Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I tried Meermin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    So, I tried Meermin

    I have to say, it's definitely not worth the risk to buy firsthand if you're not familiar with their sizing. I'm out an additional $50 shipping them back to Spain for the exchange.

    At $175 (+$35 shipping, total of $210), they don't seem like a bad deal. I'll update after I've gotten my exchange with how I feel about the shoes overall, but at first glance, they look great. I picked up these suede double monk straps and I did like the overall look of the shoe. The suede was a dark, chocolate brown (darker than their website). The nap was very even across and the only miscoloring was where the the suede was touching the side of the box. The dainite-like sole looked good and sewn on well. The only issue I while looking at it was that there was some stitching coming undone where the shoe's lining was connected to the upper on the heel. I think it might've gotten snagged on the makeshift shoe-tree that the shoe came filled with (a plastic stick and paper stuffing).

    I ordered the 10UK (11US) as I was informed on another menswear board that the Hiro last that it's built on is on the wider side and that it should fit similar to my 11E Allen Edmonds McAllisters on the 65 Last. This could not be further from the truth. I should have taken photos, but holding the two shoes together would show that the 10UK Hiro Last was not only thinner than the 11E 65 last, but also shorter (though I am aware the 65 does run long). I am exchanging for a 10.5UK and if it doesn't work, that'll be my final attempt at trying to buy through Meermin.

    #2
    Thanks for the information/background. Would love to see some photos of the shoes if you get a chance. That's too bad about having to do all of the exchanges though.

    Comment


      #3
      I don't know why people say the Hiro is a wide last. I have a standard D width foot and my one pair of Meermin's on the Hiro last are on the tight side. This is even on a blucher style style shoe which should be more forgiving than a closed lacing oxford but it is not.

      Good luck on your exchange and I hope it works out. I am debating a pair of Carmina's on the Simpson last which is a narrower last. They are in the outlet and in my size but I don't see how just sizing up 0.5UK helps?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
        I don't know why people say the Hiro is a wide last. I have a standard D width foot and my one pair of Meermin's on the Hiro last are on the tight side. This is even on a blucher style style shoe which should be more forgiving than a closed lacing oxford but it is not.

        Good luck on your exchange and I hope it works out. I am debating a pair of Carmina's on the Simpson last which is a narrower last. They are in the outlet and in my size but I don't see how just sizing up 0.5UK helps?
        I think you might have more like trying on Carmina, as they are sold at a few outlets in the USA. I've been to the one in Philadelphia (ToBox). There are also two in New York, one in San Francisco, and one in San Diego. Plus, bizarrely, one in Indianapolis. Also one each in Montreal and Toronto. Here's the full list, with addresses: http://www.carminashoemaker.us/store...293.1489608004.

        I've also read that the customer service at Skoaktiebolaget can offer excellent sizing advice.

        I don't own any Carmina but I'm doing my research!

        In general, I do think that it's a real problem trying to estimate one's size in European shoes. I had a hell of a time getting sized properly when I went into Loake's shop on Jermyn Street last summer.

        Comment


          #5
          Sorry about your sizing experience with Meermin. I wish there existed some sort of sizing aggregator app/site for comparison between AE sizes and various european brands. Sizing thread is ok but flipping through literally thousands of posts is rather inefficient.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
            I have to say, it's definitely not worth the risk to buy firsthand if you're not familiar with their sizing. I'm out an additional $50 shipping them back to Spain for the exchange.

            At $175 (+$35 shipping, total of $210), they don't seem like a bad deal. I'll update after I've gotten my exchange with how I feel about the shoes overall, but at first glance, they look great. I picked up these suede double monk straps and I did like the overall look of the shoe. The suede was a dark, chocolate brown (darker than their website). The nap was very even across and the only miscoloring was where the the suede was touching the side of the box. The dainite-like sole looked good and sewn on well. The only issue I while looking at it was that there was some stitching coming undone where the shoe's lining was connected to the upper on the heel. I think it might've gotten snagged on the makeshift shoe-tree that the shoe came filled with (a plastic stick and paper stuffing).

            I ordered the 10UK (11US) as I was informed on another menswear board that the Hiro last that it's built on is on the wider side and that it should fit similar to my 11E Allen Edmonds McAllisters on the 65 Last. This could not be further from the truth. I should have taken photos, but holding the two shoes together would show that the 10UK Hiro Last was not only thinner than the 11E 65 last, but also shorter (though I am aware the 65 does run long). I am exchanging for a 10.5UK and if it doesn't work, that'll be my final attempt at trying to buy through Meermin.
            Sorry to hear that did not work out, hopefully the new size does. I have been curious about meermin for a while. You mentioned that the 10UK Meermin was shorter than the 11E AE. How much shorter? If it had been the same width as the AE do you think the length would have worked for you?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
              I don't know why people say the Hiro is a wide last. I have a standard D width foot and my one pair of Meermin's on the Hiro last are on the tight side. This is even on a blucher style style shoe which should be more forgiving than a closed lacing oxford but it is not.

              Good luck on your exchange and I hope it works out. I am debating a pair of Carmina's on the Simpson last which is a narrower last. They are in the outlet and in my size but I don't see how just sizing up 0.5UK helps?
              Agree with you on the width of the Hiro, seems pretty standard to me. As for the length, I actually get some heel slip sizing 1 down from AE 5-last, but I think that is due to double leather sole + cordovan being harder to break in.

              As for the Simpson, the sizing 1/2 up advice theoretically results in the right width while sacrificing a bit on length. I sized up 1/2 for my oxfords on the Simpson last and the width is fine but I get a bit of heel slip. I think I could probably go TTS in the Simpson and be okay (I'm in between a C and D width but closer to D). I've heard the same size up 1/2 advice for the 348 C&J last which is also narrow and long, but I went TTS with those and they fit me great.

              Bottom line is, for any shoes, the best thing you can do is try them out in person. Carmina's return / exchange policy isn't that bad (I think it's $35 return shipping), so you could just order both sizes and return the one that fits worse. I know that people like to compare european sizing to the AE 5-last, but since that's already a weird last it makes accurate comparisons a more difficult.
              Instagram: WoofOrWeft

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Me27 View Post
                Sorry to hear that did not work out, hopefully the new size does. I have been curious about meermin for a while. You mentioned that the 10UK Meermin was shorter than the 11E AE. How much shorter? If it had been the same width as the AE do you think the length would have worked for you?
                It wasn't significantly shorter, but it was noticeable. If the shoe were wider, it probably would've worked fine.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
                  It wasn't significantly shorter, but it was noticeable. If the shoe were wider, it probably would've worked fine.
                  Thanks!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                    Sorry about your sizing experience with Meermin. I wish there existed some sort of sizing aggregator app/site for comparison between AE sizes and various european brands. Sizing thread is ok but flipping through literally thousands of posts is rather inefficient.
                    Some sites have simple number conversions like Loake and Shoepassion (both like Meermin use UK sizing) but I think their conversions vary. It would be nice if they had a print out sheet like AE. That isn't perfect, but it is pretty good.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                      Sorry about your sizing experience with Meermin. I wish there existed some sort of sizing aggregator app/site for comparison between AE sizes and various european brands. Sizing thread is ok but flipping through literally thousands of posts is rather inefficient.
                      This ^^ Just might be a million dollar idea! If only there was some kind soul (no pun intended) out there who would tackle this. Think of it. Online. See a shoe you like. Whip out the app and confirm sizing. Done!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                        This ^^ Just might be a million dollar idea! If only there was some kind soul (no pun intended) out there who would tackle this. Think of it. Online. See a shoe you like. Whip out the app and confirm sizing. Done!
                        A site like that already exists but I can't currently remember the name. I joined last years but it was in such an early stage that there were not a lot of comparisons available yet. If I remember I'll post it.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by winghus View Post
                          A site like that already exists but I can't currently remember the name. I joined last years but it was in such an early stage that there were not a lot of comparisons available yet. If I remember I'll post it.
                          I know what site you're referring to, but when it comes to dress shoes, it's not a very good system since different lasts can change the fit so much.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I sized down half a size (8.5uk from 9d/e) for my Ron last Meermin compared to AE 65. I want to venture into Carmina towards Christmas. I have a trip planned for San Diego in the fall so I plan on trying on in person. Online shoe shopping with no free/low cost returns is a big gamble.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Ok, I'll add my Meermin experiences here. I have 2 pair of Meermins.

                              First my feet. I am 11.5D on a Brannock on one foot 11.25 c/d on the other. I wear 11.5D on most Allen Edmonds lasts including 65, BUT 11E on 65 actually works a little better due to my higher than normal instep. I get decent v-gap on 11.5D but almost closed on 11E. Most loafers that fit correctly are too tight across the top of my foot unless it is one with a shorter vamp that doesn't come as far up towards the ankle.

                              My Meermins are:
                              1) A dark blue suede wholecut on the Ama last. Price including shipping ended uo being $105 USD. It is supposed to be a wide last, it is, but it's quite nice looking IMO, a nice almond shape. Due to at the time thinking my feet were a 12.5 US (which they were before I lost 100lbs) I ordered these from the Meermin guy on ebay at 11.5UK and they were a closeout, not a second. They are at least a half size long, if not a full size. I can wear them now that they are broken in though and they are quite comfortable. There was some heel slip at first, it is now gone completely. The v-gap was completely closed at first and now that it is broken in, I can tell I could probably go down a full size and it would be perfect. IMO Ama would work for a D or E width foot at one full size below Brannock.

                              2) Oak cap-toe oxford on Elton last. Again I bought these from the ebay guy. Total price with shipping was $96USD. These are seconds but the defect is so tiny I couldn't care less about it, a small nick in the leather in an area that is not normally visible and is hard to actually see beyond 2 foot distance. Due to all the talk about Elton being narrow, I ordered an 11UK. This is as small as I would be able to go with Elton. On 2 wears, it is a hair tight in the forefoot but not enough that it won't break in and be fine. It is a tad long but no way I could go 10.5UK. The crease is right behind the cap-toe so I think I will be fine after a few more wears. My McAllisters on the leather sole went from good to great on about the 9th wear. The Dainite ones took longer.

                              I had intended to order a chocolate suede 10.5 Hiro chukka from Meermin as my next shoe but if it's actually a narrow last, I will probably go 11UK. I just don't see spending more for a suede chukka until I know whether or not I really like the style. The only chukkas I have are CDBs and I'm not really that fond of them. IMO Meermin shoes are as good a quailty build as AE, especially recent AEs I have purchased. My older AE shoes definitely have better leather quality than my more recent ones and the QC stories people tell are endless. No amount of helpful customer service makes up for having to send $400USD shoes back several times to get a good pair.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X