Summer shirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer shirts

This is to go along with that shorts thread since I feel my summer shirts are lacking as I move out of my standard graphic tees.

What would everyone recommend for summer shirt staples?

What to wear for daily casual with shorts?

"Smart casual" with chinos?

Long sleeve linen shirts are my go-tos for the beach and resort, worn with canvas slip-ons, drivers, or flip-flops. I wear them with the sleeves rolled up to my elbows, or I roll the sleeves down a bit if I want to be shielded from the sun.

Polos are what I usually wear for the city, worn with canvas slip-ons, drivers, or stan smiths. Occasionally, I wear my oxfords with my shorts too, if it's not too hot.

These would work with chinos too, and the collars dress them up a bit.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Madras shirts in short or long sleeves. There are a ton of colors available from various makers, so you can go subtle or bright. They're my summer go-to with everything from canvas shorts to denim to chinos with a sportcoat...
      Mark

Comment

Long sleeve cotton shirts are the most versatile. You can roll up the sleeve when it is hot, and they look more stylish than short sleeves. I recommend these for smart causal. Staple colors are white and blue, and a pattern with a white base.

I also suggest polos. Make sure it is well fitting and looks sharp.

Comment

I'm going to wear more short sleeve button ups this summer. Similar to these

https://bonobos.com/products/riviera...d&shirt-size=m

Comment

Never short sleeved shirts. Linen is good.

Comment

Nothing wrong with short sleeved shirts but the fit must be perfect (especially w/r/t sleeve length/width), the shirt must be very casual (no Dwight Schrute-esque short sleeved dress shirts), and as with things like short shorts, it helps if you're in good shape.

With shorts I wear lightweight t-shirts or polos, or rarely a short sleeved button up shirt. With chinos or other trousers I wear a short sleeved shirt or long sleeves in a lightweight material like poplin.
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by GinghamKing View Post
                I'm going to wear more short sleeve button ups this summer. Similar to these

https://bonobos.com/products/riviera...d&shirt-size=m
                I tried one of those from bonobos last year and really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't right. It was a slim fit, but it was not slim enough through the stomach. I did notice they have a tailored fit now. All my bonobos long sleeve shirts are slim fit not tailored, but i guess the fit could be different.
                One other note, the fabric was a bit stiff, but that could have been the individual shirt I tried.

Comment

Along the same lines, does anyone have a favorite inexpensive cotton/linen blend shirt? My limited searches so far have found S&M, which has a spread collar which i don't really want, or Old Navy, where I'm not sure about the S/M/L sizing, although I guess tailoring is an option if I catch them on sale.

Comment

Last year I bought a couple of the short sleeve linen shirts from BR (on sale of course) http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=671741012 after reading the suggestion at the bottom https://dappered.com/2016/04/polopal...polos-of-2016/

I like it a lot, and will most likely be picking up more this year (waiting for sale+coupon).

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      Nothing wrong with short sleeved shirts but the fit must be perfect (especially w/r/t sleeve length/width), the shirt must be very casual (no Dwight Schrute-esque short sleeved dress shirts), and as with things like short shorts, it helps if you're in good shape.

With shorts I wear lightweight t-shirts or polos, or rarely a short sleeved button up shirt. With chinos or other trousers I wear a short sleeved shirt or long sleeves in a lightweight material like poplin.
                      Agree with all of the above. I've thought about trying to add a casual short-sleeved button-up to my wardrobe...but I've never found one that fit properly.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I have a few polos. I think I'll try adding a S/S Madras button down, pick up a few better t shirts. My choices are a bit limited due to needing tall sizes.

Sadly for my wallet I've come to accept that my long sleeve shirts need to be M2M. Maybe next time Spier and Mackay has a sale I'll have to throw in an order.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric S View Post
                          Along the same lines, does anyone have a favorite inexpensive cotton/linen blend shirt? My limited searches so far have found S&M, which has a spread collar which i don't really want, or Old Navy, where I'm not sure about the S/M/L sizing, although I guess tailoring is an option if I catch them on sale.
                          I've yet to find a linen or linen blend that I actually like as much as cotton. The fabrics are always slightly stiff and slightly scratchy. I've all but given up. I have one JCF linen shirt and doubt I'll buy any more. For whatever reason, I've also found that linen shirts seem to be cut longer in most brands. i.e. Old Navy linen shirts were a solid 1.5" longer in the arms and body than the cotton oxford shirts I bought at the same time. (Most brands don't seem to be that extreme, but most I tried were cut longer.)

I have found that J Crew's "slub cotton" and JCF's "homespun", which seems to be the exact same thing, are great for year-round wear. They're quite breathable, like linen, due to the weave, but they have a softer feel because they're cotton. I love these and my only complaints are that 1) on average they're a bit too slim for me in the body, and 2) J Crew's sizing is inconsistent, which means about 1 in 3 fit. I wear them in the summer with the sleeves rolled and in the cooler months with a sweater.

https://www.jcrew.com/c/mens_categor...ts/slub-cotton

https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...s/homespun.jsp

Comment

Working...
                          X