No announcement yet.

J. Crew Lapels Continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that business causal is probably the hardest to do well.

back to truly wide lapels. Mandela pulled them off. It is still a bold look and one needs the build for it.

Comment

Slim lapels are actually pretty nice when you wear a 36S jacket. I would love to buy a Spier and Mackay suit, but 3.5" lapels would look ridiculous on me.

Comment

Originally posted by mistabutters View Post
        Slim lapels are actually pretty nice when you wear a 36S jacket. I would love to buy a Spier and Mackay suit, but 3.5" lapels would look ridiculous on me.
        Have you tried a jacket with wider lapels? I wear a 36s and thought the same thing until I saw a picture of myself wearing my ludlow sport coat. The slim lapels don't look as good as I once thought. I recently got a S&M sport coat and the wider lapels look so much better because everything is much more proportionate. Also, S&M scales the lapel width based on the jacket size so they're only 3 inches on a size 36.

Comment

Trust me, S&M suits won't look bad on you at all. I'm on the smaller side of things at 5'7" and 130lbs and it doesn't look weird on me at all. Plus S&M actually adjust the lapel widths slightly based on jacket size. They mentioned it in the old and now closed thread here. So on the 36s the lapels are actually 3.25".

Comment

I have tried wider lapels. I have suits with 2.5", 2.75", and 3.125" lapels. My personal favorite is the 2.75" lapels, but the other two are more than acceptable. I didn't know they scale the lapel. In that case, it would be fine. If they were 3.5", they would not look good. I've tried on a few jackets with 3.5" lapels, and it's way over the halfway point to the shoulder.

Comment

Same thing here. 36S, my slim lapel Ludlows look better than my S&M and SS.

Comment

I'm 5'9", 140 lbs, and wear a 36R. The wider S&M lapels look fine. Ludlow lapels also look fine. Just different. The wider lapels do have a bit more of a luxurious, high-end, #menswear feel to them since jackets with narrow lapels (and frequently chopped bodies) are so common in mall brands and department store brands that can vary quite widely in terms of styling and quality.
                Ben

Comment

I thought S&M scales lapels. I also consider 3.5 pretty standard width. Since ties vary between 1"-4". 3" is pretty much the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                    I thought S&M scales lapels.
                    Yes, Rick form S&M has confirmed this in the past. Any decent producer of suits/sport coats should do this, and not have the same width lapels on their smallest and largest jacket sizes. They need to change in proportion to the rest of the jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by Spex View Post
                      Any decent producer of suits/sport coats should do this, and not have the same width lapels on their smallest and largest jacket sizes.
                      Maybe should but don't. To my knowledge very few manufacturers do this. SuSu apparently doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                        Have you tried a jacket with wider lapels? I wear a 36s and thought the same thing until I saw a picture of myself wearing my ludlow sport coat. The slim lapels don't look as good as I once thought. I recently got a S&M sport coat and the wider lapels look so much better because everything is much more proportionate
                        This is my experience as well. I think the narrow lapels just look a little outdated at this point, even on smaller sizes. They don't look bad, but larger lapels look both more "timeless" and more fashionable at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                          This is my experience as well. I think the narrow lapels just look a little outdated at this point, even on smaller sizes. They don't look bad, but larger lapels look both more "timeless" and more fashionable at this point.
                          The marketing is working.

Comment

The marketing is working.
                            The marketing convinced you that you look better with slim lapels, too.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                              The marketing convinced you that you look better with slim lapels, too.
                              It was a joke. Having said that, I really do try to balance the lapel with my shoulders. At 36S, 2.5" doesn't look all that slim and works. I would never go smaller though.

Comment

Having said that, I really do try to balance the lapel with my shoulders.
                                I understand the joking nature of your comment, but more seriously, there's really not that much difference in shoulder width between a 36 and, say, a 40. In Suit Supply's Hudson or Spier and Mackay's Contemporary, the 36 has shoulders 17.3 inches wide, and the 40 has shoulders 18.1 inches wide, so less than an inch difference, and more importantly less than 5% relative difference. So if 3.5" lapels on a 40 are timeless, then the timeless lapels on a 36 should be 3.35". Conversely, if 2.5" lapels are flattering on your frame, then 2.6" lapels should be flattering on someone with a size 40 frame.

This idea that narrow lapels are flattering to small sizes is not based on anything logical. Lapel sizes in general are not based on anything logical, just fashion trends. But in particular this idea that small frames need 2.5" lapels to look balanced is just kind of silly, especially when juxtaposed with the common claim that 3.5" is timeless for the average guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X