Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is suit over kill in this work environment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is suit over kill in this work environment?

I work at corp HQ one of the largest companies in the US, however, it is business casual, but its not very strict. So, we have a mix.

We have the IT guys wearing jeans and borderline T-shirt type clothes.

Outside of IT, 80% of guys wear button downs and slacks or jeans. Like probably brooks brothers type of stuff.

we have a few guys that are wll put together wearing blazers and slacks/jeans. They are clearly into fashion and tailor everything.

I will see execs and an occassional guy that i do not know in a suit.

Im one of the younger guys. Ive been wearing slacks and button downs that are tailored 3 days a week. Ill throw on a blazer the other day or two. It has definetely helped my career dressing well.

I love suits, but never really have a chance to wear them outside of work. Im debating if wearing a napoli suit supply would stand out as awkward/douchey.

My advice is that if the dress code for the office is business casual, dress business casual. That means no suit. You can always dress better while still keeping your outfits business causal (blazers, sport coats, cardigans, well tailored wool trousers, properly fitting dress shirts, great shoes, good accessories, coordinated outfits, ect).

There are some guys on who take the attitude, if you like wearing suits, wears suits, and ignore all the slobs that have a problem with that......I agree with this line of thinking to an extent. However, in a work environment my experience has been that dressing well while still in accordance with the corporate culture can really help you create a great impression. Dressing outside what is dictated by the corporate culture (even if you do it well) can become a distraction, make you seem out of touch, push people to not take you seriously, and lead to a bad overall impression.

Comment

I agree with everything Me27 says and I'd add that the people who really LOVE the casual dress code might actually see you as a threat. You'd look to them like someone trying to raise the bar and jeopardize their happy, sloppy lifestyle.

That said, if you have a halfway decent excuse every month or so, you can probably get away with it. Just let anyone who asks know that you're doing it because you get a kick out of it. Or tell them you have to go to a funeral at lunch or something 😉

Comment

I wouldn't wear a suit. There is a risk of being seen as the weird, peacocky dandy, and even if you don't care what they think it might affect you negatively down the line, and that defeats the purpose of dressing well.

Besides, suits are basically uniforms and you have more creative freedom with casual clothing. You can stick to chinos, jeans, oxford or other casual button-ups, and polos as your base, then dress it up with unstructured blazers, cardigans, shawl sweaters, or v-necks paired with nice leather shoes (brogues, monks, loafers, chukkas). The combos and color-coordination options are endless.

Comment

I agree with [MENTION=15504]Me27[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15649]Dmerch[/MENTION] too. If the office is business casual then run with biz casual. That said, I used to work in an office env't that ran the gamut from office casual to suits and sometimes ties. The suits and ties were worn by the execs, while the rest work office casual. I only had suits when I started there so I wore suits (minus the tie). Because I stood out from the rest I started to get known for my suits. So much so that the bosses and the execs took notice.

Now this was fine with me as I wanted to climb the corporate ladder (although I ended up leaving - their loss) but if you don't want to attract attention to yourself, then sticking with the mold is likely the safer route.

Comment

Are we talking suit with a tie or suit without a tie? Some sartorial people dislike the suit w/o tie look while other like it. It is a step up from business casual but I always wear a tie with my suit.

If I was in your position and wanted to wear a suit with a tie, I would start with pants/sport coat/tie as it runs more casual. After a few weeks of that, move up to suit with a tie. Just transition it over time. I used to do Tie Wednesday's at a previous job and would get questions about why I was wearing a tie but I enjoyed it and people would say they remembered the day based on if I was wearing a tie.

If you move onto wearing a 3-piece...that's probably too much.

Comment

A suit would definitely stick out in an environment like the one you describe, which sounds similar to my office environment. From your description, it sounds like a suit would indeed be, as you put it, overkill. I love suits too but wearing one in my office would look unusual, to say the least, on anyone not at the director level or above. Our web guys wear jeans and un-tucked sport shirts or polos for the most part. I wear dress pants/chinos and a sport shirt/sweater with an occasional blazer M-Th, and jeans with a long-sleeve polo/sweater on Fridays.

A lot of places have a definite hierarchy and anyone outside of that is looked at sideways. That sort of intangible is not described in your post. It sounds like you have a good grip on what you should be wearing at your office. Standing out is usually good, but if it is only for the way you dress, it can be a detriment.

Comment

You stated you only see execs in suits, which means unless you're an exec or executive assistant, a suit is overkill.

Also, are you in IT? You specifically mention them. If you're in IT and they're wearing t-shirts, then a suit is way beyond overkill.

Comment

Maybe instead of a suit, throw a waistcoat or two into the mix now and then.

They can work casually just fine.

https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                    I agree with [MENTION=15504]Me27[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15649]Dmerch[/MENTION] too. If the office is business casual then run with biz casual. That said, I used to work in an office env't that ran the gamut from office casual to suits and sometimes ties. The suits and ties were worn by the execs, while the rest work office casual. I only had suits when I started there so I wore suits (minus the tie). Because I stood out from the rest I started to get known for my suits. So much so that the bosses and the execs took notice.

Now this was fine with me as I wanted to climb the corporate ladder (although I ended up leaving - their loss) but if you don't want to attract attention to yourself, then sticking with the mold is likely the safer route.
                    Here is the thing, the reason why i made this thread, is obviously because i feel like i could look like a big douche wearing a suit.

However, i have been wearing blazers/sport coats and not standard looks. And i got a reputation similr to you, where people did tkae notice and it did help my career.

for example, here is one of my favorite blazer looks that i did get a ton of complements/positive attention fro
                    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/560768591083623922/

so thats why im like well i have all these suits in the closet that arent being used. But, once again, im obviously on the fence about it. I dont care about getting more attention. I just dont want negative attention.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                      Are we talking suit with a tie or suit without a tie? Some sartorial people dislike the suit w/o tie look while other like it. It is a step up from business casual but I always wear a tie with my suit.

If I was in your position and wanted to wear a suit with a tie, I would start with pants/sport coat/tie as it runs more casual. After a few weeks of that, move up to suit with a tie. Just transition it over time. I used to do Tie Wednesday's at a previous job and would get questions about why I was wearing a tie but I enjoyed it and people would say they remembered the day based on if I was wearing a tie.

If you move onto wearing a 3-piece...that's probably too much.
                      I've already been rocking navy wool, brown tweed, charcoal tweed, and camel sportcoasts 1-2x's a week throughout the entire winter. so, it wouldnt be like out of the norm where people would think man he must have a job interview

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                        You stated you only see execs in suits, which means unless you're an exec or executive assistant, a suit is overkill.

Also, are you in IT? You specifically mention them. If you're in IT and they're wearing t-shirts, then a suit is way beyond overkill.
                        No, i am not in IT. The people in my department dress nicer than average as its more of a strategy/leadership type of department

Comment

Originally posted by jack90 View Post
                          Here is the thing, the reason why i made this thread, is obviously because i feel like i could look like a big douche wearing a suit.

However, i have been wearing blazers/sport coats and not standard looks. And i got a reputation similr to you, where people did tkae notice and it did help my career.

for example, here is one of my favorite blazer looks that i did get a ton of complements/positive attention fro

so thats why im like well i have all these suits in the closet that arent being used. But, once again, im obviously on the fence about it. I dont care about getting more attention. I just dont want negative attention.
                          If you are already wearing a lot of blazers/sport coats switching over to a suit would not be that hug of a jump. My worry though would be it will take your look from "wow that guy is doing business casual really well" to "why is that guy wearing a suit? Does he not realize the dress code here is business causal?" It's that whole too much of a good thing thing. It sounds like dressing well got you the right type of attention, now I would try to stay in the sweet spot of a step up from a lot of your coworkers, but still appropriate for the office you work in, I think if you keep getting more formal with your outfits you will start too look out of place.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90 View Post

My old man always told me to dress for the job you want, not the job you have. If the execs above you wear suits and you want to be in their position, I say go for it.

Comment

Dress for yourself. As long as you're meeting minimum dress code standards, send the haters westward.

Comment

Working...
                              X