AE Higgins Mill CXL Care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AE Higgins Mill CXL Care?

Just got my first pair of CXL boots, the AE Higgins Mill in natural chromexcel. Since his is my first pair of CXL shoes, is there anything I need to do or treat them with prior to wearing? Should I spray them with a waterproofing spray (I have the one from AE)?

I don't have the Higgins Mill, but I have a pair of CXL Wolverines. I just use Venetian Shoe Cream.

I also give them a brush after each time I wear them. CXL is a pull up leather, so doing this "pulls up" natural oils from the leather.

Using products like Sno-Seal can darken the leather.

Comment

I use saphir reno to condition, and neutral shoe cream every once in a while. You don't really need to baby chromexcel much, it develops a lot of character over time
      Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Thanks guys. So for initial prep before the first wear do you recommend spraying them with the AE water proofing spray?

Comment

I was just in my local AE store Wed night to make sure my new Higgins Mill were fit properly, and the saleswoman said to use nothing other than AE Leather Lotion (or similar). No polishes or sealers. Certainly to be taken with a grain of salt, but probably not terrible advice.

Comment

I've only used the waterproof spray on suede before. With leather if you use waterproof spray I've heard it makes it harder to treat it, and using something wax or cream based might be more effective than a spray. Unless you plan on using them in the pouring rain, I'd just leave them as is. I wear my Alden Indy CXL boots through light showers all the time and it's fine.
            Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

CXL fairs a bit better in rain than others in my experience. Unless you plan on getting them absolutely soaked I wouldn't bother with a water proofing spray. Just wipe them down and occasionally treat them to some Saphir and they should last you a long time.

Comment

How it's made written by Nick Horween himself (recommendation for neatsfoot oil) https://www.horween.com/blog/2010/03...mexcel%C2%AE-2
                Saphir greasy leather conditioner https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir...her-cream.html

I have the Long Branch boots in golden brown cxl and I just brush them on a semi-regular basis. I've applied the Saphir conditioner twice in the two years I've owned them. There's enough oil and wax in the leather that you really shouldn't need to use anything, just brush and wipe down with a damp cloth. One thing to keep in mind is that CXL will show scuffs and scratches easily when they're new, but just brush out the scuff and rub it to bring out the leathers oils and the scuff will eventually go away. If it's a really bad scuff you can use some neatsfoot oil or leather conditioner. I beat the crap out of my boots and they still look great.

Comment

I bought neatsfoot oil specifically because this was Nick Horween's recommendation. I previously used coconut oil and I won't do that again. It was messy and left clumps around the stitches on the welt.

Comment

Working...
                  X