Walmart is buying Bonobos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by udub86 View Post
    I doubt that Walmart potentially buying Bonobos will drive down the quality of the product. It's more like the diversification of revenue streams rather than expanding to a broader audience. Mergers and acquisitions don't necessarily make a positive or negative impact. Look at Daimler Chrysler. Those Chrysler/Dodge cars didn't get better, and Mercedes didn't go in the toilet. Let's see what happens.

You DO know that Daimler Chrysler is no longer a company, right? Mercedes Benz sold of Chrysler several years ago precisely for the reason that it WAS affecting the quality, reliability and brand image of MB cars. MB cars in the early to mid 2000's were horrible. And had Plymouth parts bin interiors. Chrysler on the other hand has always been shit, and likely always will be.

Comment

This will make me sad if this happens as Bonobos has become my go to for jeans, chinos and button downs. I despise what Wal-Mart is and does and don't like giving them my money.

Comment

Originally posted by CptSlow View Post
        You DO know that Daimler Chrysler is no longer a company, right? Mercedes Benz sold of Chrysler several years ago precisely for the reason that it WAS affecting the quality, reliability and brand image of MB cars. MB cars in the early to mid 2000's were horrible. And had Plymouth parts bin interiors. Chrysler on the other hand has always been shit, and likely always will be.
        I'm very aware of that. I guess I didn't articulate my point clearly enough. Chrysler was obviously crap before and after the merger, but MB stayed relatively the same.

Comment

I doubt Wal-Mart will try to dramatically change Bonobos' business model and I doubt it will incorporate Bonobos' clothing into its own retail spaces. I suspect we will not see any perceptible changes, certainly not in the near-term, as a result of the acquisition.

However it does make me a lot more hesitant to buy from Bonobos in the future, knowing that some portion of my money will ultimately be funneled into the pockets of the already-obscenely-wealthy Walton dynasty.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            I doubt Wal-Mart will try to dramatically change Bonobos' business model and I doubt it will incorporate Bonobos' clothing into its own retail spaces. I suspect we will not see any perceptible changes, certainly not in the near-term, as a result of the acquisition.

However it does make me a lot more hesitant to buy from Bonobos in the future, knowing that some portion of my money will ultimately be funneled into the pockets of the already-obscenely-wealthy Walton dynasty.
            I'm in total agreement with you on that. It's just an icky thought.

Comment

they absolutely need to keep these lines of business separate. If Wal-mart cannibalizes Bonobos, that will be detrimental

Comment

Originally posted by udub86 View Post
                I'm very aware of that. I guess I didn't articulate my point clearly enough. Chrysler was obviously crap before and after the merger, but MB stayed relatively the same.
                Actually, MB quality was damaged by the combination, as was their reputation for quality during that period. They've had to fight and work hard to regain their standing. WalMart ownership of Bonobos will deter a lot of people from buying their product.

Comment

Actually, MB quality was damaged by the combination, as was their reputation for quality during that period. They've had to fight and work hard to regain their standing. WalMart ownership of Bonobos will deter a lot of people from buying their product.
                  I don't think that this will hurt Bonobos unless the price to quality ratio of their product changes drastically. For the most part I think customers don't really care who the owners are.
                  Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Agree with folks who're saying this shouldn't impact Bonobos' quality.

Agree with folks who're saying they won't buy Bonobos going forward given their purchases will ultimately fund the Walmart conglomerate.

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
                      I don't think that this will hurt Bonobos unless the price to quality ratio of their product changes drastically. For the most part I think customers don't really care who the owners are.

I respectfully disagree. If this sale goes through, I know of two customers that will never purchase from them again. WalMart get ZERO money from me. Period.

Comment

I respectfully disagree. If this sale goes through, I know of two customers that will never purchase from them again. WalMart get ZERO money from me. Period.
                        Which part don't you agree with? The quality or the ownership? I assume you're talking about the Walmart ownership. You and a handful of friends refusing to shop at Bonobos again does not qualify as "a lot of people", even if every single person in this thread stopped buying Bonobos, I still wouldn't count that as a lot. The dappered community is not representative of your average retail customer, that's been discussed ad nauseum. Unless Bonobos starts featuring the walmart logo on their website, I doubt that many people will even know that they're owned by Walmart. I mean how many people can even name the founders of Bonobos without googling?
                        Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
                          Which part don't you agree with? The quality or the ownership? I assume you're talking about the Walmart ownership. You and a handful of friends refusing to shop at Bonobos again does not qualify as "a lot of people", even if every single person in this thread stopped buying Bonobos, I still wouldn't count that as a lot. The dappered community is not representative of your average retail customer, that's been discussed ad nauseum. Unless Bonobos starts featuring the walmart logo on their website, I doubt that many people will even know that they're owned by Walmart. I mean how many people can even name the founders of Bonobos without googling?
                          I think you're underestimating the extent to which the Venn diagram of "people who don't like spending money at Walmart" and "Bonobos' target demographic" overlaps -- and also the extent to which "people who don't like to spend money at Walmart" overlaps with "people who research their purchases."

Comment

Originally posted by MNJ83 View Post
                            Well IMO this is not as bad or disturbing as when Caleres "Famous Footware" bought Allen Edmonds a few months ago. Bonobos is by no means the pinnacle of places to get men's apparel, but if you are looking for dress shoes made in the USA the it's Alden or Allen Edmonds. I would be more distressed if Wal Mart bought Brooks Brothers.
                            On that note, I spoke with an AE guy at the new Century City store here in LA. He certainly didn't seemed alarmed about the Caleres purchase. In fact, he said that a lot of people at AE viewed it as a good thing. He sounded quite confident that AEs business model wasn't going to change and that Caleres is simply expanding their markets with brand acquisitions, while bringing some financial oomph to the table on the production side of things.

I personally will start freaking out about this when WalMart shuts down guideshops and starts offering Bonobos in store for a value deal of 3 pairs of chinos for $19.97, and not before then.

Comment

Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
                              I think you're underestimating the extent to which the Venn diagram of "people who don't like spending money at Walmart" and "Bonobos' target demographic" overlaps -- and also the extent to which "people who don't like to spend money at Walmart" overlaps with "people who research their purchases."
                              I doubt walmart care. for every one of those they lose they will potentially gain new with their resources. A lower revenue company cant play the long game as well as a higher revenue company when it come to advertisement etc. Pretty sure Walmart has a better cost ratio for distribution that whatever bonobos currently has as well so that could be a positive impact that will bring in more customers. So you are correct,t hey will lose some customers. I just dont think they care.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post

I personally will start freaking out about this when WalMart shuts down guideshops and starts offering Bonobos in store for a value deal of 3 pairs of chinos for $19.97, and not before then.
                                Like Ocean Pacific, Body Glove and Mossimo. I remember when those were a lot more expensive. And no, Target/Walmart didnt degrade those products. The revived them market dried up as a lower tier product. Same as Sturhling and others have done int he watch industry.

Comment

Working...
                                X