Quality Sock Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
    How are your OTC wool socks and static cling with your pants? I have some OTC cotton socks and the static cling to my pants is horrible.
    ^ this is a problem. Most of my trousers have a decent taper but nothing close to tight (nothing less than 8 inch leg opening). In all trousers I can pull my pants (admittedly with some slight resistance for some pants) over my calves to put socks. Despite this, I get the clinging routinely with OTC socks. In my profession, I go from sitting to standing every 5-10 mins for hours at a time, so I end up with my trousers cuffs clinger to my socks. It is very uncomfortable.

It is worse with pants with texture (flannel) and least with the worsted wools. And I have two pairs that have minimal taper (8.75-9 inch wide), which are also more resistant to this. Interestingly, this has occasionally happened even when I wear scrubs (super baggy 100% cotton). My dressy Pantherella wool socks (very thin, almost see through) do this quite a bit.

I did recently get a pair of thicker wool socks from Bresciani that are more resistant. I also got a pair of linen Bresciani OTC but haven't worn them yet.

My present experience has made me steer away from OTC socks in general.

Comment

Darn tough Vermont is the best. I found out about them through their ski and hiking socks, but turns out they offer great solid options in several colors with no cushioning. Called the basic light crew model I think. I have four pairs of those and hardly wear anything else in the winter.

Cost isn't cheap, but lifetime warranty makes it worth it. Recently had a pair give out, sent it back, had a new pair the next week.

Comment

I wear Orvis "Invincible" socks almost exclusively. They are are comfortable, come in a variety of colors and are SUPER durable.

http://www.orvis.com/p/mens-invincible-extra-socks/177b

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
          How are your OTC wool socks and static cling with your pants? I have some OTC cotton socks and the static cling to my pants is horrible.
          Pretty bad, I rub a dryer sheet on them before I put the pants on and it helps. Today's extremely lightweight wool fabrics on typical OTR don't drape nearly as well as heavier fabrics do. You could add a fabric softener in the wash and that helps with static. I havent done this yet to try it as I have allergy issues with scented products and most softeners are scented.

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
            I wear Orvis "Invincible" socks almost exclusively. They are are comfortable, come in a variety of colors and are SUPER durable.

http://www.orvis.com/p/mens-invincible-extra-socks/177b
            I think Darn Tough makes the Orvis Invincible socks. +1 for Darn Tough, but then I'm biased because I used to live in Northfield VT.

Comment

Uniqlo has pretty good socks

Comment

Originally posted by Gradstudent78 View Post
                Uniqlo has pretty good socks
                I got a five pack of their socks for $5 several years ago for Black Friday and each pair still holds up perfectly. It's actually kind of eerie.

I've started splurging on biking socks from The Athletic, Eye See New York (out of business now, sadly), and SmartWool. I have to say, SmartWool has been disappointing.

Comment

Two pairs of Darn Tough socks on Massdrop right now. Price is currently 37$ for two pairs with 15 more needed to unlock the $34.50 price.
                  Still spendy at ~$17/pair but a lifetime warrantee and positive reviews were enough for me to jump on board

Comment

Working...
                  X