's a relatively long stretch for me, at least relative to the last more-than-decade. It's less so about either of them being 'the one'/'it', but more that I feel like I've reached the point where my collection covers me well, especially relative to the room I have to store it (as is, my shoe collection is hard to store in my small NYC apartment).

In terms of clothing, I haven't had a huge itch to purchase anything new for a bit, other than replenishing items (dress shirts, underwear, undershirts, etc.) and buying a new pair of swim trunks (I typically buy a new one per season and retire an older one, similar to replenishing, but felt odd enough to point it out). I like the slowed pace of my wants/'needs', especially given that I have other stuff I want to be using that cash for.

As for watches, that's an entirely different story... I'm currently not in the market, but have plenty of things I continue to want (and which won't be purchased for a while, most likely).

Comment

One good quality dress watch would probably be all I would ever buy. I just can't justify an expensive casual watch when I tend to start drumming my hands whenever I am near a flat surface and that would probably screw an automatic up pretty good. I have a drummer friend who wears nice watches and he always takes them off before performing. At least with a dress watch, I'm probably in a situation where drumming would be bad form.

I have a good charcoal suit for funerals and other serious situations but I would love to spend big bucks on a really nice lighter patterned suit for things like weddings or parties. That would be a "one and done" situation as I'm pretty sure the wife would have a cow if I bought more than one expensive suit (maybe even have a cow for the first one.) She kind of has to back off a hair because I bought her a $500+ pair of boots (heavily heavily discounted) for her birthday coming up in a few days and she swooned over them.

Comment

My filson brief did that to me for bags and my last S&M suit did that as well (though it did spark a tie/pocket square search).

As for watches, well shit man, i still want all the watches.

Comment

I've got 6 pairs Allen Edmond's and a handful off other dress shoes from random manufactures and unless something pops up that I really love (and I happen to have extra spending money in my pocket) I am essentially done with buying dress shoes.....for that matter I have 2 pairs of sneakers, a pair of boat shoes, 2 pairs of boots, running shoes, casual loafers, and a pair of flip flops (gasp!) that I am all really happy with, so really at this point until something wears out I have no interest in buying more shoes of any kind.

Similarly I now own 4 suits that I am very happy with and typically I only wear a suit 2-5 times a month so I have no interest in buying more suits.

Watches on the other hand i have a little bit of a soft spot for, I enjoy owning a variety. So even though I already own 8 I will probably be buying another in the near future.

I guess I enjoy variety so no matter how good they are I think I would take my 6 pairs of AE's over one pair of nicer shoes, or I like having different suits for different situation so i would not want to replace my 4 (one dark wool, one light wool, one chino, and one linen) suits with just one or two, even if they were higher quality. Same goes with the watches, but even more so with them, I like having the variety and I enjoy shopping around and searching for unique (but not over the top) watches that are well made and have great features at an affordable price, plus I like to match dress watches with dressed up outfits and casual watches with casual outfits and so on.

Comment

AE McAllisters
              Seiko 007 Watch
              Banana Republic Rapid Movement Denin

Comment

Suit Supply navy York suit....I rarely wear suits, so this covers me
                Rolex GMT Master II......I used to trade, sell, and swap on WUS, now I am good
                LBM 1911 sport coat.....I just picked it up from Nordstrom a Rack on clearance, can't wait to get it back from the tailor
                $15 AE burgundy Grayson......I own way to many shoes, but these filled a hole in my collection

I could always buy more in each category, but similar to [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION], I an pretty well covered in these categories. I am implementing a self imposed 6 month spending freeze on clothing.

Comment

Watches (as well as briefcases, luggage, sunglasses) are durable and not seasonal. It is easy to have only one. However, I live in a four-season climate and wear a suit and dress shoes to work every day and, while it would be possible to have only one of each, it would be impractical. I have made some recent purchases that should complete certain categories of clothing for the foreseeable future. For example, denim (Drakes selvedge) and casual overcoats (Billy Reid pea coat).

Comment

Harrington jacket was the last casual jacket I wanted to get for the longest time. Putting it off because sizing and pricing seemed all over the place. Randomly I saw one and got it when I was on a vacation in Tokyo. That same day I bought a field jacket that I ended up loving more.

Shoes: I've been wanting to get a pair like AE Dalton, but probably won't because they're not that versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                      Harrington jacket was the last casual jacket I wanted to get for the longest time. Putting it off because sizing and pricing seemed all over the place. Randomly I saw one and got it when I was on a vacation in Tokyo. That same day I bought a field jacket that I ended up loving more.

Shoes: I've been wanting to get a pair like AE Dalton, but probably won't because they're not that versatile.
                      From what I have seen of your style posted here, I agree Dalton's would not be a great fit. I have trouble incorporating them and if not for the ridiculously low price I paid for them, I would think twice.

I think I would say my watch is my one item that won't have me looking. I have talked with my wife and we may purchase a Rolex Daytona at some point but only to share wearing it.

I really love the SuitSuply Havana blue sport coat I bought last year. I grab it more than any other sport coat as it ticks the right details. If I could get one in the same fabric but brown, I would not look again except once replacement time came.

Comment

I disagree with [MENTION=11274]3piece[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] about the versatility of AE Daltons; I wear my walnut Daltons with everything except my charcoal grey suit and my PJs. No idea about the OP's steez, but it's hard for me to imagine Daltons wouldn't fit in somewhere.

(My One Piece to Rule Them All would in fact be my AE Daltons. Runner up would probably be my J Crew Ludlow natural linen sport coat; I wear it nearly every day for ~4 months out of the year.)

Comment

yeah daltons are definitely versatile. they can be dressed up smart casual, business casual and even work well with jeans and casual button up or henley

Comment

Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
                            I disagree with [MENTION=11274]3piece[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] about the versatility of AE Daltons; I wear my walnut Daltons with everything except my charcoal grey suit and my PJs. No idea about the OP's steez, but it's hard for me to imagine Daltons wouldn't fit in somewhere.

(My One Piece to Rule Them All would in fact be my AE Daltons. Runner up would probably be my J Crew Ludlow natural linen sport coat; I wear it nearly every day for ~4 months out of the year.)
                            Originally posted by HankScorpio View Post
                            yeah daltons are definitely versatile. they can be dressed up smart casual, business casual and even work well with jeans and casual button up or henley
                            [MENTION=11274]3piece[/MENTION] has posted some of his fits before and it seems Daltons would not be the best fit for what he has posted. Also I am thinking Walnut Daltons....another color may work better.

Personally, I am in wool trousers and a sport coat M-Th and I feel Daltons just don't work great with those fits either. For instance, Walnut Strands could work but Daltons just feel like they aren't the best choice. Now I love Daltons with denim and I am a very slow convert to wearing chinos but I think they may go with those.

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                              I don't own a pair of AE Dalton's, but I do own two other (admittedly lesser quality) brogued derby boots and I find them to be incredibly versatile. They're casual enough to wear with jeans, but dressy enough to wear with anything short of a suit. Heck, if I purchased those walnut Daltons, I could realistically get rid of most of my other shoes. They're the perfect shoe for someone, like me, who lives in the Pacific Northwest. Having said that...it all depends on your most common mode of dress. Given that your forum moniker is "3piece", perhaps a more formal shoe would be more useful for you.

As far as other items, I'm still on the search for a watch that is "The One." I want something that is: distinctive, yet not too showy; the proper size for my diminutive wrist; expensive enough to be exclusive, but not so expensive that I'd be afraid to wear it; casual enough for work, but formal enough to wear with a blazer and tie. I suspect that I'm looking for a chronograph watch, but I'm not quite sure. Perhaps a "panda" style chrono? Decisions, decision...

Last edited by TMann; May 8, 2017, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X