Any Experience Dying Clothes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Experience Dying Clothes?

I feel like a goof (more than usual) for asking this, I'm in love with some of the more interesting hues of jackets this spring/summer, from the likes of LBM 1911:

Anyone ever try dyeing any article of clothing? I'm thinking if I could find some light colored, cotton/linen jackets at thrift stores (slim chance) or get an affordable jacket from H&M/Uniqlo/INC/Target (even used on eBay) that I could dye them some more interesting colors for casual wear. I gather unstructured/unlined would be better.

I googled it and found some success and horror stories from chicks but nothing in the mens world. RITT has some cool colors but I've read better things about other brands.

Horror story in the making? Tie dye blazer? Waste of time and money? Good way to blue myself and end up mistaken for Tobias Funke?

Sounds like there are a lot of ways that trying to dye a blazer can go wrong, but remember...

There's always money in the banana stand!

Comment

I've tried dying a pair of jeans but getting the right color is difficult. My thought is that if you're going to dye it one specific color, it should work. I wouldn't go dark to light without dying it white first. Just experiment. Rit dye is fine, don't believe a lot of the threads/blogs.

Comment

I've dyed uniform shirts before. Be prepared to use a ton of dye and to do it several times because a thicker fabric will really soak up the dye. I don't recommend it from a practical standpoint, but if you want to experiment, it could be really fun.

Comment

This jacket http://www.uniqlo.com/us/CPaGoods/itemcode=071233 in light grey looks like it would be light and neutral enough to dye.

I have not dyed anything for a long time, but I don't remember it being a particularly painful process.

Comment

Working...
          X