Several questions on this citizen watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several questions on this citizen watch

I would like a plain and simple black watch. No chronograph, no rotating bezel, no multifunction subdials, no colored hands, no textured dials. not too big, not too small.

I've hit upon this Citizen, the BM8740. It's very similar to this "aviation dial" featured on dappered years ago, but without the ion-plated case.

What I like:
    • Simplicity and legibility
    • Those cut-out hands
    • Apparently Citizens have excellent lume (and it's a cool blue color)?
    • 42mm size
    • Digging that "Bell and Ross/Sinn rip-off" look
    • I don't have a solar watch and I like the concept

What I'm not sure about:
    • All my watches have shiny stainless steel, this one is more matte grey. Thoughts?
    • Says 100m water resistance, but no screw down crown?
    • Speaking of, that big knurled crown... cool or weird looking?
    • Chunky green nylon strap? Could be switched easily
    • That day/date window bumping into the 3
    • Do solar watches really "last forever"? That can't be... what happens when the solar cell dies, is the watch just junk? How long does that take? If it's decades I don't suppose I care much.

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Northerner View Post
    I would like a plain and simple black watch. No chronograph, no rotating bezel, no multifunction subdials, no colored hands, no textured dials. not too big, not too small.

I've hit upon this Citizen, the BM8740. It's very similar to this "aviation dial" featured on dappered years ago, but without the ion-plated case.

What I like:
    • Simplicity and legibility
    • Those cut-out hands
    • Apparently Citizens have excellent lume (and it's a cool blue color)?
    • 42mm size
    • Digging that "Bell and Ross/Sinn rip-off" look
    • I don't have a solar watch and I like the concept

What I'm not sure about:
    • All my watches have shiny stainless steel, this one is more matte grey. Thoughts?
    • Says 100m water resistance, but no screw down crown?
    • Speaking of, that big knurled crown... cool or weird looking?
    • Chunky green nylon strap? Could be switched easily
    • That day/date window bumping into the 3
    • Do solar watches really "last forever"? That can't be... what happens when the solar cell dies, is the watch just junk? How long does that take? If it's decades I don't suppose I care much.

Thanks for the help.
    To respond to your list of apprehensions:
    • That watch is brushed stainless, which is in keeping with its military styling. A military watch wouldn't be shiny, right?
    • 100m WR with a push-pull crown is pretty standard. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you plan on using this extensively in the drink.
    • Knurled crowns are awesome.
    • Chunky cordura straps are also awesome.
    • Day/date window position is something that I have recently started obsessing over. It's one of the first things I take notice of. Can totally ruin a dial. Only you can know if it will bother you, but it would bother me. But I'm weird (most WISs are).
    • Don't have much experience with solar watches so I can't help you. I'm sure you can find a thread on WUS that picks apart this issue.

Comment

They can replace the capacitor if it fails. I've been wearing a Citizen SailHawk Stars&Stripes edition titanium daily -through showers and all- for over a decade. I just sent it in this summer for service because a pin failed in the band. While it was there they opened it up and replaced all the seals, serviced the movement, and replaced the capacitor. I have not been kind to this watch and it has been more reliable that I could ask for.

Comment

Tough call. I have never owned one of these watches so I can't comment on the longevity, etc. What concerns me about your post though is the listing of items that you don't like. Such as the date window bumping up in to the 3.

My concern would be that if it is bothering you now, will it continue to bother you each time you look at the watch to tell the time? Not a criticism of the watch, rather just something to think about if/when make the purchase. Cheers.

Comment

I agree with everything that has been said so far. I think overall its a nice looking watch from a reputable company, but if the date placement or big crown are not going to sit well with your personal preferences then I would look for other options (which there are a lot of for this style watch).

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
            Tough call. I have never owned one of these watches so I can't comment on the longevity, etc. What concerns me about your post though is the listing of items that you don't like. Such as the date window bumping up in to the 3.

My concern would be that if it is bothering you now, will it continue to bother you each time you look at the watch to tell the time? Not a criticism of the watch, rather just something to think about if/when make the purchase. Cheers.
            I'm actually not sure if it bothers me... it's just different than what i've seen. I have a seiko 5 pilot watch and their solution is to dispense with the 3 completely to accomodate the day/date.

It seems like the design solution in these pilot/military watches is either offset the date window (4 oclock instead of 3/6) or else remove a numeral entirely for date/small seconds:

It's more that this watch has a number of features i'm not familiar with. all my watches are regular shiny stainless, plain crown, battery/automatic, bracelet or leather.

Comment

I had that watch and really liked it. I sold it as I had too many watches that were similar in appearance (silver, largish, military-type appearance) but I had no complaints at all about it. It was a sturdy, solid watch and given the eco-drive movement, I don't doubt that it would be accurate.

Where did you find one of those, by the way? I thought that they were discontinued?

Here're some old photos of the one that I used to have:

Last edited by TMann; January 26, 2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Northerner View Post
                It's more that this watch has a number of features i'm not familiar with. all my watches are regular shiny stainless, plain crown, battery/automatic, bracelet or leather.
                Are you concerned you will see it in the metal and then dislike it? I wouldn't be worried at all about Eco-drive; it's pretty much bulletproof. Literally set it and forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                  I had that watch and really liked it. I sold it as I had too many watches that were similar in appearance (silver, largish, military-type appearance) but I had no complaints at all about it. It was a sturdy, solid watch and given the eco-drive movement, I don't doubt that it would be accurate.

Where did you find one of those, by the way? I thought that they were discontinued?
                  Fantastic, I love it on that leather strap. I think I have a dark brown strap that's pretty similar...

I saw it for $99 at Marshalls. I'm in Canada and sometimes you get a weird blend of the US stuff and "world-market"/Europe/Asia models - maybe it's still around in some other market? Or maybe just being cleared out and that's why it's at Marshalls?

OK now I know about the "sailhawk." A while ago i posted about ana-digi watches and I had given up on that... but now I'm interested again.

Comment

We bought a very similar citizen one for my father in law who had a digital watch for the longest time. He loves the bigger numbers, nylon strap, and the eco-drive. He loves it and wears it around constantly. I've also owned 3 citizen watches in my life. You won't have a problem with the eco-drive. My titanium eco-drive is over 10 years old with no issues. I stopped wearing it for a couple years. Pulled it out and placed it to charge on the window sill and it was good to go after a couple days. I now keep it in the rotation as my travel watch.

Personally I love having day/date, so it bumping into the 3 would not bother me. The only part I don't like is how big the numbers are in general. But that's a preference. As far as the model and brand, I recommend citizen to most that want to bump up from a drug store watch but aren't ready to pay $500+.

Comment

I've quite literally beat the hell out of this thing. My wife bought if for me somewhere around 2004 and I've worn it daily since. I actually race sailboats and use it to time starts. It has received more abuse than reasonable and has held up rather well.

Comment

I'll second the durability of the Eco Drive watches. I wore one daily for 10 years and never had a single problem with it

Comment

Working...
                        X