Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zack Malibu
    replied

I used to have a ton of them, but have been gradually phasing them out. I do have some athletic/slim fit ones that I wear like a red Avengers logo one, or my Saved By The Bell logo ringer T. I wear more solids than anything now, but nothing wrong with a graphic T for a laid back day, or under a button down for a casual night out.

Leave a comment:

• Transient
    replied

I've moved away from them in favor of the flexibility of plain tees. I just find myself passing over them when getting dressed and, as such, I'm clearing them out of my closet.

Leave a comment:

• bassopotamus
    replied

Oh, and I just ordered one of these...

http://www.enduranceconspiracy.com/shop/product/308/79/96.html

I have my reasons

Leave a comment:

• bassopotamus
    replied

If it is something at least a little personal to you, or at least interesting, why not? I wear Ts pretty often (suits days I teach, jeans and a T days I don't). Most of the time it is a plain LL Bean or Lands end, but I have some Ts with graphics, and feel no shame in wearing them. My favorite has an illustration of a polaroid camera, although my Mork and Mindy T shirt is pretty sweet too. I rotate a couple band shirts too (Motorhead, a couple bands of friends).

Leave a comment:

• VespaMatt
    replied

I have a bunch of Woot tees that I hardly wear, but keep them around for some of the casual things that people have discussed here. They used to be $10 shipped and are printed on American Apparel, which for $10 are generally good quality. I see now the price has gone up to $12 shipped, not that I've seen a design in a long time that I'd really consider. The Woot shirts usually all fell under the 'funny' graphic dept, though some I have are borderline artsy. I mostly reserve them for manual labor or sitting around the house when I'm doing laundry.

I'm not willing to spend more than that on a graphic t-shirt.

If I were trying to integrate them into a look, I like a tastefully designed tee layered under an open outerwear jacket or under a button up, casual shirt/shacket. I just feel in most cases I am trying to dress better than that, more mature.

@Jose, I can't really agree with you on a plain tee not being stylish. I love the look of a well fitted, classic solid color t-shirt with jeans or a good pair of rugged khakis (think Alpha Khakis). Its iconic in the vein of Steve McQueen or James Dean. Although, per another post I made recently, I am leaning towards finding some good fitting henleys to fill in most scenarios where I would normally wear a plain t-shirt, since I find the buttons do add what you might think is lacking.

Leave a comment:

• Miraj
    replied

I'll wear a tailored sport coat, graphic t-shirt, Chucks, and 514s on days when I want to advertise that I identify with nerd/geek culture.

Leave a comment:

• pitseleh
    replied

Yeah, I think they're alright. You know - provided you're in the right circumstances. I used to have a bunch of silly graphic tees I just kind of accrued over the years, but I've since gotten rid of the vast majority of them. With that said, I still kept about 8-10 ones I couldn't bear getting rid of, either because I'd had them forever and it seemed kind of sad to throw them out simply because they were "childish", or because a part of me still genuinely likes them. In terms of fashion, I think plenty of people can wear them in ways that are very appealing, even if I don't personally think they're the best look for me anymore. I used to have an art history professor who wore really nice, well-fitting suits to class every day, but on exam days he'd usually come with something more casual, and it'd frequently be a pair of slim dark jeans, some nice boots, and slim fitting graphic tee under a slim fitting hoody under a slim sport coat. I think as far as the whole "urban chic" thing, it's a pretty slick look for those who can pull it off. I'm a little jealous that I can't! With me it just seems sort of contrived.

But you more or less captured the points at which I wear graphic tees. I've found they make great shirts to sleep in, or lounge around in. I also wear them when I'm cleaning around the house, moving, or when it's super hot out and I just need to run to the store. I never really got down with band tees, but I think those are fine, too. I'd also say that a lot of the ones I kept (most, even) are tapestries of color. One of the things that I've really lamented is how... uncolorful menswear is without looking garish. I think there's something visually engaging about a graphic tee full of a bunch of different colors. It's like street art, but on a shirt! I like it in the same way I think Indian formal clothing looks nice. It's just... pretty? I don't think that's a bad thing.

Leave a comment:

• grasking
    replied

I was thinking about getting this tee and hanging it on a wall if I didn't wear it.

http://www.ovmlove.com/collections/shirts/products/suru-x-james-jean-bone-tee#&panel1-1

Leave a comment:

• thmage
    replied

@pdx_nate: I didn't really mean local businesses, that's totally fine. I more meant things like Hollister or American Eagle where the entire design of the clothing is to advertise buying more of the clothing. For example:

I mean, if someone actually wanted to advertise Hollister and bring them more customers, that's fine. But I doubt many people wear those shirts for that reason.

Leave a comment:

• Thekillabeejc
    replied

@pdx_nate, I don't want to speak for thmage, but I'm assuming he meant a business you have no connection too. Although I doubt he knows Jack Johnson personally, he obviously respects what he does and thinks he deserves the recognition.

Leave a comment:

• mixto
    replied

Used to have a bunch of them (souvenir t-shirt, free tech t-shirts at conventions, and college t-shirt) and would wear the first and last when doing errands. Now, most of them are in a bag (should just donate them) and use the rest as chores/lounge/pj t-shirt...basically at home when there is no guest.

Leave a comment:

• jose_jackson
    replied

I have a thrifted country club tee for which I make an exception. It's blue with only white print. Preppy (in that's it's a country club) but worn a little. Otherwise I try to leave it to schools (the college you went to, also preppy) or sports teams.

I'm gonna flip this around, though, and go ahead and say that plain tees also bother me a little. It's just so, idk, military grade to me. While, yeah, it's probably better than the humor tee or the "5k for charity" tee, I see tons of guys who constantly just wear blue, black, or whatever color crewneck tees from ON. In this way, I think a classic tee with a graphic or a more inventive tee might be better. Personally, I'd go with stripes or at least a more bold color.

Leave a comment:

• MattC
    replied

GQ actually just did a post regarding these:

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201205/best-summer-t-shirts-men#slide=7

I like #1 & #3, but they're far too expensive. I'd wear #7 if I was a fan of the band, but as it turns out I haven't heard of them.

Leave a comment:

• pdx_nate
    replied

@thmage. I need some clarification. Is Jack Johnson not a business? What is the difference between me advertising my favorite local business with a T-shirt if it means a few more people eat, drink, shop there and someone wearing a Jack Johnson shirt (or any other artist) and getting a few more people interested in Jack's music?

Leave a comment:

• Thekillabeejc
    replied

I agree with Chareth, I still wear Band Tees and Sports Tees fairly often, but only in extremely casual situations as mentioned. I think being a big fan of a certain musical group or sports team will make you want to wear them more. It's also an age thing. It's a lot different seeing a 50 year old man wearing a Crosby Stills and Nash 2010 Tour Tee compared to an early 20-something wearing something with a better design.

I'm not really a fan of graphic tees in general though, I think there is more leeway when the shirt has meaning to the wearer.

@ChrisW, I'm surprised how popular Joy Division is becoming. I don't know if it's the 80's revisit in Indie music these days or what, but I keep seeing people with the Unknown Pleasures album cover shirt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X