Style question: Madras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Style question: Madras?

What are your opinions on madras, whether as a button-down shirt or shorts? Is it acceptably stylish summer wear or is wearing madras veering too much into the preppy territory?

Go for it.

Comment

This concern of "too much... preppy." Is there such a thing?

Comment

It can be overdone, you'd only want it on one article of clothing for instance. Also some pattersn can be out there.

Comment

I like it in theory but have yet to get any myself. I want to like madras sportcoats for the preppy irony of it, but I haven't been able to.

Comment

http://instagr.am/p/JpiaICRcqc/

Comment

I think a shirt, or shorts can look great in Summer but I would not go as far as wearing a madras sportcoat...I personally don't like the look.

I have yet to wear them out because it's been too cool here but I bought these shorts and they look great in person:

http://www.target.com/p/Meron-Men-s-...d/-/A-13888136

I will wear them with a solid polo shirt and boat shoes.

Comment

"Is it acceptably stylish summer wear or is wearing madras veering too much into the preppy territory?"

LOL--you're on a forum where 80% of the participants' style role model is Carleton Banks...I don't think too many people are going to say it's too preppy.

Comment

haha @OS, with @Juan's comment right after.

I like anything madras personally, although I rarely wear it. Just pair it with pretty tame everything else and it won't be "too much."

Comment

Carleton Banks? Really?

Dressing well does not equal preppy if that word even means anything anymore.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

I had to Google Carleton Banks.

Comment

You gotta OWN that shit. No half steppin, or you fail.

Comment

@OS - I actually think that look in your pic looks great. It's just not for me...I don't think I can OWN that shit. :-)

Comment

I love Madras shirts, it's like the summer equivalent of winter flannel plaids. Madras ties or pocket squares are also really great with a cotton or linen suit/sport coat, to casual it up a bit. The madras sport coat seems cool in theory but whenever I try one on it just looks too silly. If by some miracle I found one at a thrift store I'd pick one up but otherwise I have to pass.

This year I'm not much on patterned shorts and am keeping them mostly solid, but that's just personal preference. I think madras vs typical plaids is a step above.

Comment

Anybody?

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-tail...s&origin=index

Comment

Working...
                              X