Quick Jeans in the office question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Jeans in the office question

normally my office role dictates business professional, or at least nicer business casual (suit pretty much everyday)

but right now we can do jeans on Fridays

I know that dark blue denim is the way to go--I have a grey pair of denim that falls in the medium color spectrum, would those be acceptable?

specifically its these: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=485743002

Yeah, you'll be fine. Remember, though: fit is more important than color.

Comment

Are you asking if they are acceptable style wise, or acceptable at your work place? Style wise you should be fine, I think grey denim comes off as a little more casual than dark blue, but its a good look. If you are concerned about grey denim being acceptable to the company you work for I would definitely check with your, HR depart, or manager, or employee guidelines, or whatever first......while my bet is that grey will be compeltely fine some companies get really weird with casual Fridays and denim and I have seen a company with a "jeans must be blue - no other colors" policy before.

Comment

I might differ from most here but to me I would not wear gray denim right away. Especially if your office is normally business professional and just starting to dip into jeans Fridays.

I'd wait and see how other people come dressed those days. Personally I like to always be one step at or above the acceptable dress code. Our office (government + consultants) goes from suit every day down to hiking pants and a polo. But I don't think I've ever seen someone wear gray jeans. Now don't get me wrong they also wear very much dad shade of blue jeans so they aren't exactly the rule to follow.

Comment

I'm sure you'll be able to pull them off fine. I would double check with your works policies though. An example is mine allows us to wear jeans on Fridays but they must be blue and can't show significant fading. So basically we all wear dark rinse jeans.

Comment

as jeans, they look fine. for in the office, I have no way of gauging that. every office is different. If "jean day" is a new thing, I agree with some of the others...play it safe with dark blue and see how things pan out. Sometimes suit offices go total opposite on casual days and get way casual. Sometimes they expect dark jeans, button ups and wingtips. In my business casual office colored denim (anything not blue) was seen as too casual.

Comment

I think you'll be able to wear those around the office without issue. We are a 'jeans Friday' place and the pair you linked to would fit right in.

Comment

would it be worth looking at a medium or darker grey pair of denim for expanded "nice" denim options?

Comment

Originally posted by tairby View Post
                  normally my office role dictates business professional, or at least nicer business casual (suit pretty much everyday)

but right now we can do jeans on Fridays

I know that dark blue denim is the way to go--I have a grey pair of denim that falls in the medium color spectrum, would those be acceptable?

specifically its these: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=485743002
                  should be fine, they probably look like chinos at a glance. how do you like those? been looking for a pair in that shade of gray (they previously only had charcoal). hard to tell from the picture, but do those have whiskering?

Comment

the whiskering on my pair is VERY LIGHT, especially after the first wash

I put the color in the "lighter-medium" grey spectrum

Comment

Light gray jeans with whiskering and artificial aging around the cuffs and seams don't seem like a sure bet to me if your office is generally conservative, especially since BR's traveler jeans are so skinny. I'd also recommend waiting to see what other jeans end up being worn and accepted. If people are wearing acid washed jeans with torn knees and no one cares, then go for it. If everyone else is keeping it restricted to dark indigo with no fading, I'd leave these at home on Fridays.

Comment

I'll echo the opinion that you might want to give it a jeans day or two to see what others are wearing.

That being said, I'm fairly confident that your office will be filled with jeans far less "acceptable" than the grey pair you linked. Just because an office's dress code is business professional doesn't mean the people there are sartorially inclined. Brace for dad jeans. (or at least that's been my experience with jeans days)
                        Last edited by Deke; January 27, 2017, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Dark jeans.

Comment

I actually prefer dark gray jeans over dark blue/indigo as the former is easier to pair with a navy blazer or harrington by avoiding the almost-matching-but-not navy on navy look, and it's a true neutral color. I only have dark blue jeans coz if its iconic staple status.

Comment

I think it is more important to look professional than stylish in this case. Which kinda goes against the idea of jeans in the first place.

It is better to look like a responsible person (like a Dad!) as opposed to looking like a cool kid.

The risk with grey jeans is they might look faded. At work you want to look like you are wearing new jeans. So also no whiskers or fades.

I am not saying you can't look stylish, but it should be business stylish. I would also avoid overly skinny pants of any color (pants that follow the shape of your leg to closely).

Comment

Working...
                              X