Quality Sock Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality Sock Brands

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a good brand for socks that are both affordable and durable? Thanks for your help!

what type of socks are you looking for?

Comment

What style socks (solid, stripes, etc)? Do you want knee-high (over-the-calf) or crew?

For knee-high I took Joe's recommendation and ordered the Nordstrom wool blend socks. I've been pleased with them thus far. For crew I've had good luck with The Tie Bar and what I've found local at T.J. Maxx. YMMV.

Comment

My favorite patterned socks are from J Crew or J Crew Factory (very similar quality), generally picked up on sale for ~$8/pair or occasionally less. They're comfortable and attractive and seem to all be holding up well.

My favorite full-cushion boot socks are from Darn Tough Vermont. These are amazing, but also super thick so only really work if you size up your shoes. They do have thinner socks that I have less experience with. These aren't cheap at about $20/pair, but they last forever and have a lifetime guarantee.

Comment

I do NOT like the Nordstrom merino wool ones since the stitching in the front is extremely uncomfortable. I recently got some Bresciani merino wool socks and they are great but expensive.

In all honesty, I mostly wear cotton ones from uniqlo. They are w ok made, last long, comfortable and in millions of colors. For $1-3 on sale, it is my go to. When I dress more formally, I wear some Pantherella socks but they are very thin/dressy and I don't foresee them lasting as long.

Comment

I'm no sock expert, but I second the recommendation on thetiebar.com socks for price point and durability. I bought 8 pair about 2 years ago and rotate them accordingly and they have all stood up really well.

Comment

Check out Sakkas Cotton Blend Ribbed Dress Socks. They're not a brand I'd ever heard of before, but I tried them via an Amazon link when looking for dress socks, and I find them comfortable to wear all day at work (and inexpensive, BTW). In the past, I've stood by Gold Toe socks, but they don't seem to last like they used to.

When it comes to casual socks, I'm 100% Ralph Lauren Polo. Costly, but worth it to me.

Comment

Bresciani for overall quality, especially their 100% linen socks if you can find them on sale (but damn they're expensive).

Express, of all places, has incredibly nice cotton socks in lots of colors/patterns for not much money. I'm wearing a pair right now that I've had for four years, and they look just as good as they did in year one.

Banana Republic for no shows.

For merino wool, it really depends how much you want to spend and how much you value 100% wool. Allen Edmonds does great merino wool socks, esp. on sale. Gilt has a million options that work just fine. Exquisite Trimmings often has high-end options (but they're pricey too -- see Bresciani).

Comment

I've personally found that both Express and The Tie Bar have nice socks but that they don't stay up well for some reason. Maybe because they're a bit taller? They're almost over the calf length for me but not quite, so maybe that's what causes them to fall. J Crew socks are a bit shorter and don't exhibit the same behavior.

Comment

I plan on stocking up on Suitsupply wool blend socks when they run their next outlet. I bought a bunch at the last one for about $3.50 a pair and they have help up very nicely. If I need dress socks now my go to is Nordstrom merino wool blend. If I want something with some color I like J Crew (on sale). For boot socks/hiking/casual I usually go with smart wool.

Comment

I wear Gold Toes and replace them every 6 months. I love the feel of new socks so I like to get new ones.

Comment

For casual crew socks I'm not overly picky, and tried some Uniqlo socks that were about $3 a pair and there were ok. I usually just look for socks that are mostly cotton (or maybe with linen) for the warmer months, and maybe some wool for the cooler months.

But for dressier socks I'm pickier. I've tried Marcoliani, Brooks Brothers, Johnston & Murphy, Loding and Viccel, all in over-the-calf, ribbed (the only way to go...don't wear cheap, fuzzy poly blend socks with tailored clothing). I've decided that for price vs performance, Viccel is hard to beat. They are fairly inexpensive for their quality and the selection of solid colored socks is good.Note that they are 100% cotton, vs merino wool. Merino wool does wick away smelly sweat better, but cotton is almost as comfortable for me.

Comment

I bought some Viccel socks a few years back (https://www.viccel.com/default.asp) and felt the quality was pretty good. At the time that I bough them, the price point was good too.

Comment

Boot socks, Thorogood.
                            Casual socks, Gold Toe.
                            OTC dress socks wool, Brooks Brothers but their cotton isn't very good IMO and selection is small. Cotton or wool, Gold Toe but they definitely have a very limited color selection.
                            Flashy fun socks, whatever I see I like. Steinmart has a ton of fun socks at middling quality.

Comment

Originally posted by winghus View Post
                              Boot socks, Thorogood.
                              Casual socks, Gold Toe.
                              OTC dress socks wool, Brooks Brothers but their cotton isn't very good IMO and selection is small. Cotton or wool, Gold Toe but they definitely have a very limited color selection.
                              Flashy fun socks, whatever I see I like. Steinmart has a ton of fun socks at middling quality.
                              How are your OTC wool socks and static cling with your pants? I have some OTC cotton socks and the static cling to my pants is horrible.

Comment

Working...
                              X