Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like they're trying to bring back the banded-collar shirt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like they're trying to bring back the banded-collar shirt...

Both Banana Republic and Bonobos (that I've seen) are introducing banded-collar shirts this year.

Maybe I'm just way off on this, but yeesh. I looked like a tool when I had a couple in high school in the 90's (the last time they had a go-round). Granted, it was high school, and everyone looked like a tool at some point. Still though.....really?

Terrible idea, at least by this lone fella's opinion....thoughts?
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

To me they are okay if they lean super casual workwear-ish, and not hippie flower child-ish. They are really just a woven henley and would work okay if worn in basically the same circumstances. I don't like them worn in lieu of a dress shirt.
    Ben

Comment

Sooooo.....A button down long sleeve t-shirt?

Comment

Originally posted by SaWuttae View Post
        Sooooo.....A button down long sleeve t-shirt?

Pretty much, yep.

I can see limited casual use....but it just feels really weird to me to wear a button-down shirt that has effectively no collar per se. Always possible I'm way off but I just don't get it. Not that I'm saying those who make it work are schmuckatellis or anything. Y'all do y'all, and such.
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

A linen one in the summer would be a good situation for a band collar, as warm weather, super casual alternative to a collared button-up. I don't mind them, and I have eve tried them on multiple times, but I just can't pull it off.

Comment

As [MENTION=8059]alpha[/MENTION]king says, a linen shirt often looks decent (and congruent from a style/function perspective). Similarly, I could also see doing a band collar for a popover or a SSBD (short-sleeve button down) for the summer/beach. I've seen them pulled off well, it just isn't my personal style...

Comment

Now I'm actually kind of wanting a natural colored or fisher/engineer striped, short-sleeved shirt or popover with banded collar for summer.

I don't love wearing collared shirts outside much in the summer because I feel like the collar would create a goofy tan line on my neck.
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                Now I'm actually kind of wanting a natural colored or fisher/engineer striped, short-sleeved shirt or popover with banded collar for summer.

I don't love wearing collared shirts outside much in the summer because I feel like the collar would create a goofy tan line on my neck.
                You can always carefully cut the collar off an old shirt you don't wear too often anymore. If you use nice, sharp scissor, it'll actually turn out quite nicely

Comment

I have seen some rare examples where someone pulled this look off really well, but for the most part these shirts have way too much of a tuxedo t-shirt thing going on to me, its makes me think you're trying to dress up, but you still want to come off as casual, so you landed somewhere in the middle with an awkward compromise.
                  Last edited by Me27; April 6, 2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

This is the kind of look I'm imagining would be okay with this shirt style.

Ben

Comment

Yeah, that works for me. In fact, I have one myself (long-sleeved), and that's pretty much how I wear it, with the sleeves rolled up part way.

Comment

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-lin...rt-183595.html

uniqlo too

Comment

Is this coincidence or these retailers have curriculum they follow?

Comment

Sticking with the Henley comparison, I think they kinda work as part of a farmer style. Although few could pull that off.

The band collar seems to be more in fashion in Europe, but also in a causal way.

Comment

Didn't everyone come out with banded collars a couple of summer ago? I didn't really ever like them, but the photos on this thread show me that they are not a bad casual option, and maybe one of the new button up shirts that I think works better as a short sleeve.

Comment

Working...
                              X