Clothes for big guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clothes for big guys

I'm not a huge guy, but big. (6'4". 250)

I like the stuff on dappered, but feel like it's almost always slim.... And I'm just not slim. Where do the other Clydesdale guys shop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey I'm also 6'4 250. Agree that sometimes he site can obsess on "slim" and "tailored" but gotta say reading this site for a long time does have me wearing clothes with a trimmer fit and looking better.

I wear lots of tall shirts from Lands End, sweaters from BR. I mostly wear BB dress shirts to work but am starting to switch over to custom shirts from Proper Cloth as I can budget to switch over to them.

Lucky to have Rothmans men's store here in NYC. They have a few suits and jackets but want to try Suit Supply too

I'd be interested to hear your go tos too.

Comment

6'4", 300 lb for me (I'm very broad shouldered and fairly broad hipped, so I carry it ok, but could absolutely stand to lose 40-50 pounds). L.L. Bean is one of my favorites for shirts, although it definitely trends more casual. Their cuts tend to run pretty generous, so for letter sizing (L, X, XL, etc.) I've found my normal size in their slightly fitted cut is just about perfect for me.

For casual pants (jeans, chinos), I'm all about Old Navy. Their quality control often seems to be lacking (two different pairs of pants with the same size will fit differently), so it's often a little trial and error to get the right fit, but they still have larger sizes without having to settled for a relaxed fit, and the price is right.

For dressier pants, I'm a fan of Lands End year rounders. Although, my work has gotten more casual over the years, and I find myself in chinos or jeans most of the times these days.

Still really haven't found my preferred suit source.
      Last edited by Deke; March 28, 2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I am 6'7" 250 lbs. I get a lot of my casual shirts and sweaters from J Crew (XLT fits me really well), for dress shirts I get propercloth (expensive but worth it to me) or CT/TM Lewin. For dress trousers I get J Crew, Lands End, or Combatant Gentlemen (when the budget is tight). Chinos I have been buying from GAP. Shorts from J Crew or Old Navy (depending on how much i want to spend). Jeans from Levis or Gustins. Suits and Jackets primarily from SuitSupply, sometimes J Crew (46L Crosby fit), and sometimes custom. And I am working on dropping another 10 lbs over the next few months.

Comment

6'0" 245 lbs but I have a long torso/arms (36" sleeve). Lands End and Spier and Mackay are my go to sources for most of my work clothes. The bundle orders on Spier MTM really are killer. Old Navy for more casual chinos. I only have two pairs of jeans, one Gustin and one Bonobos. Having short legs really helps in pant options.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.
            Ive been buying Brooks Brothers shirts, and getting khakis from Eddie Bauer, also casual button down shirts there too.

Comment

I'm not as big as you guys but big enough and have long arms that make shirt sizing difficult sometimes. I've found that buying from places with good return/exchange policies is helpful. I'll usually buy multiple sizes and fits then send back the one(s) I don't want to keep. It could help you try out some slimmer fit items you would normally avoid.

Comment

Just bit off a big new clothes project. Went to Suit Supply over lunch to get a suit - need it for my brother's wedding in May.

They don't have a huge selection for 48 or 50L but they seemed accommodating and didn't make me feel like Godzilla huge as can happen at J Crew and other botique-y chain stores. My suit comes back in 4-6 weeks. I meant to ask if they make ties in talls, but I forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by gochrisgo View Post
                  Just bit off a big new clothes project. Went to Suit Supply over lunch to get a suit - need it for my brother's wedding in May.

They don't have a huge selection for 48 or 50L but they seemed accommodating and didn't make me feel like Godzilla huge as can happen at J Crew and other botique-y chain stores. My suit comes back in 4-6 weeks. I meant to ask if they make ties in talls, but I forgot.
                  I don't believe they make tall sized ties, but I own a few of their regular ones and they still work alright for me. I would wait around for the outlet though and you get get them for $20-25 instead of the normal $50-80

Comment

How did your suit come out? I went to A SS store and got the design your own suit also. Waiting my 4-5 weeks also for the suit.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Comfort1st View Post
                      How did your suit come out? I went to A SS store and got the design your own suit also. Waiting my 4-5 weeks also for the suit.

I appreciate this thread, because I'm also a bigger guy and now that I've moved into a pretty professional space, I want to begin investing in quality that fits and suits me right.

I've poked around enough to know that SS is a decent spot to find a suit. Curious as to the price range though.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Comfort1st View Post

Hey unfortunately my Suit Supply experience didn't work out. I am a bigger taller guy at the very edge of the sizes they make. I told them that I knew I would get my picture taken a lot at this family wedding and wanted a suit that buttoned properly and didn't have a large gape when the bottom button was left unbuttoned.

I was told on my first two trips to the store that they could accommodate for that. On my third trip to try it on after they made more fixes, they agreed with me that the level of fit that I wanted isn't possible on their off he rack system and I would need to go full custom.

They were nice about a full refund and asked if i wanted to make an appointment with their true custom department. I think when I am ready to go full custom, since I live in NYC I would go with a custom tailor and not Susu.

My sense is that Susu NYC is a victim of their own success. They had guys storming the place for stunts for wedding and banking intern season. For most standard size people it is probably a good solution but it doesn't work for me.

I think they are hiring quickly to meet demand and the people who work there don't understand entirely the fits and their approach. I should have known really that this wouldn't work. I am glad I didn't walk out of there with something I didn't like at least.

Comment

Hey unfortunately my Suit Supply experience didn't work out. I am a bigger taller guy at the very edge of the sizes they make. I told them that I knew I would get my picture taken a lot at this family wedding and wanted a suit that buttoned properly and didn't have a large gape when the bottom button was left unbuttoned.

I was told on my first two trips to the store that they could accommodate for that. On my third trip to try it on after they made more fixes, they agreed with me that the level of fit that I wanted isn't possible on their off he rack system and I would need to go full custom.

They were nice about a full refund and asked if i wanted to make an appointment with their true custom department. I think when I am ready to go full custom, since I live in NYC I would go with a custom tailor and not Susu.

My sense is that Susu NYC is a victim of their own success. They had guys storming the place for stunts for wedding and banking intern season. For most standard size people it is probably a good solution but it doesn't work for me.

I think they are hiring quickly to meet demand and the people who work there don't understand entirely the fits and their approach. I should have known really that this wouldn't work. I am glad I didn't walk out of there with something I didn't like at least.
                          That is unfortunate. My suit came in this past Thursday and I went in and tried it on. It fit fairly well. As expected we had to take in the waist and drop the crotch and I think they may be doing something to the jacket also. I should be able to pick it up Thursday. I am happy with the way it came out. However, we took too much in on the legs of the pant la for my big calves. It felt fine when standing and not moving (as your supposed to when tailoring) but I question how comfortable it is when I have to flex my knee and calf significantly when walking up stairs or dancing at a wedding. Lol But I don' think it is bad enough for me to do a full return.

To give you an idea of my measurements. I am 35-36 waist with big thighs. They had to get a 54 pants and measure in from there so that it could fit my thighs. ( I only wear pleated dress pants from one company off the rack) Jacket was a 46R at SS even though in regular off the rack suit jackets I am a 42-43L. (My chest is 42.5). I am happy with the look and what appears to be quality. If the suit lasts, and/or run into some money, I may just get a 2nd pair of pants if I find the calf area too unbearable.

Comment

That's unfortunate. My suit came in this past Thursday and fit fairly well. I have to get alterations done and so the final fitting will be on Tuesday coming hopefully. The big issue is that we took in too much in the legs of the pants. My calves have barely enough room. It was fine standing for tailoring. But walking up steps or dancing at a wedding will be hard. Or possibly just walking.

My suit jacket fit fine. I am a 42-43L in off the rack suits at my chest is 42.5. At suit supply though they put me in a 46R. My waist is a 35-36 but due to my thighs they has to put me get a size 54 pants and then work their magic.

I would have to have to return the suit but we will see how much room is left after they take in the waist and drop the seat. Also there will be another representative their to give an opinion on the calves. I would hate to wait another 4 weeks for a suit. More importantly might need it before then. Maybe I can just by second pair of pants in the future

Comment

Working...
                            X