Undandy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undandy?

Anyone used Undandy for shoes? Thoughts? Used Jack Erwin in the past with good results but Undandy offers customization at about the same price point.

This is my first time hearing about them, I scanned the website pretty quickly. The first thing that jumped out at me is that I am not a fan of most of their shapes and how much of a chisel they put on the toe. It does not look like they use full-grain leather (like Jack Erwin does) and they don't seem to mention construction type anywhere (blake stitch/Goodyear welt/ect) which would lead me to believe we are looking at glued on soles and low quality leather for almost $200 a pair. Again, I just skimmed over the site quickly so I might be missing something, but from what i have seen this is a company I would stay away from.

Comment

Originally posted by Me27 View Post
      they don't seem to mention construction type anywhere (blake stitch/Goodyear welt/ect) which would lead me to believe we are looking at glued on soles and low quality leather for almost $200 a pair.
      Even on their FAQ they don't answer this.

HOW ARE THE SHOES MADE?
      All our shoes are entirely handcrafted by our skilled cobblers in Portugal, from cutting the unique patterns of the last you picked, to embossing the Undandy logo into the lining of your choice, each pair of shoes is a thorough work of precision.

All shoes are handmade. The fact that they don't say anything further about the construction strongly indicates that they are cemented construction.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
        Even on their FAQ they don't answer this.

HOW ARE THE SHOES MADE?
        All our shoes are entirely handcrafted by our skilled cobblers in Portugal, from cutting the unique patterns of the last you picked, to embossing the Undandy logo into the lining of your choice, each pair of shoes is a thorough work of precision.

All shoes are handmade. The fact that they don't say anything further about the construction strongly indicates that they are cemented construction.

Reasonable points. They have free returns - part of me is tempted to buy a pair and then do a review for the community.

Comment

Originally posted by sdbrewgeek View Post
          Reasonable points. They have free returns - part of me is tempted to buy a pair and then do a review for the community.
          In that price range you can get shoes made from full grain leather and made using construction methods that have proven to last decades with proper care (and an occasional new sole), so I am not really sure why you would want to have your time and money wrapped up in some corrected grain leather cemented construction shoes that will probably only hold up a few years and should probably be selling for about half what you will be paying....but if your really that interested in them knock yourself out, i'd be curious to hear what they are like in person.

Comment

Anyone used Undandy for shoes? Thoughts? Used Jack Erwin in the past with good results but Undandy offers customization at about the same price point.
            welcome to the forums. What about the brand intrigued you enough to register a new account today to ask about them?

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
              welcome to the forums. What about the brand intrigued you enough to register a new account today to ask about them?
              Thanks. I've been following dappered for some time. Not sure this vendor was special per se, but my shopping habits have evolved quite a bit over the last year or so. I think Bonobos is something close to a perfect model - we have a guideshop so I can try sizes on and see quality of fabrics, etc but use the online portal for ordering. I've had good experiences with other online retailers (Jack Erwin, Suitsupply) and am just diving into this more. The problem is in some areas it seems like there isn't a good information resource to tap. For example, if you google online shoe retailers there isn't a central repository or list of what is available, particularly in the online-only retail world. Is Undandy the right choice? What others are even out there? Not sure, but I thought these forums might be a good place to get and share information. Seems almost odd to almost revert to "word of mouth" but it seems like a good community to tap for information.

Comment

Thanks. I've been following dappered for some time. Not sure this vendor was special per se, but my shopping habits have evolved quite a bit over the last year or so. I think Bonobos is something close to a perfect model - we have a guideshop so I can try sizes on and see quality of fabrics, etc but use the online portal for ordering. I've had good experiences with other online retailers (Jack Erwin, Suitsupply) and am just diving into this more. The problem is in some areas it seems like there isn't a good information resource to tap. For example, if you google online shoe retailers there isn't a central repository or list of what is available, particularly in the online-only retail world. Is Undandy the right choice? What others are even out there? Not sure, but I thought these forums might be a good place to get and share information. Seems almost odd to almost revert to "word of mouth" but it seems like a good community to tap for information.
                The problem is with the success of online start-ups a la Suitsupply, Jack Erwin, etc., the number of new suit / shirt / shoe / watch companies popping up recently has been crazy, and the vast majority follow a similar business model and use the same marketing strategy. It's nearly impossible to follow all of the new ones and figure out which ones are good without getting some firsthand experience, but there are so many out there that being able to find people who've had firsthand experience is increasingly difficult as well.

To echo what others have said already, it's a big risk to spend $200 on a pair of shoes when you don't know what the construction is or what type of leather they use.
                Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post

To echo what others have said already, it's a big risk to spend $200 on a pair of shoes when you don't know what the construction is or what type of leather they use.
                  Agreed. Would not even consider it but for free returns. Obviously if I decide to give them a $200 loan to see what they can produce I will let the community know.

Comment

First, I don't know why they call themselves "Unhandy" when their products appear very dandyish. Next, I'm not a fan of most of those lasts...too chiseled (as mentioned by Me27). Lastly, they just don't look high quality, or at least not what I'd pay $200 for, even if I liked them. What type of customization would you be interested in?

Comment

The video on the first page of the website shows a pair of shoes being blake-stitched.

Comment

Originally posted by Spex View Post
                        First, I don't know why they call themselves "Unhandy" when their products appear very dandyish. Next, I'm not a fan of most of those lasts...too chiseled (as mentioned by Me27). Lastly, they just don't look high quality, or at least not what I'd pay $200 for, even if I liked them. What type of customization would you be interested in?
                        Largely would just like to find a shop where I know I can get exactly what I want and do so at low risk (i.e., free returns). Time to search traditional retailers is a bit ridiculous, even through aggregators. As a simple example, if you search for "derby" you miss every shoe some retailer calls an oxford even though its a derby. And then half of the time there is some detail about the shoe that is off.

Several on this thread have suggested there is better bang for buck out there. Are there other online retailers a-la Jack Erwin that you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
                          The video on the first page of the website shows a pair of shoes being blake-stitched.
                          Thanks for pointing that out. As for leather quality they say "calf leather." Must admit I'm not educated enough to know whether that answers the question of where it sits on the full grain/top grain, etc spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
                            That does look like a blake stitch (though I'm no expert). What are they smearing on the shoe at ~47 seconds, though? Is that cement? If they're cemented, resoling would be iffy even if they're blake stitched on top of the cement. I still find it odd that they would blake stitch and then not say so (even if it's cement+blake).

As for the leather, their FAQ says "genuine calf leather", so probably a pretty low grade of leather.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                              That does look like a blake stitch (though I'm no expert). What are they smearing on the shoe at ~47 seconds, though? Is that cement? If they're cemented, resoling would be iffy even if they're blake stitched on top of the cement. I still find it odd that they would blake stitch and then not say so (even if it's cement+blake).

As for the leather, their FAQ says "genuine calf leather", so probably a pretty low grade of leather.
                              Yeah that seems odd that they would do blake stitching, then not specifically say so. That can be a pretty huge selling point and something you'd think they would want to brag about. Literally every other company that I know of that does blake stitching mentions in the description of their shoe. Anyway, if the leather is low grade you might not even want to resole when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
                              X