Quality tie=Quality knot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality tie=Quality knot?

So for the longest time I didn't see any purpose for spending decent money on ties. I figured they are just pieces of fabric and it didn't matter, so all my ties are really cheap and crappy.

I really struggle to tie a nice knot in my ties. I got with the half windsor, and I know the mechanics of it just fine, but when I go to tighten her up the knot is all crappy and I never seem to get a dimple. Usually the knot is more of a horizontal rectangle than a triangle if ya know what I mean. Every time I try to throw a tie on in the morning it takes numerous tie attempts and sometimes I am just in a rush and say forget it.

For those of you who own quality ties, do you think part of my problem could be that the ties are crappy, or is it just me? Any advice on how to tie a good one? I feel like all the videos on youtube and stuff just show the mechanics and the steps, instead of tips on how to make it really crisp and good looking

quality can definitely make a difference. But a lot of it also happens in the loops, swoops and pulls. Get them nice and tight and the lines as correct as possible. Any slack anywhere and the shape and length usually goes haywire.

Comment

tie quality definitely makes a better knot, but it's also the way you tie it. when finishing and tightening try putting your pointer finger in the middle and using your thumb and middle finger to pull down to make a dimple

as far as shape goes, maybe try different knots, or tying them different ways. I use different knots on different ties because I have some cheaper ones and some nicer ones, so the thickness varies, but a Pratt knot is always a go to for me, and consistently triangular. With better ties I like a 4IH or Double 4IH

Comment

Yeah, like Ben said, if you put a finger through the look, it's generally easy to get a dimple. Also consider a full windor, that's my main knot and it is consistently triangular.

Comment

I'm the same with BenR. I usually go with the Pratt knot.

The few really nice ties I own, I'm never really sure what knot to go with. Still working on that. But yeah better fabric = better lay. A year ago I wouldn't have known the difference between a crap tie and a nice one, but now I can usually spot the difference from a mile away.

Comment

I'm going to have to give the Pratt a try. I've always been a half windsor guy myself.

Comment

No love for the double windsor?

I've found that the fabric does make a difference, but not necessarily "quality". For instance, thinner fabrics are generally good for tying thinner knots. Even a full windsor with a thin tie will not hold up to maybe a 4IH with a heavier fabric. It's just an observation I've made, not sure if the same will hold true for you.

As far as mechanics, I'm sure you can watch the youtube videos, etc. but one thing they make leave out is that you want to keep the knot reasonably close to your neck as you tie it. I find that if I work on the knot closer to my sternum than my neck I get lousy results. As suggest, definitely make sure you are pulling tight each step. As far as getting a full windsor, you will be able to see both mini knots before you fold the long part of the tie over them; make sure they are even before you continue on. If you find that rectangular lump when you are all said and done, pull out toward your shoulders on each of the thin piece of tie that wraps around your neck. This will give you more triangle. You can force the dimple before you fully tighten the neck by pinching just under the knot and pulling down on the long part of the tie. It takes a little adjustment but you should be set.

Comment

Thanks Don, that's exactly what I was looking for, a few tips. I do tend to tie it all lower and then have a long way to go to tighten it up, looks like I need to start closer to the neck

Comment

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, a tie's construction (usually reflected in its price) can make a huge difference. My only 7 fold tie consistently gets the best knots.

Comment

I used to go half or full windsor, but switched over to almost exclusively using a four-in-hand (wasn't a fan of huge knots anyway). Haven't run into much trouble, so I haven't tried the Pratt or others.

Comment

To those that are fans of the four in hands.. do you generally not wear spread collars? I have some narrower collars, but mostly couldn't think of at least half winsoring with most of my shirts

Comment

Here's a really interesting article on the mathematics of knots, if any of you guys are geeks like me: http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~tmf20/...per_nature.pdf

Comment

Working...
                        X