What should I do with this suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do with this suit?

Hey everyone. I just ordered this suit from Macy's; it's a Tommy Hilfiger slim-fit suit, and I'm basically pretty happy with the style of the suit itself. What I want to know is what I should have a tailor alter. My budget is limited, and the suit seems to fit pretty decently off the rack, so I'm looking for a minimum here. So far, I want to shorten the sleeves, and probably shorten the legs of the pants. What are your thoughts?

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/v...bway/photo.jpg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv306/RedSubway/photo1.jpg

By the way, sorry about the picture quality, lighting, etc.

"The principle can be established that for a man who does not cheat, what he believes to be true must determine his action."
    -- Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

Can you do one with the shirt tucked in, as well as one where we can see your shoulder from the front?

I'd say the pants definitely need to be shortened. Besides that, it seems like a good fit to me.

Comment

It's really hard to tell. You need someone else to take the photos so we can at least see the front and back with your hands at your sides.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

shorten pants, probably shorten sleeves. agreed with greg about the pics

Comment

People should not even bother putting effort into replies for people like this that can't put any effort into taking a decent photo.

Step outside for better lighting and take a picture where your damn arms aren't up in the air.

Comment

Wow, settle down, I didn't mean to be such a waste of your time.

I was really more concerned with aspects of the fit besides the shoulders, which can't be altered and actually fit quite fine, so I didn't think the pictures would be an issue.

Anyway, thanks to the people that were actually helpful. I'll think twice before posting a thread again.

"The principle can be established that for a man who does not cheat, what he believes to be true must determine his action."
            -- Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

Comment

Well, from the photos you took about the only thing we can tell for fit is around the waist. With your arms up its impossible to comment on shoulders, sleeve length, see the chest, etc... and its impossible with your posture and quality of pics to really comment on the fit. As others have said, having a friend take the photos or using a timer with a better quality camera/lighting would allow those who know to properly critique the fit.

Based on what you did submit and your hesitance towards tailoring, I say the suit seems like its good enough off the rack. If you're going to a decent tailor, he will advise you if it needs anything more but it looks like you can probably get away with just needing the sleeves taken up.

Since questions about fit and some other things are fairly common on the boards, perhaps we could add another sticky to the top with a FAQ including some decent example photos for asking about fit and perhaps a guide on how to measure articles of clothing.

Comment

@ VespaMatt, Agreed, these photos tell us nothing. To dark, to blurry.

Comment

From what I can see in the first photo, the jacket waist doesn't look too bad. When you go to the tailor, wear a dress shirt that fits you well and get the jacket sleeves tailored to show 1/4-1/2 inch of shirt cuff. Also, have the tailor check the waist of the pants and decide what type of break you want with a pair of dress shoes you normally wear.

Comment

Working...
                  X