No announcement yet.

Affordable watches thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BenR, I think that you've hit the nail on the head. It makes sense that the watch would have been worn and returned. In fact, that's exactly what it looks like now that I've taken a look a the watch with that theory in mind.

C'est la vie. Now I can check out some of the watches in this thread. Does anyone have any recommendations for men with small wrists?

Comment

My automatic preference, and poor experiences with Chinese movements, lead me to Seiko watches first and a consideration for Orient second.

The Seiko Monster is darn near legendary in watch communities, though it's not terribly stylish. For me and my tiny wrists, my most common watches are two Seiko's - the SNZJ featured here a few months ago ( http://dappered.com/2011/06/in-perso...snzj59-review/ ) and this one:

Both are just fine on my teeny wrists.

Comment

Regarding the SNZJ, though, it's very annoying that the bezel dial isn't somehow locked. Because it's not, the inner bezel rotates just from the friction between the watch and my arm. I've mitigated the problem by wrapping some elastic thread around it, but it's a silly oversight.

Comment

I was wondering what you guys all thought about Fossil watches? I own one and it totally rocks so far. Their price range is from $65 to $175 so very affordable. What do you guys think about how the quality or fossil watches and how they work for hiking and biking and doing a lot of other sports like that or should I just get a g-shock for that?

Comment

I can only speak to Fossil's reputation among watch nerds (which I've picked up on from reading forums like WatchUSeek.)

Fossil's are considered mass market and cheap. The watches discussed above, like Seikos and Orients, are considered much higher quality but in the same price range. One noticeable feature is the automatic movement, a fantastic feature for that price.

Comment

Gents,

Great post and suggestions. I was fortunate to purchase a used Rolex Submariner after graduating college with my signing bonus, and since then never thought about buying another watch. That said, I rarely wore my watch to work because I didn't want my bosses to think that they were paying me too much or outshining them. I'm looking for a sleek dress watch. I wanted one that would hold some value and quality while not spending too much. I started out looking at Citizen Eco Drives, but their styles didn't catch my eye too much. I ran across skagens and like the slim profile and elegance, but after reading reviews, I've noticed many complaints on the crystal breaking. That took me to Orient. Was really considering this, but wasn't really sure if this is considered more of a cheap fashion watch or a quality build.

I've heard the Seiko are great (second to Citizen to some), but they look like Rollies to me, so not really what I am going for.

Looking to stay in the sub-$200 range so the Hamiltons are out. The sea-gulls are nice, but I question the long term quality.

Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger on a Orient Classic - there is a promo for 30% off plus an additional unknown watch, plus lanyard and t-shirt? I know I am asking a lot for the price, but I had to try. Maybe I should take another look at the Citizen Stilettos?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Comment

looking at the seamaster thread reminded me a lot of this, but this past fall i recreated this exact casio. it's one of my favorites in my collection, although it's a tad small for my wrist and my size kind of undermines it--i've been thinking about trading/selling it for a piece of around the same value.

not my picture, but the piece i put together is identical--casio edifice with a croc brown/red leather strap and a deployant clasp.

*edit*

noticed that the original doesn't actually have a deployant clasp, but i took up the liberty of putting one on there myself. i noticed that croc straps are fairly stiff in the first few weeks of use, and i hated how it would cause small ripples in the leather, so i put a matching brushed clasp on there to reduce any wear on the leather.

Comment

This has been in my Amazon cart for months but Im too cheap to actually get it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L1XO7S

Theres also a version with a dial I like more but a case I like less:

http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T521421.../dp/B000HDCF7G

Comment

Originally posted by k9nacl View Post
                    looking at the seamaster thread reminded me a lot of this, but this past fall i recreated this exact casio. it's one of my favorites in my collection, although it's a tad small for my wrist and my size kind of undermines it--i've been thinking about trading/selling it for a piece of around the same value.

not my picture, but the piece i put together is identical--casio edifice with a croc brown/red leather strap and a deployant clasp.

*edit*

noticed that the original doesn't actually have a deployant clasp, but i took up the liberty of putting one on there myself. i noticed that croc straps are fairly stiff in the first few weeks of use, and i hated how it would cause small ripples in the leather, so i put a matching brushed clasp on there to reduce any wear on the leather.

I know this is an old thread, however I am hoping you or someone else can help me identify the model number of this Edifice watch please? I love the combination of this watch and band. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Electraglide View Post
                      I know this is an old thread, however I am hoping you or someone else can help me identify the model number of this Edifice watch please? I love the combination of this watch and band. Many thanks.
                      The watch pictured is the Casio Edifice EF-503D. I have the black faced one myself. Great watch.

Comment

Originally posted by shinswu View Post
                        The watch pictured is the Casio Edifice EF-503D. I have the black faced one myself. Great watch.
                        Thanks for the fast response shinswu, very much appreciated! I managed to buy the watch online here in Dubai for the equivalent of $75... so cheap? I have ordered a brown croc leather strap online also. It was a little hard to match the band colour due to the light in the image on this thread.

Did you switch out your metal band for leather also?

I already have an EF-550D (White face) and an EF549D (black face), both with the standard metal bands, plus 4 x G Shocks of various types.

A leather band edifice seems like a great addition to my collection and when I came across this stunning image on the thread, I knew I had the answer!

Comment

Orients are good value.

This will be my next cheap watch:
                          Orient EZ09005W (around 300$ in my country)

Comment

Originally posted by Electraglide View Post
                            Here is my version... sorry for the terrible quality iphone photo:

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Does anyone have an opinion on the timex weekender vs the canvas strapped Seiko 5? Have seen some negative stuff about the weekender (too loud) but haven't read much about the canvas strapped seiko. Are there any other canvas strapped alternatives i should be looking at?

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Unisex-T...ords=weekender

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK807-A...S023N5XCYWR3N3
                              or
                              http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK809-A...06VNYXF0JDFWA9

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheRise View Post
                                Does anyone have an opinion on the timex weekender vs the canvas strapped Seiko 5? Have seen some negative stuff about the weekender (too loud) but haven't read much about the canvas strapped seiko. Are there any other canvas strapped alternatives i should be looking at?
                                The Seiko V is my every day watch and I LOVE it! Mine is the olive green colored one. It really is an exceptional value, with its combination of classic styling, good quality, and mechanical movement (the transparent case back to see the movement is so cool!). That said, when I received mine, it lost about a minute per day, and would definitely be stopped if I didn't wear it for 36hrs (ie took it off one night, didn't wear it the next day, and then put it on the following morning), but of course thats a given with automatics. Regarding the time loss, the movement can be regulated by a watchmaker if it gets too annoying, to around +/- 15s per day or better. One other note is that this watch is fantastic for those of us with smaller wrists, for whom the large watch trend looks (even more) comical.

Given how well-liked the Weekender is, I think its a great option. For me, I prefer the Seiko, however, since it is so much more of an interesting piece, and I don't mind resetting it fairly often. Anecdotally, I was actually stopped on the street by someone who recognized my Seiko - something that I NEVER thought would happen with a <$60 watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X