This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CT Shirt see through?

I am quite new to the forums, and I have just begun trying to update my wardrobe.

I recently bought a few Charles Tyrwhitt shirts and went for the extra slim twill in white. Overall it is a fantastic shirt and the fit is pretty solid.

I just have one complaint, and that is I can see my undershirt and arms through the shirt. I am definitely not a fan of this, and from what I read online, this is coming for poplin shirts, but the twill shirts should be significantly better. While it probably is, I can still make out my body outline in the thing. Is this normal? Unfortunately I sweat far to much to not wear an undershirt, and I wouldnt want my nips showing through anyways.

I have a wedding shower saturday and I was hoping to have a nice white dress shirt. I ordered some Brooks Brothers milano white shirts so I can compare them. I will keep the one the looks the best (obviously...) but I was curious if anyone else noticed this or had similar struggles.

Thanks for your time, and please bear with me while I try and learn what the hell I am talking about

are you sure you didn't get poplin inadvertently? I have both poplin and twill from them and the poplin is see-thru-ish while the twill isn't.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Try a light gray or nude colored undershirt, they match the tone of your skin better, so you won't see any lines through the shirt. The white undershirts are much lighter than skin tone, so the transition from shirt to skin is greater, and the lines are clearly visible.

Comment

I had the same issue with the white twill (and I know it's twill, because it has the diagonal texture instead of the flat weave of poplin). I'm planning to just roll with it, but I am definitely disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyum View Post
          Try a light gray or nude colored undershirt, they match the tone of your skin better, so you won't see any lines through the shirt. The white undershirts are much lighter than skin tone, so the transition from shirt to skin is greater, and the lines are clearly visible.
          this. I hate that look too and was about to invest in a lot more grey undershirts. Moot point now but if I get called back in, Iw ill go grey. I have a few crew knecks that I wore when I had on a tie and it worked wonderfully.

Comment

Just about every white shirt I own, regardless of quality, is see through with a white undershirt. The thicker ones (twills, oxfords) are a little less so, but this is not a special issue to CT.

I echo the gray/tan undershirt recommendation. I specifically have 5-6 gray undershirts for this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by lax101 View Post
              Just about every white shirt I own, regardless of quality, is see through with a white undershirt. The thicker ones (twills, oxfords) are a little less so, but this is not a special issue to CT.
              This is fair, but I expected the twill (which is described as "thick and warm" on CT's site) would be thicker. Heck, I've got shirts from JAB and Abboud that are thick enough not to show an undershirt. But, I've paid more for shirts I liked less.

Comment

Originally posted by AngusM View Post
                This is fair, but I expected the twill (which is described as "thick and warm" on CT's site) would be thicker. Heck, I've got shirts from JAB and Abboud that are thick enough not to show an undershirt. But, I've paid more for shirts I liked less.
                Fair point, but sometimes the delicate nature of a fabric is what also makes it expensive or desirable. Plus, you want a high quality shirt to breathe, which may (?) make it more see through.

I'd say that on my thinnest poplin shirts, they're so see-through that you can even see the outline of my undershirt collar. On th CT twills, you can see the outline of the shirt, but not the collar or any details.

Comment

Get the CT white shirt in "Buckingham Weave" you will not see a thing through it. I have two and they are great.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyum View Post
                    This ^^^ about all i buy anymore is light grey v neck undershirts and they are practically invisible under white dress shirts.

Comment

Fine twill can be a bit transparent as well. It's not just poplin. White fabrics this issue is always present. The only real way to get around this is to significantly increase the density of the cloth or use a complex weave which by nature has a higher density. Oxfords, heavy twills, like a royal twill or panama weaves are good to combat the issue.

Like others are saying, just wear a nude or light gray undershirt, that is the easiest solution.

Comment

You can always dye your white shirts with tea. Based on your complexion YMMV

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I got my Brooks Brothers shirts in, and they had more or less the same level of transparency.

One of the CT shirts I got was an "Egyptian" cotton twill which is soft as hell, so I think I am going to go for that one. The other ones are non-iron's which I do really like because I am lazy as hell. I will definitely check out some of the suggestions you guys made and maybe look into some grey undershirts.

Comment

Get the tan Mr. Davis undershirts (or grey), this site totally helped me with the "see thru" problem that I had by suggesting Mr. Davis or just tan or light gray.

Comment

I have a Charles Tyrwhitt light gray shirt and agree that their shirts are fantastic. I feel very comfortable in it though I don't really like to wear shirts.

Comment

Working...
                              X