X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Somebody please talk me out of them.
    Okay, will try.

That's a really contrasting burnishing on the toes. Too much, I think. Additionally, the streaky dye/burnish leading back to the pure walnut heels it looks less deliberate shading and more a poor dye job.

You've probably seen posts on this forum discussing whether to send back walnut Allen Edmonds because of uneven dye jobs and over-burnished toes.

The black sole is also a detriment to the walnut. The colour contrast draws attention to the sole, rather than the leather upper, and it very much looks like rubber.

Hope that helps...
    Last edited by Galcobar; March 3, 2018, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
      Okay, will try.

That's a really contrasting burnishing on the toes. Too much, I think. Additionally, the streaky dye/burnish leading back to the pure walnut heels it looks less deliberate shading and more a poor dye job.

You've probably seen posts on this forum discussing whether to send back walnut Allen Edmonds because of uneven dye jobs and over-burnished toes.

The black sole is also a detriment to the walnut. The colour contrast draws attention to the sole, rather than the leather upper, and it very much looks like rubber.

Hope that helps...
      I think you're right on the black sole. Thanks.

With these shoes, they will make them with brown soles--so I may go that way.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I'm just about to pull the trigger on these, because my wife just got a huge bonus and offered to buy them for me:

They look cheap for all of the reasons [MENTION=7205]Galcobar[/MENTION] listed, plus I'm not a fan of the wingtip chukka style either. Frankly I think they look awful: the shoe just makes me think of people first getting into "nicer" shoes who are trying to avoid the bicycle square toe black loafers, but go too fashion forward and end up with overly burnished tan shoes that scream cheap in a different way. Then again if you're really into it, how you feel about it is what ultimately matters.
        Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I'm just about to pull the trigger on these, because my wife just got a huge bonus and offered to buy them for me:

Another try:

The combination of chukka + tan color + burnishing + wingtip + chisel toe + contrasting dark brown leather strip on the back heel = ultimately just too much. You're likely to regret the purchase.

(Disclaimer: this reflect an attempt to dissuade and may or may not reflect my true assessment. But I myself probably wouldn't buy them.)

Comment

I think you should buy them so we have one review. It's very hard to say buy from X company or not if nobody does.

But, you shouldn't do it because this is an unknown company. And, if you really wanted semi-custom chukkas, you could just order the Carlos Santos style 7991 in your choice of color.

Comment

Originally posted by ianr View Post
              I think you should buy them so we have one review. It's very hard to say buy from X company or not if nobody does.

But, you shouldn't do it because this is an unknown company. And, if you really wanted semi-custom chukkas, you could just order the Carlos Santos style 7991 in your choice of color.
              Oh, that's a beautiful shoe!

Comment

Originally posted by Raakish View Post
                Another try:

The combination of chukka + tan color + burnishing + wingtip + chisel toe + contrasting dark brown leather strip on the back heel = ultimately just too much. You're likely to regret the purchase.

(Disclaimer: this reflect an attempt to dissuade and may or may not reflect my true assessment. But I myself probably wouldn't buy them.)
                Too much? You're talking to somebody who likes to wear crocodile embossed black leather shoes with white/tan/brown snakeskin vamps. But not really very often.

But, for now, you all have convinced me to not get them. Although I may eventually get another pair from Undandy in that color combination.

Thank you!

Comment

Too much? You're talking to somebody who likes to wear crocodile embossed black leather shoes with white/tan/brown snakeskin vamps
                  Pics?

Comment

Originally posted by jjc View Post
                    Hi guys, new to the forum, but thought I'd chime in since I've bought their shoes.
                    Same here. I just received two pairs of shoes from them - the same pair you ordered, but in black, and a pair of lace-up balmoral boots called the Rudyard Kipling. My opinion about the captoes are the same as yours. I haven't worn the Kiplings yet.

Generally, I don't have a problem with wrinkling of shoes - I expect them to. However, it's the way they wrinkle that matter to me. I believe that jjc is correct and the vamps are made from the lower part of the hide. Each vamp wrinkles differently. I don't like the fact that the right shoe wrinkled in a "veiny" way. This won't go away with time, unfortunately, so I'll have to live with them.

Overall, the shoes feel comfortable. I'm an 8.5 EEE, measured at Allen Edmunds. However, these are a bit loose. Please keep in mind that with Blake construction, machines are used to stitch. I also don't believe that they are tacked onto the shoe last the same way Goodyear welts are when the shoes are made. Using machines also means that the leather is not stretched as tightly over the shoe last as tightly as they would be by hand. Every piece of leather has differences that can only be felt if stretched and worked with by hand. Machines will do it uniformly with not discernment in variations between pieces of leather. Without being hand stretched, the fit on the last isn't as tight and can result in some variation in fit of the same size. Also based on the creasing of the vamp, I'm also taking a guess that the shoe isn't allowed to sit on the last for very long.

The stitching looks okay, but not great. On balmorals, I like the borders where the toe cap meets the vamp and the vamp meets the quarter to be flush. On these, you can see the raised overlap. Maybe this is a personal preference. My Gieves & Hawkes Goodyears were beautiful... inexperience and salted streets killed them.

Otherwise, I think it's an okay value for the money. The cheapest I could possibly find a seconds pair of leather shoes with leather sole is maybe $100 and I'll still want to add rubber to the outside - which would cost me $90 by the local cobbler where I live. For $200, it's not a terrible price. The shoes are comfortable with inserts placed inside. It won't take but a day to break these in.

Comment

I have ordered from them. They will offer good quality shoes at reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by okeini View Post
                        I have ordered from them. They will offer good quality shoes at reasonable price.
                        Did you get something custom or one of the standard models?

Which?

Comment

Did you get something custom or one of the standard models.

Which?
                          Standard models bro.

Comment

Working...
                          X