Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pocketsquare for a business presentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pocketsquare for a business presentation?

Hi, i'm gonna be doing a business presentation for my class, and the dress code for the occasion is business professional. Just wondering if wearing a white pocketsquare with my black suit is acceptable or too much?

Both the black suit and any sort of pocketsquare at all would be a bit much for an actual business presentation.

Both are fine for a school presentation, I would imagine, but I'm very far removed from that world so I could be wrong.

Comment

School presentation? I'd just go with the black suit (and I did in college). The pocketsquare would be acceptable but really not necessary! Good luck.

Comment

If you have a navy or charcoal suit, wear that instead. Black suits are more formal than professional attire. I think the pocket square would be fine if you do a straight fold.

Comment

Agree with Jack on the suit color. Personally I'd say that a pocketsquare is a bit much for a school presentation, but I generally don't wear them anyway.

Comment

You can do a square fold without it being over the top on the pocket sqaure. Charcoal suit is better than black unless you're swinging by a funeral or prom afterwards.

Comment

agree w/ everyone who says the real problem is the suit color. black suits always turn out to be a lot less useful than you picture them in your head. charcoal ftw.

that said, my $0.02 on pocket squares: if you'd wear them anyway, hell, go for it. I like to do the tiny little peek of color, straight across. nothing fancy. just make sure everything else is correct because if you make some rookie mistake like mismatching tie/lapel width or having your pants bunched up around your ankles, the pocket square will look like you're trying WAY too hard.

Comment

Unless you are in a graduate program, you will be better dressed than all of them - regardless of your suit color. Based on how you phrased your question, your best (or only) suit is probably this black one. Black is fine, not ideal if it was a job interview or business client meeting, but it is absolutely fine for a presentation. And if it's well-fitting, then it's a GREAT suit for a presentation.

And I think the pocket square would be a nice touch (white, cotton, crisp straight fold). If you're going to worry about it though as if people are judging you, then do without it. Giving a presentation is already enough stress.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X