Question about suit pant wearing out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about suit pant wearing out?

Hey guys I was wondering what do you guys do when your suit pants wear out? Im not in this predicament but was just wondering. I imagine that the crotch of suit pants (100% wool) wear out pretty quick, and if it does, what do you guys do about it? The obvious answer is buy a pair of matching pant but some suits are not sold as separates. In that case, is the suit pretty much garbage then?

This is why I often get a 2nd pair of pants made for each suit I get made these days. I've found that my gait or something causes me to wear through dress pants relatively fast, so makes sense from a cost perspective--assuming that I'll want to continue wearing the suit by the time I would wear through one pair of pants. As such, I do this for suits that are in a mainstream or traditional color/pattern/fabric combo. I don't worry about it as much for seasonal suiting (which I feel is more apt to change with trends) or with statement pieces (don't have too many that aren't also in the seasonal bucket, but same idea).

If you're wanting to salvage a suit and don't or can't get the 2nd pair (which is best to do upon first purchase, as opposed to search for it after a year or 3 when it wears out), some tailors can do a pretty good patching them up. If it isn't able to be saved, then unless it's one of the few suit coats that can be worn as a sportcoat (and it's truly a rarity that this works, IMO), then the suit is pretty much garbage as you say. Just my 2 cents though...

Comment

Buying quality fabric helps. Suits, like shoes, also last longer of you rotate them. However everything wears out eventually. Even the best care will only go so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Hmm, how many wears are you guys approximately averaging for the trousers?

I suppose it's better to buy softly structured suits, so that the jacket isn't eventually orphaned.

Comment

Personally I've only had a problem (years ago) with cheap suits from Macy's. My Suitsupply suits are fine. I wear a suit everyday and one I wear once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X