Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gustin Waxed Canvas Field Jacket Finally Arrived

So,

Mine arrived last week, and now that I've worn it a few times, I'll give my initial impressions.

1) Fabric: The canvas is fairly stiff, but is slightly lighter than I was expecting. It feels about the same weight as my vintage Levi's trucker, and living in Texas, I'll call this a feature and not a bug. In more temperate areas, this would be a spring/fall piece, but I'll get a lot of winter use out of it here.

The wax coating gives the fabric quite a lot of character and depth that I assume will get better as the jacket breaks in. Several people have mistaken it for suede and were surprised to learn it was canvas. I had debated between the lighter brown and the dark oak and went with the lighter option. Having seen the material in person now, I bet the depth on the darker jacket is incredible.

2) Construction: the zipper, button and snap hardware are substantial and the jacket feels generally well put together. There were a few stray threads, but nothing glaring. The canvas does feel like it will need a break-in period, but it should soften up and really conform to my body with wear. I'm pleased with the way this is put together, with nice reinforced seams on stress points and clean finishing inside. Pockets are deep, but I do wish the lower pockets had a "hand warmer" slot. It was cool and drizzly today and water beaded on the waxed surface, but having grown up with Barbour coats (as work wear!), it is not as heavily waxed as those.

3) Fit: for me, the fit is very good. I was worried about fit, particularly in the shoulders, because the measurement in the fit guide just seemed wonky. Gustin customer service said that based on my sportcoat size (36s or 38s depending on brand), that I should go with the small. The shoulder seams are spot on my natural shoulder, the chest fit is excellent, with room for light layers, but generally fitted and close to my body through the waist.

Arm holes are high and quite narrow and the sleeve pitch seems to favor a more upright stance. Any more narrow on the armoholes, really, and I would have had issues. This is the one place where I see fit being a potential issue for many as the jacket is just a touch tight for me in the arm holes. Movement is not restricted, and I suspect as the fabric softens up, this won't be even noticeable. The best way I know how to describe it is that is similar to the very slight tightness you might find in the thighs or seat of a new pair of raw denim that will wear into a great fit.

That said, I'm not a burly guy (5'7" and 145 or so). I'm a bit barrel chested, and do lift, so I have some definition, but no one is going to call me ripped. Bigger guys may have issues with the sleeves.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase and look forward to breaking the jacket in. Stylistically, I think it can be a pretty versatile piece and this will see a lot of use in 40-60 temps and it is substantial enough for me to use it working outside if I need to.
    Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
    Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Could you post some fit pictures of the jacket?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the review. I'm waiting on one in olive green that's supposed to be shipping around the end of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
        Thanks for the review. I'm waiting on one in olive green that's supposed to be shipping around the end of the month.
        Have you received an update on production or est. shipping for your jacket? Sounds like we backed the same campaign but I haven't seen a status update under orders in some time.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerpenguin View Post
          Have you received an update on production or est. shipping for your jacket? Sounds like we backed the same campaign but I haven't seen a status update under orders in some time.
          There haven't been many. There was an update around the beginning of Feb. stating that the jackets were entering early stages of sewing. A few day ago there was a new update saying they were in the late stages of sewing and would start shipping at the end of the month with the anticipation that all orders would be shipped by the beginning of April. For whatever reason, I don't see the update any more when I look at my order status.

Comment

I got mine last week as well. I'm not super-impressed. As usual, it shipped more than a full month late. The stitching in general seems kind of sloppy. Part of it might just be the material, because they wax "bloomed" around the stitching in some places, but the stitching itself also isn't as smooth as I'd expect, at least in certain spots. There were also cutoff threads all over the inside of the jacket, which is annoying. The Harrington I ordered also had some cutoff threads, but not to this extent. The biggest issue is that there's a clear defect where the collar was attached. The fabric was obviously not flat enough when it was sewn, so it folded over by maybe an eighth of an inch. The fold is on the front around the collarbone area, though, so it's pretty obvious. I've asked for a refund.

I wonder if they used a new facility for sewing these. The status updates indicated that they had some sort of trouble sewing these, but they have shipped plenty of waxed cotton garments in the past, so unless they're using a different facility (or had a ton of worker turnover), I don't know why they'd have had unexpected difficulties.

I'll also echo BillN's comment about the fabric. It's lighter than expected, which isn't a problem, just a surprise. It's a moderate-weight jacket, but a lot of the weight seems to be the wax itself. The fabric feels distinctly on the lighter end of the canvas spectrum.

Comment

[MENTION=14375]dangerpenguin[/MENTION] FYI, just got this update: Production status: 3/14 update: Jackets are slated to start shipping out next week and will ship though the end of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
                [MENTION=14375]dangerpenguin[/MENTION] FYI, just got this update: Production status: 3/14 update: Jackets are slated to start shipping out next week and will ship though the end of the month.
                Thanks for the follow up! Excited to get mine -- dpark's comments have me nervous on quality but sounds like the weight will be perfect for spring/fall in Texas.

Comment

Quick and dirty here.

Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                  Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                  --Jason Isbell

Comment

I got the green one and it's really nice. I don't see any problems with the stitching or threads, but I'm no expert. Fit is great, which I appreciate as their customer service emailed me back and forth about the measurements. (Medium on me 5'9" 170 38R/S) Material is pretty stiff, but I assume it will break in some. I like it, and Mrs. carlito likes it too. I'll try photos if I get a chance.

ETA - Oh, and I'll second the wish for an accessible hand-warmer slot in the pockets. That seems like an oversight to me. Maybe they were just trying to keep the fit trim by not having that extra layer, but I definitely miss it in the cold.

Comment

The material really has character. I'm getting compliments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good! I just received the tracking number for mine today. Looking forward to it! I'm also glad it wasn't delayed as some past runs seem to have been.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one of the standard navy canvas field jackets from the first run, and I like it well enough. The canvas and zipper were strikingly substantial imo; as such, I've only buttoned it up once (mistake, that was a pain to get off). I have to agree on the armholes: I cross-country ski (think the swimmer build), and wouldn't consider myself burly by any means, but my large(!) is a pretty tight fit on 6'2" 175-ish. Given that I can't really layer under it, I've been defaulting to my Gap field coat which has a somewhat more forgiving fit, but I think it will get a lot of play going into summer.
                          Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

Mine has arrived!!

Size M on 5'10"/190lb

I'm happy with it. The fit is excellent. As others have mentioned, the armholes are high, but not uncomfortably so. Construction looks solid. Seams look good. The only mild concern I have is possible wax transfer while it breaks in. The canvas is definitely saturated. This thing should shed water like a greased duck. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

A coworker showed up in one at work the other day. His definitely looked nicer than mine. His was green, FWIW. Mine was the brown.

Comment

Working...
                              X