• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walmart is buying Bonobos?

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/14/153...cquisition-jet

Seems like an odd pairing.....
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Looks like they are trying to compete with Amazon, also bought Moosejaw https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/15/wa...or-51-million/

Comment

Wow, this is really odd news. I wonder if quality will be effected.

Comment

Great. Now in addition to people here writing about SuSu (a term that makes me want to barf - so contrived) we can have WaMa.

Comment

Booooooo.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
            Great. Now in addition to people here writing about SuSu (a term that makes me want to barf - so contrived) we can have WaMa.
            I completely agree on the Suit Supply nickname. I cringe upon reading it. On topic, ugh, I really like Bonobos, but I only buy stuff when it's on sale. Merging with Walmart might drop the price, but it will probably ruin the quality. I haven't bought anything from Walmart in years, never bought clothes there.

Comment

This is why I hate giving info. to anyone. Wal-Mart will most definitely be harvesting all of Bonobos customer info. in the acquisition; email, phone, address, etc. of its customers, and will disperse it to all of its other partner companies. I also try not to be pretentious, but I guess I somewhat am, as I dont want the parent company of the clothes I am buying to be Wal-Mart. If this sale goes through, I wont be a customer anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                This is why I hate giving info. to anyone. Wal-Mart will most definitely be harvesting all of Bonobos customer info. in the acquisition; email, phone, address, etc. of its customers, and will disperse it to all of its other partner companies. I also try not to be pretentious, but I guess I somewhat am, as I dont want the parent company of the clothes I am buying to be Wal-Mart. If this sale goes through, I wont be a customer anymore.
                Yeah, seriously. I haven't bought from bonobos yet, but their stuff fits me really well so I was planning on getting a suit when I needed one from them. The Walton family uses the Wal Mart charity as a tax free piggy bank.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoc...ly-foundation/

Comment

Well IMO this is not as bad or disturbing as when Caleres "Famous Footware" bought Allen Edmonds a few months ago. Bonobos is by no means the pinnacle of places to get men's apparel, but if you are looking for dress shoes made in the USA the it's Alden or Allen Edmonds. I would be more distressed if Wal Mart bought Brooks Brothers.
                  You can never have enough shoes

Comment

Welp. Guess I'll be clicking unsubscribe on a bunch of stuff soon in my email.... :\
                    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I don't believe Wal-Mart will cheapen the Bonobos brand or its quality. They are looking for this purchase to diversify their online profits and differentiate their online offerings from Amazon. They also want ecommerce talent. I'd be very surprised if you saw Bobobos branded clothing in Wal-Mart as I bet most of their customers have never even heard of the brand.

Comment

Hey, if it helps Walmart shoppers dress better...

Comment

Originally posted by DrewCPA View Post
                          I'd be very surprised if you saw Bobobos branded clothing in Wal-Mart as I bet most of their customers have never even heard of the brand.
                          Not to mention the fact that Bonobos prices don't really mesh with everything else they sell.

In regards to the acquisition, it's definitely an unexpected move.

Comment

Looks like Walmart is in a mood to shop, based on several recent online clothing acquisitions. Someone already mentioned Moosejaw, but there's also been Shoebuy and Modcloth. Certainly much faster in growing the online presence and scale by acquiring select businesses rather than trying to build it out organically.

Comment

It'll be interesting. I'm no businessman but I doubt there'd be much change in the near future. Still an up and coming brand that they'll probably help grow in their current model before cheapening it for better profits.

And people concerned Walmart will get their info through Bonobos.....I'd bet money Walmart already has your info, or could easily have it if they wanted....

Comment

Working...
                              X